"How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him" by Stewart Lee - The Guardian

Stewart Lee weighs in on Moz

How to treat Morrissey? Stop listening to him - The Guardian
By Stewart Lee
It’s hard when our idols disappoint us. But as it happened, my break from the former Smiths frontman came easily…

43445_david_foldvari_guardian.jpg

Illustration by David Foldvari.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, stop listening to him foreigners so the 97% of you on So-Low will go home and he won't have to worry about you foreigners camping out in front of The Sunset Marquis and hiding in the bushes on Potato Taco Tuesday and there won't be any kickball threads here anymore. I reckon mate inn n nn nnn nn it.

Most of those things happened decades ago. Morrissey's faux pas are current and ongoing.

I agree with the old boy on some things, I don't on others. I think his obsession with the Royal Family and Trump are ridiculous and boring. When he hoped Thatcher had died in the IRA bombing in Brighton. Was that nice? Not particularly. At the end of the day, all he's had is differing opions from the mainstream left. He hasn't killed anyone.

I find it no harder listening to Morrissey following his comments than I do listening to Stewart Lee after hearing him make the sound of eating a popadom for half an hour. They both had their reasons for wanting to break something, I guess.
As Stewart Lee was a Fall fan (and I was until MES started turning up with his granny on bongos around 1998) - yes, why did he remain in thrall to MES after 1983 (when MES by his own admission stopped voting Labour and could always be relied upon to upset the politically correct agenda), why do paedophile and murderers' records remain in his collection, if those are his rules as to what makes a record listenable?
Do I have to retrospectively scuttle off and research the beliefs and actions of everyone I own music by? No, I don't. I think people who have been raised on social media have this obsession, as does anyone still trying to turn the clock back by remaining in touch with that generation. It was never going to remotely affect Mark E Smith, that's for sure.
Morrissey has, whether by accident or design, highlighted this difference in the rules by which he is judged. Sorry there are still stragglers who think of him as their special artist, that's their problem. My advice to them is think of him an artist making better than average music - not so politically correct, nor yet a paedophile nor a murderer - no need to destroy records, no need to stop listening to them.

I find it no harder listening to Morrissey following his comments than I do listening to Stewart Lee after hearing him make the sound of eating a popadom for half an hour. They both had their reasons for wanting to break something, I guess.
As Stewart Lee was a Fall fan (and I was until MES started turning up with his granny on bongos around 1998) - yes, why did he remain in thrall to MES after 1983 (when MES by his own admission stopped voting Labour and could always be relied upon to upset the politically correct agenda), why do paedophile and murderers' records remain in his collection, if those are his rules as to what makes a record listenable?
Do I have to retrospectively scuttle off and research the beliefs and actions of everyone I own music by? No, I don't. I think people who have been raised on social media have this obsession, as does anyone still trying to turn the clock back by remaining in touch with that generation. It was never going to remotely affect Mark E Smith, that's for sure.
Morrissey has, whether by accident or design, highlighted this difference in the rules by which he is judged. Sorry there are still stragglers who think of him as their special artist, that's their problem. My advice to them is think of him an artist making better than average music - not so politically correct, nor yet a paedophile nor a murderer - no need to destroy records, no need to stop listening to them.

He probably has Charles Manson records in his collection and will keep them but get rid of Moz......that makes sense.

Well, I am a massive Stewart Lee fan for what it's worth; I see him 2/3 times every tour. I think he's the only legitimate genius working in British comedy today. Morrissey and Stew do seem to share a very similar misanthropic outlook albeit coming at it from different angles: one being hyper PC aware, the other seeming to have no notion of it. Stew is also self-knowing enough to acknowledge his reaction to Moz is different to his reaction to Mark E Smith - which is something I've noticed about people in their response to Morrissey compared to Bowie, Prince, etc, etc. It was a good article, I thought, not your average Moz attack piece by any means. I genuinely like both of them. The filmed version of his last show, Content Provider, is on BBC2 on Saturday 28th July at 11pm.

The article started off funny but ended badly. Who cares if he gives his Moz cds and albums to charity? He's just allowing someone else to listen to Moz. In fact he is doing Moz a favour. Nice one.

The thing is for most of us the man and the music were very much linked. I'm in the Stewart Lee camp, most of my Moz collection is going, will probably get shot this week if I have time.
Are you in the north of England? I'll come and pick it up....if it helps....

Are you in the north of England? I'll come and pick it up....if it helps....

Midlands, I need to have a listen to them all and check condition etc, hence having time to do it. I know Beethoven Was Deaf has a few crackles and a skip but got to check through all of them.

Back
Top Bottom