I was Morrissey's Roadie - The Times article

Well, it was the first one that was mine, all mine -I bought with my money. Before I bought it, I was listening to my brother's Beatles, Pink Floyd and Supertramp records. Does that count for anything?! :D OK, do tell us your first vinyl purchase
Don't worry, I used to watch the Monkee's tv show!
I vividly remember this...my dad took me to Tower Records one weekend when I was in first grade. He said I could pick out one album and I remember feeling really overwhelmed by the size of the store. I remember thinking, "I'm going to buy an adult album" because up to that point all I had were Charlie Brown and Disney cassette tapes. Clearly, in a sheer act of desperation, I picked out
karatekid.jpg

WTF?! :eek: (Not sure if that really counts as an "album" but I honestly have a very vivid memory of this day.)

I also remember buying
superbowl.jpg

when I was in second grade. That one was on vinyl. WTF?!?!!!!

Also, being in the entertainment business is a lot different then having an interview and seeing if the bosses like you. I suppose actually meeting Morrissey was a part of that interview. I guess at the 1st meeting he didn't like the guy. So he had to go home. Well the record company coughed up the money for it. Hopefully the chap can get work with some more down to earth people.

One of the stipulations for the job was that the person wasn't supposed to be an enthusiastic fan. Morrissey could have recognized him and simply said no.

As it happens, the first time that I ever travelled to America – in 1991 – was to go as a VIP guest to Morrissey’s solo New York debut. He sold out Madison Square Gardens, 20,000 tickets in record time (the record had been held by U2). I still had my VIP pass; I considered scanning it and sending it, to prove that I am a bona fide fan. Luckily I didn’t, as I subsequently learnt that anyone resembling an overenthusiastic admirer of the man or his music was immediately vetoed.

Better also keep quiet, then, the fact that I was present at the first concert that the Smiths played outside of Manchester, at the Rock Garden in London in 1983; that I danced like a demon to What Difference Does it Make at a GLC “Jobs for Change” concert at the Jubilee Gardens in London the following year, and that I had been present, feeling uncomfortable, as Morrissey performed swathed in a Union Jack at Finsbury Park in London in 1992. And again ten years later as he reestablished himself, supported by the Libertines, at Brixton Academy, previewing the phenomenal comeback album You are the Quarry.

Re: has anyone seen this?

thats pretty much where we are at. I think a lot of us thought we'd grow up prettily together but that never occurred. Old Morrissey.................would I want half an hour with him.....probably not......could I listen to his voice all day for a year.............easily. Sad veiled bride please be happy......

Tales like this - and let's face it, they have been surfacing for years - illustrate the reason I would never wish to meet Morrissey under any circumstances. I'll stick with the image of him in my head, thank you, an intellectual outsider cast adrift on a sea of ridiculous pop star excess and idiots who would sack a lacky on a whim and for no good reason other than they looked at them in a funny way. (Errrr...)

These days it seems the standard bearer of alternative music is Nick Cave. At least he seems to know how to conduct himself in a civilised manner, and is producing thought provoking, challenging music in his fiftieth year while others I could mention of a similar age are resting on their (well deserved, admittedly) laurels. When we hear of Val Kilmer, Russell Crowe et al doing this kind of thing we slate them, and rightly so, for being puffed up, self-regarding fools. Whither Moz? Is he sacking people on idiotic pretexts with a subtle, ironic Mancunian wit that escapes me or is he just being a good, old fashioned superstar p***k?

Morrissey is a highly talented songwriter and a great showman, but often those traits come hand in hand with a gentle lunacy and a coterie of yes men in tow. Not for me, thank you. He's slowly turning into C. Montgomery Burns, and perhaps he should rename his backing band the Smithers, being both a nod to their more illustrious antecedents and seemingly summing up quite neatly their current role in the Morrissey organisation.

Perhaps if he didn't surround himself with sycophants endlessly treading on eggshells someone would have had the courage to tell him that in the song "I Like You", you do not take a new "tact" with someone in the context in which the line is written, you take a new "tack", and you spell "cemetry", "cemetery."

With these minor errors in mind can any of us know for sure that his finest hour was not really meant to be called "Thy Quorn Is Deaf", and far from being a swipe at the monarchy it was in fact another paean to vegetarianism? And this from an heir apparent of Keats and Yates, to boot. Is it just possible our beloved Morrissey, whose albums and singles range the length of my CD shelf here, is not quite the charming intellectual he seeks to portray himself as? Is it possible he is instead a brute and a bully, with an ear for a tune and a pleasing turn of phrase?

His new album had better be an improvement on the second rate stomp that made up most of Ringleader Of The Tormentors, because I'm going off the Virgin Queen quite rapidly having followed him since 1983. Stories like this disgust me as they betray a lack of human empathy that is disturbing.

When you examine Morrissey's songbook they are all pretty much of an insular, introspective nature, in which others are nearly always there to take the blame for our hero's demise and to feel the sharp nib of his pen and verbal dexterity. It is that which appeals to those of us who see ourselves in much the same light, for whatever reason. But despite this we remain a 'market' even if we see ourselves as followers and somehow blessed with an insight others do not possess. It doesn't necessarily make it true and when the album sales are totted up the accountants will not include a line for "plus goodwill of his audience". He isn't J.J. Barrie. Yet. He seems to have a lot in common with J.M. Barrie though, as he seems to have created a fantasy world for himself.

