I Know Very Well How I Got My Name

Kevaxe2k2

Yeesh, nearly 20 years after the fact--I have finally discovered this song! No clue HOW I missed it. And no clue how this was left off Viva Hate.

That song is fantastic, some of Vini Reilly's best work. One of my favorites from the beginning; I bought the 12" single the same day I got "Viva Hate". Morrissey mentioned it in one of the big NME interviews in 1988 so I was looking out for it. The interviewer asked him about the line "When thirteen years old/Who dyed his hair gold", and Morrissey admitted that it was indeed autobiographical, adding that when he tried to wash it out his hair turned purple.

oh the line "you think you were my first love, but youre wrong, YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE"....ahhh, kills me every time...

oh the line "you think you were my first love, but youre wrong, YOU WERE THE ONLY ONE"....ahhh, kills me every time...

it truly is very sad.
thank god i've never had a love. poor morrissey, i thought things like that don't happen to people like him.

when the The Durutti Column released 'Vini Reilly' (Factory, 1989) it at 1st came with a free 7 inch single which had 'I Know Very Well How I Got My Name', but at the end of this recording Vini messed up the guitar platying and both him and Morrissey start to laugh.

i think it was called "i know very well i got my note wrong" :)

Last edited:
Re: I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong

A question for the experts here:

Is that Morrissey's voice giggling "..f***ing hell..." at the end of the track after Vini "got his note wrong"?

I love the song, but as far as I'm aware it was only The Durutti column who released it.

I believe that's Reilly at the enod of 'I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong' but I'm not certain on that.

http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/lyrics/othermor/iknwrong.htm

"A child in a curious phase
A man with sullen ways
Oh, I know very well how I got my name"

For some reason I really like that bit, I think it's the way it's sung, like many other Morrissey masterpieces.

Doubtful. Think its Vini! (Vini is a HARD name. Morrissey doesn't swear much!)

I always thought he sang "A man with Southern ways" instead of the actual sullen ways line...

Don't know why.... Southern ways seemed very Morrissey to me.

Cracking song though.

TT

Back
Top Bottom