Is Morrissey making any $ from this tour?

Morrissey is still with Sanctuary.

Sanctuary Records is no more, kaput, consigned to the dustbin of history. Read on:

April 04, 2007 Billboard

British independent music company Sanctuary Group Plc will shut down its U.S. label this summer, according to a source within the company. Sanctuary did not return calls for comment.

U.K. execs arrived in New York last Thursday (March 29) and alerted staffers the operation would be closing June 30. The company will remain a front-line label in the U.k. with catalog, licensing and an online presence.

The ailing firm had admitted in November 2006 that it was looking to sell parts of its business, including its stake in the independent Rough Trade label. As recently as last month, the company reported it was "making good progress" with its program of strategic disposals, and planned to realign its recorded product operations in the United States.

The U.S. label is home to artists such as Morrissey, Widespread Panic, Motorhead, Idlewild and former Cranberries singer Dolores O'Riordan.

Morrissey is still with Sanctuary.
How do you know? Is that a guess?

If that is true then he should be very pissed off that they are making absolutely no effort to publicise his tour online. It wouldn't take them five minutes to upload the dates to his myspace page, something they had no trouble doing last year. Maybe we'll see an email soon from him admonishing them about it that will be mysteriously leaked.

Say what you want about the kind of jack Moz is making from this tour. We all know his crew isn't seeing a single dime :mad:

It sounds so crass, but I wonder if there are any profits to be made for our boy, even with some tickets hitting the $135 mark.
With some venues not sold out, and the incredible costs of venue rental, busses, crew, band, SECURITY!, back drops, Kristeen Young, countless new Gucci shirts and I am sure many many more associated costs, it just seems like he might not break even...
What do you think?

Uh, he'd be making wadloads of cash. You can be sure of that. And if he's not, he has wadloads of cash to finance it.

Last edited:
Say what you want about the kind of jack Moz is making from this tour. We all know his crew isn't seeing a single dime :mad:

Yes, that's right. All his crew, many of whom have worked for him for years and are highly skilled so could find other work at the drop of a hat, work for nothing. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the feedback everyone, :cool:

You all have very valid points but:

There hasn't been an official announcement about Morrissey's departure from Sanctuary, has there?

Also, Morrissey's contract with Sanctuary is based in the UK, not the US's part of Sanctuary, right?

I don't know why there hasn't been any updates about his current US Tour but I hardly think that is reason enough to suggest he's parted company with Sanctuary but than again stranger things have happened inthe past, LOL.

Maybe Sanctuary simply feels True To You should make all of the current updates about his Tour since Moz never really used the Official Moz Site Sanctuary set up for him when You Are The Quarry came out? There are definitely many questions and not many answers at the moment, only time will tell.

Whatever the case, I'd rather wait to hear it from Morrissey himself and so long as the man is Touring and having a good time, that's good enough for me,

Also, Morrissey's contract with Sanctuary is based in the UK, not the US's part of Sanctuary, right?

The Billboard article says Morrissey is/was with the American branch of Sanctuary. Also, I could be misinterpreting the article but did anyone else understand it to mean that Sanctuary UK would be limiting itself to catalogue sales -- which means no new product; they'd only be managing their existing product?

On Sanctuary's site there is a folder with signed artists currently on tour, Morrissey is not one of them. But according to their site his latest tour was the YATQ one while they did promote the ROTT tour. It could be the fact that they're updating their site. Probably no news will be published there before the update:( .

Back
Top Bottom