How, when, and where, did you lose your Moz virginity?

Mid 80s...

and I was sitting with my then-girlfriend (my how things have changed!) listening to her copy of Hatfull of Hollow (which I later permanently borrowed) and listeing to Handsome Devil and These Things Take Time OVER and OVER again. I can't really recall why these two songs stick in my head....for Handsome Devil, I think it was the sheer irony of the lyrics...."let my get my hands on your mammary glands" - never for a moment did I think Moz was speaking about an actual woman - so I guess I related to it since I wasn't out yet. I hadn't yet truly appreciated the glory of "This Charming Man" or any of the other excellent tracks on HOH.

..it was Thom Yorke's fault..

...1998, I was reading an interview (love Radiohead) and he mentioned Morrissey as one of his biggest influences. Went and bought Suedehead/The best of..put it on and almost died. Then I had a flashback of seeing the video of Everyday's like sunday, back home in Italy, when I was about 12.

The week after that I bought everything he ever recorded and the whole Smiths back catalogue in pretty much 'one-credit-card-swipe' (still hurts).

I adore the man.

Smash Hits

I read the lyrics to "Girlfriend in a coma" and thought they were hilarious. The guy on the photo (Morrissey) looked hot. I checked them out, came across "Bigmouth strikes again" and thought, hey, that sounds familiar, as my Mom used to call me Bigmouth (no, she is not the most loving mother). next thing I knew, The Smiths split up. I was devastated! So it took me till the 6th of May 1991 till I got to see Morrissey live. And touch his hand. And get an autograph. And have him talk to me (I couldn't answer, I was so shocked)...:o

the stepfather who bought the smiths

my stepdad bought the smiths album on cassette before we went to france for our annual summer holiday one year.

i hated it for three weeks. after 6 i was besotted, not that i was letting my stepdad know mind... when we got home, i appropriated the tape and stepdad never listened to the smiths again.

i think the next album he bought after that was madonna's immaculate collection. i may have runied his life.

first moz gig was wembly arena on what i assume was the kill unkle tour. right at the back of the bleedin place. loved every second. seen some sights since then - leeds festival in 2004 the best, closely followed by madstock. very drunk and regardless of what was going on around me, i found myself fighting through the sea of fat old skinheads and at the front of the stage. i never found the friends i was down there with...

one hope for the next tour - play some of the hits mozzer!

1985/6

It was very long ago. I was following R.E.M. around England cause they became too famous in the American South, 'round Atlanta, to see them anymore up close.

Was in a black cab riding back to the hotel on Park Lane in London reading the NME I'd just bought at HMV Oxford St. -- and reading about The Smiths, who I'd never heard of. I asked the cabbie to turn around, back to HMV and I got "Hatful of Hollow" on vinyl (before CDs really were popular).

That's why I'm "Senior Member" I guess.

Never looked back.

Panic on the Tube C4, one drizzly sunday late morning - 1986 I believe.

Remember thinking how excellent the song was and how cool it must be to be a child up on stage being a 'pop star'

How times have changed.

Morrissey and Marr got me interested in Music

I think alot of people are recalling the first time they heard or saw morrissey or the smiths. So if this is the case, I had Heaven Knows on a mix tape in 1984 and hated it. Then again, I was only about 10. It wasn't until I heard Strangeways in late 1990 that I truly became interested.

In October 1988. I remember seeing the video for "Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before" on Much Music. I was 14 and I found my savior and guiding light. I have loved Morrissey for 17 years; longer than I will probably ever love anyone else in my entire life.

I fisrt heard the Smiths on college radio in 87, had also seen some videos on MTV. I was so sad when I found out they split up. Got into them a yr too late.

Patrick McGoohan said:
The "Tomorrow" video in 1992, on MTV's "120 Minutes". Is that program even still being aired?

Sadly no. I believe it disappeared somewhere in the late 90's. Loved that show. Anyone know what happened to Matt Pinfield? That guy was an encyclopedia of music.

The Night I Lost My Moz Virginity...

It happened on Prom Night 98'.

I was with my date in the car...up on a hilltop called "Lover's Lane". I wanted to hear my STP and Pumpkins, but she insisted on hearing her Smiths cd. I told her
"No....I...I don't think i'm ready for that yet"

She said "C'mon...once it's in you won't regret it"

Then I was like:

"Uh...no...I really don't think I should"

"Do you really love me or not"?

"Well yeah...but...I just don't think this is the right time"

"Then what's the problem"?

"I just...I just feel like we be together a little longer before we do this"

"What?! I spend all this time and money on a dress, borrow my parent's mercedes, and bought you your prom ticket just to hear no?!"

Then she pulled it out. I was thinking to myself:

'This can't be happening'

She proceeded to shove it in. I didn't want to but she forced me. I couldn't stop her, it all happened so fast.

I've been lobbing it ever since :cool:

Where I live, no one really knows Morrissey... A year ago I was visiting my home town library. I was looking for some CD (can't remember what it was, though) and I saw "Bona Drag". I thought to myself "What an unusual name for an album." So of course I borrowed it. And here I am. Loving every song I have ever heard from him (yes, even "Kill Uncle").
I have been at his gig only once because he doesn't come here that often (and I'm only 17 so I can't travel to UK alone) but I will see him again at summer :D

Aged 16

Listening to Morrissey, You Are The Quarry on endless repeat during that fateful summer. Suddenly everything I had ever felt made sense. Actually I think I had 'Suedehead', 'Panic' and 'How Soon Is Now?' on my computer which made me buy YATQ. And there's no looking back...! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom