I'm not a man intro?

Iloveopiates

I don't get it? I could see if the extended intro somehow was a buildup to the song or at least had some type of melody to it that some how connected it on an emotional level? At least with other 7 plus minute songs like Pigsty,Teachers afraid, and even the long version of the moon river cover they musically make sense. I'm not a man's intro is just an ambient background synth sound for roughly 1:40. What's the point? Is there any point? I'm not sure which of the three wrote the music to this one, Gustavo,Boz or Jesse? But perhaps when conceiving the original demo idea they thought it might create some space for Morrissey to sing or do some of his non lyrical melody singing La..la.la. type stuff? I don't know it just doesn't make sense to me. As I say, its not like its an emotional buildup that helps to define the song as a whole??? If anything I find it kind of annoying because I like the song and it just kills the album's momentum after the driving rhythm of Neil Cassidy. I could perhaps see a useless intro like this leading into a hidden track or an album's closing track at best, but randomly before the 3rd track? Unless for the regular 12 track version they were trying to get the length of the album time to a certain amount? If there is no particular reason I find it rather pointless.

Its almost the same pointless thing as having instrumentals on an album (sorry Johnny), when Morrissey is the singer/Lyricist in your band and at your disposal vocally. I'm not as much as a Smith's expert as I am Morrissey so corrections welcomed. But although I don't mind the Smith's instrumentals, they were probably ideas that Morrissey couldn't work anything out for Vocally I would guess? Perhaps Johnny or someone in the group or the producer liked them enough to include them on an album? Either that or Johnny just wanted to be featured on a couple of songs? Unless they were just a fan of an album with an instrumental or two?

Last edited:
I don't get it? I could see if the extended intro somehow was a buildup to the song or at least had some type of melody to it that some how connected it on an emotional level? At least with other 7 plus minute songs like Pigsty,Teachers afraid, and even the long version of the moon river cover they musically make sense. I'm not a man's intro is just an ambient background synth sound for roughly 1:40. What's the point? Is there any point? I'm not sure which of the three wrote the music to this one, Gustavo,Boz or Jesse? But perhaps when conceiving the original demo idea they thought it might create some space for Morrissey to sing or do some of his non lyrical melody singing La..la.la. type stuff? I don't know it just doesn't make sense to me. As I say, its not like its an emotional buildup that helps to define the song as a whole??? If anything I find it kind of annoying because I like the song and it just kills the album's momentum after the driving rhythm of Neil Cassidy. I could perhaps see a useless intro like this leading into a hidden track or an album's closing track at best, but randomly before the 3rd track? Unless for the regular 12 track version they were trying to get the length of the album time to a certain amount? If there is no particular reason I find it rather pointless.

Its almost the same pointless thing as having instrumentals on an album (sorry Johnny), when Morrissey is the singer/Lyricist in your band and at your disposal vocally. I'm not as much as a Smith's expert as I am Morrissey so corrections welcomed. But although I don't mind the Smith's instrumentals, they were probably ideas that Morrissey couldn't work anything out for Vocally I would guess? Perhaps Johnny or someone in the group or the producer liked them enough to include them on an album? Either that or Johnny just wanted to be featured on a couple of songs? Unless they were just a fan of an album with an instrumental or two?

Life is hell, isn't it? Pure hell.

HELL!

Well, here's a thought I just pulled out of my ass that will hopefully make you feel a little bit better about the apparent meaninglessness of it:
Maybe that intro is symbolic of the theme. It's slow, quiet, gentle... "passive"... not raucous, boastful or "in your face".

I know that's an incredibly half-baked notion, but there you have it.

I think mine is broken

it's like

eeeeee..........ooooooo............eeeeeeee.........chk chk chk............eeeeeeee.................oooooooooo

There were no instrumental tracks on 'proper' Smiths albums - they were just B Sides that were later issued on compilation albums and a live album. I had always presumed that Morrissey simply couldn't come up with any appropriate lyrics/vocals to fit the backing tracks, but they were too good to just throw away? Morrissey must have at least liked 'The Draize Train', or he wouldn't have put it on 'Rank' (which was compiled solely by Morrissey after Johnny had left the band).

Back
Top Bottom