...I'm surprised someone hasn't made a thread abot this yet...

I agree, it's mainly built on prejudices. That it's hard to maintain a social life because of the darkness is strange, how the hell did they manage it then before the electricity, people has live here for thousands of years. And that Finnish teenagers are keen to use the internet is nothing unique for Finland, it's world wide.

Jossu I hope you're alright, take care of yourself! The entire North is in chock but you're having the hardest time now.

Thank you, even though I didn't have any personal relationship with any of the victims.

I feel so sorry for all the victims and their families. But I feel sorry for the parents of the shooter, too.

How did the parents not notice their child is having problems?

they just mightve. but at the same time, if you see your child might be depressed or angry or disturbed, you NEVER think in a MILLION years that your kid's gonna go shoot up a school and then themselves. hindsight is always 20/20.

How horrible. I don't think that the news here in the US has mentioned it at all; of course, it doesn't help that we couldn't identify Finland on the map anyway.

Or, you just didn't read the newspapers. It was in the news in the USA. Hell, it even made the Drudge Report - the Big Time!

Last year, when some freaky, mute Korean-American who was way f***ed up well before he ever came to the USA, and who had given professors and fellow students at Virginia Tech ample warming of his mental illness, shot up the place, So-Lowers called, in record time, for banning guns in the USA for non-mentally-ill, law-abiding citizens. Now, some deranged, mentally ill kid in Finland who has never set foot in the USA goes off and, again, we're supposed to abolish the 2nd Amendment in the American Constitution and get rid of guns for all law-abiding, mentally healthy citizens as a result. The papers said this kid went to a school with just 400 students. I went to a private high school of about 400 students and the Headmaster liked to say, "At our school, every student is known and loved." I thought that was dorky-sounding at the time, but it was true - the school went to special effort to know each and every student and what was going on with them and made them feel very cared about, and the size of the school made this easy. It's too bad that that's not the case at every school, especially not government schools. If it were, students with serious mental problems and negligent parents would not go unnoticed.

Last edited:
I think that you've just proven that even small, private schools don't always succeed at this.

I'm sorry your government school didn't encourage you to read the newspapers, didn't make you learn where Finland is on a map ("it doesn't help that we couldn't identify Finland on the map anyway"), and didn't make you study the Bill of Rights.

I'm sorry your government school didn't encourage you to read the newspapers, didn't make you learn where Finland is on a map ("it doesn't help that we couldn't identify Finland on the map anyway"), and didn't make you study the Bill of Rights.

You're entertaining. You're 0 for 3, but do go on. It sure as hell beats watching Kewpie torpedo every new thread that comes up in the main section.

How did the parents not notice their child is having problems?
I'm not a parent, so i can't speak from their perspective. But, parents can't notice every detail of whats going on in their childs life or mind. Even if they thought something was not quite right, they obviously didn't realise quite how bad it was. I'm speaking as someone who had serious problems, over several years, without anyone noticing. I've since told my parents about it to some extent, and they are shocked that i hid it for so long. Just as i imagine the parents in this case must feel. And off course, i have the deepest sympathy for all the victims and their families.

Thats all? wow we did GOOD that year!!!! you know, we gotta protect our herrin stash.

how many people are in finland vs baltimore, i think they count balto county in that but most of the shizzit goes down in the city. what an unsafe place. we are just like detroit, we're getting there.
:(

Most of my experiences of your city are from:
- passing through going to D.C.
- Cal Ripken Jr / Orioles
- Homicide: Life on the Street especially when they did L&O crossovers.

Or, you just didn't read the newspapers. It was in the news in the USA. Hell, it even made the Drudge Report - the Big Time!

Last year, when some freaky, mute Korean-American who was way f***ed up well before he ever came to the USA, and who had given professors and fellow students at Virginia Tech ample warming of his mental illness, shot up the place, So-Lowers called, in record time, for banning guns in the USA for non-mentally-ill, law-abiding citizens. Now, some deranged, mentally ill kid in Finland who has never set foot in the USA goes off and, again, we're supposed to abolish the 2nd Amendment in the American Constitution and get rid of guns for all law-abiding, mentally healthy citizens as a result. The papers said this kid went to a school with just 400 students. I went to a private high school of about 400 students and the Headmaster liked to say, "At our school, every student is known and loved." I thought that was dorky-sounding at the time, but it was true - the school went to special effort to know each and every student and what was going on with them and made them feel very cared about, and the size of the school made this easy. It's too bad that that's not the case at every school, especially not government schools. If it were, students with serious mental problems and negligent parents would not go unnoticed.

You really seems to love the US Constitution, what it got to do with the shooting in Finland however is more than I know.
Still the fact that it is written in the constitution doesn't make it de facto good and worth preserving. Plus I don't see why mentally healthy citizen couldn't commit a crime or even a murder or why there couldn't be an accident of some sort. But still it's it's hard for us to know what you're really talking about since you don't mention why people should be allowed to have guns and why the American Constitution is such an important authority in this case.

You really seems to love the US Constitution, what it got to do with the shooting in Finland however is more than I know.
Still the fact that it is written in the constitution doesn't make it de facto good and worth preserving. Plus I don't see why mentally healthy citizen couldn't commit a crime or even a murder or why there couldn't be an accident of some sort. But still it's it's hard for us to know what you're really talking about since you don't mention why people should be allowed to have guns and why the American Constitution is such an important authority in this case.

The Constitution and flag are what Americans swear fealty to instead of kings and queens. I'll let Theo expound on the gun culture in this country.

Thats all? wow we did GOOD that year!!!! you know, we gotta protect our herrin stash.

how many people are in finland vs baltimore, i think they count balto county in that but most of the shizzit goes down in the city. what an unsafe place. we are just like detroit, we're getting there.

oooooh! Thanks!

In all seriousness i do see what guns do to people far too much here in baltimore. I dont think making them illegal is going to help, i think its too late for that, but it does make me sad when i see people in comas that just were in the wrong place at the wrong time. :(

why are you trying to add spin to the homocide figures in either country?

I think america should ban guns, but i agree that it is late and the affects of a ban would not be seen for 20 or more years. The trick is to make it hard for nutcases to get hold of guns

...about the tragedy in Finland yesterday when eight teachers and pupils were killed at Jokela High School.

My deepest condolences to the victims and their families!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jokela_school_shooting

my condoleances also for the ones who stay behind, and the one involved

It doesn't make it less important, but hings like this happen any day on
a school around the world

today a teacher is more dangerous as a job than a policeman

what became of this world, in the 80's things were still kinda OK

Back
Top Bottom