He is no different to any other pop star in that sales are all and the things that do make him different, not least the image he projects and our perception of it, should be guarded, and that should begin with him behaving not like a spoiled brat, but like the couth and charming gentle man we have all bought into. Few pop stars today rely on a carefully cultivated image to the extent he does.

He has an absolute right to hire and fire as he sees fit, but to do it on a seeming whim and to then not have the courage or courtesy to disclose the reason to the person concerned is pitiable. Morrissey appears to be in danger of becoming the Ceauşescu of pop, and we all know what happened to him. One day the crowd booed instead of cheering. All glory is fleeting.

If it makes our author feel any better I would have been out of there when the first hint of that kind of blithering imbecility was detected. He did well to last as long as he did and should be congratulated on surviving a night in the madhouse with his senses intact. He was treated shabbily if his tale is true, and let's be honest, it has a distinct ring of veracity to it, doesn't it?

Perhaps the reason Morrissey loathes Elton John is not Reg's music, but that he clearly sees himself in the well documented excesses of the grand dame.

If you hire and fire people based on the contents of their iPod playlist and/or dress sense, above their ability to actually do the job I would suggest you really need to take a long hard look at yourself because there is a very good chance you may be insane.

My first single? 'White Horses' by Jacky. 'Gis a job.

This doesn't suprise me whatsoever. This is the guy who made his drummer cut his hair before he went on stage after all. One quote of his springs to mind, something to the effect of 'I can't wait until December to see if someone is a nice person'.
I'd never meet Moz, I'd be forever second guessing myself, more so than I already do. Morrissey's not nice, but if I wanted nice I'd be following Zac Efron.

For the record.. my first album was either a disney compiliation one or abba's greatest hits, first single was Bring it all back by S Club 7 when I was about 8. I'd be straight out the door.

I think our man must be clairvoyant. If this guy ratted this much stuff out about Moz that he picked up over the course of one day, think of what he would have written in his tell all book at the end of the tour. Moz fired him just in time.

I think our man must be clairvoyant. If this guy ratted this much stuff out about Moz that he picked up over the course of one day, think of what he would have written in his tell all book at the end of the tour. Moz fired him just in time.

Ah,ah,ah!! great point!! since he has been touring for 20 years and this is the first time something like this happens...:eek: MOZ THE CLAIRVOYANT :D:D

Look we all know he's devious ,trucculent etc....and a bit of a bitch.but thats what we like.:D

We don't want him getting all cuddly like Cliff Richard.

We don't know why he was fired and we only have his word for it that he did nothing wrong. A balanced point of view isn't going to get him an article published in the press.

It certainly wasn't because he wasn't glamorous enough, most of us here who have seen Morrissey's roadies on stage setting up for a gig will know they can't be chosen for their looks :D

Yes, he was probably very bad at ironing the musicians's clothes.:p
You remind me of a roadie I saw on stage too in 2006, who looked like a frog. I still remember him...He was everything but glamorous:rolleyes:but he was not in charge of Morrissey-B...

I'm sad that Mr. Morrissey needs to be so mean, and if this
is true it's a real lesson to any Morrissey fans that it would
be a bad idea to try to work for him.
Unless you told him your first record you ever bought was a chanting album devoted to vegetarianism and nice looking men.
Unless you told him that you live entirely on rice cakes.
Unless you told him that you have absolutely no affiliation with
any commercial or non commercial musical, artistic, fashion icons.
Unless you had a personality which swaying from being slightly
witty and very quiet, but you looked captivating in a non conformist but conservative,
maybe fifties style suit.....
Gee, I dunno....I just don't know why he has to be so mean. What a shame. What a shame.... (tee hee)

Someone in his camp has good instincts/intuition.

Morrissey Un-Masked: A Roadie Speaks

posted Friday, January 25, 2008

Tags: Morrissey

Journalist Andrew Winters went undercover as a roadie on Morrissey's last tour - and boy, does he have some stories to tell. No one will be surprised that the Moz is eccentric, a tad disdainful, radically vegetarian, and a bit of a diva - all things that can be gleaned from his music. But even the biggest Moz fans will smirk at some of the hoops Winters had to roll through to be Morrissey's roadie. He writes about his experience in The Times:

1168608091196.jpg

Last edited:

Tales like this - and let's face it, they have been surfacing for years - illustrate the reason I would never wish to meet Morrissey under any circumstances. I'll stick with the image of him in my head, thank you, an intellectual outsider cast adrift on a sea of ridiculous pop star excess and idiots who would sack a lacky on a whim and for no good reason other than they looked at them in a funny way. (Errrr...)

These days it seems the standard bearer of alternative music is Nick Cave. At least he seems to know how to conduct himself in a civilised manner, and is producing thought provoking, challenging music in his fiftieth year while others I could mention of a similar age are resting on their (well deserved, admittedly) laurels. When we hear of Val Kilmer, Russell Crowe et al doing this kind of thing we slate them, and rightly so, for being puffed up, self-regarding fools. Whither Moz? Is he sacking people on idiotic pretexts with a subtle, ironic Mancunian wit that escapes me or is he just being a good, old fashioned superstar p***k?

Morrissey is a highly talented songwriter and a great showman, but often those traits come hand in hand with a gentle lunacy and a coterie of yes men in tow. Not for me, thank you. He's slowly turning into C. Montgomery Burns, and perhaps he should rename his backing band the Smithers, being both a nod to their more illustrious antecedents and seemingly summing up quite neatly their current role in the Morrissey organisation.

Perhaps if he didn't surround himself with sycophants endlessly treading on eggshells someone would have had the courage to tell him that in the song "I Like You", you do not take a new "tact" with someone in the context in which the line is written, you take a new "tack", and you spell "cemetry", "cemetery."

With these minor errors in mind can any of us know for sure that his finest hour was not really meant to be called "Thy Quorn Is Deaf", and far from being a swipe at the monarchy it was in fact another paean to vegetarianism? And this from an heir apparent of Keats and Yates, to boot. Is it just possible our beloved Morrissey, whose albums and singles range the length of my CD shelf here, is not quite the charming intellectual he seeks to portray himself as? Is it possible he is instead a brute and a bully, with an ear for a tune and a pleasing turn of phrase?

His new album had better be an improvement on the second rate stomp that made up most of Ringleader Of The Tormentors, because I'm going off the Virgin Queen quite rapidly having followed him since 1983. Stories like this disgust me as they betray a lack of human empathy that is disturbing.

When you examine Morrissey's songbook they are all pretty much of an insular, introspective nature, in which others are nearly always there to take the blame for our hero's demise and to feel the sharp nib of his pen and verbal dexterity. It is that which appeals to those of us who see ourselves in much the same light, for whatever reason. But despite this we remain a 'market' even if we see ourselves as followers and somehow blessed with an insight others do not possess. It doesn't necessarily make it true and when the album sales are totted up the accountants will not include a line for "plus goodwill of his audience". He isn't J.J. Barrie. Yet. He seems to have a lot in common with J.M. Barrie though, as he seems to have created a fantasy world for himself.

He is no different to any other pop star in that sales are all and the things that do make him different, not least the image he projects and our perception of it, should be guarded, and that should begin with him behaving not like a spoiled brat, but like the couth and charming gentle man we have all bought into. Few pop stars today rely on a carefully cultivated image to the extent he does.

He has an absolute right to hire and fire as he sees fit, but to do it on a seeming whim and to then not have the courage or courtesy to disclose the reason to the person concerned is pitiable. Morrissey appears to be in danger of becoming the Ceauşescu of pop, and we all know what happened to him. One day the crowd booed instead of cheering. All glory is fleeting.

If it makes our author feel any better I would have been out of there when the first hint of that kind of blithering imbecility was detected. He did well to last as long as he did and should be congratulated on surviving a night in the madhouse with his senses intact. He was treated shabbily if his tale is true, and let's be honest, it has a distinct ring of veracity to it, doesn't it?

Perhaps the reason Morrissey loathes Elton John is not Reg's music, but that he clearly sees himself in the well documented excesses of the grand dame.

If you hire and fire people based on the contents of their iPod playlist and/or dress sense, above their ability to actually do the job I would suggest you really need to take a long hard look at yourself because there is a very good chance you may be insane.

My first single? 'White Horses' by Jacky. 'Gis a job.

Outstanding post. I'm not sure I will ever again look at his backing band without wanting to call them The Smithers.

More for their perceived sycophancy than any resemblance of Morrissey's to Mr. Burns, though. We don't know that Morrissey fired the roadie. The obvious point about Morrissey firing someone on such scant grounds for dismissal is perhaps too obvious for his fans: someone who didn't know Morrissey from Morris the Cat would doubtless conclude from reading the article that not Morrissey, but someone in Morrissey's camp, did the firing.

About carefully cultivated images: as Dave and some other people have already said, assuming Morrissey did the firing, or at any rate assuming Andrew's description of life in Morrissey's camp was more or less accurate, this doesn't really overturn any image of himself he has hidden behind, Wizard of Oz-style. I recall an interview as far back as '84 or '85 in which he declared the discovery of "one rancid LP" in someone's record collection would necessitate excommunication. I found that funny and endearing when I read it-- and yet I also believed he was being completely serious.

Pop stars aren't civil servants. Whatever bizarre mix of personality traits causes them to behave as they do is fine by me. He is charming, caring, and compassionate where it counts, and as far as honesty goes, no pop star has been more truthful about himself. Am I applying a double standard? You bet. I will give any mad genius a pass-- so long as he is actually a mad genius.

My first album was Fastball's All The Pain Money Can Buy

I think the article seems a little fanciful....like some have said, there is no evidence that Morrissey did the firing. And some things the journalist mentions are vague, or could have been gathered from other sources (such as the perfume spraying, which has been mentioned here). And being in charge of the bands suits seems like a very odd thing to do.

My first album would have been something by Kylie Minogue.

Back
Top Bottom