Is Morrissey your favourite lyricist?

A simple question, most people I suppose are on here because the effect Morrissey’s pretty poetic words had on them but is he your favourite lyricist? If so, what is it that makes him so and seperates him from fellow ink splashers? If not, who in the world of music do you regard as greater with words than monsieur Morrissey?

I thought there may have been a similar thread before regarding this matter but if there was I couldn't find it. If someone does happen to stumble across one, then I offer my sincerest apology to Kewpie in advance.

Sorry, no. Dylan wins it hands down for me.........followed in no particular order by Morrissey, Ray Davies, Paul Simon, Billy Bragg, Elvis Costello and Leonard Cohen.

Morrissey is my favorite lyricist. Turn of phrase, simplicity of language, wit, conciseness, and most of all writing songs that are unusal but still recognizably pop-- serious but lightweight, sugary but deeply felt.

Other lyricists I admire are Grant McLennan and Robert Forster, Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, and Lou Reed. I suppose it's tough to answer the question because for me the lyrics are not a whole lot more important than the drums or the guitars. The two aren't separable in my opinion*. I love songs with daft lyrics but great tunes (New Order), and also I love songs with great lyrics but mediocre tunes (Bragg). A great lyricist is partly great because of the music, which is why Morrissey & Marr made each other better, and why The Smiths are my favorite band.

Last edited:
Moz on a good day is my favourite lyricist.
But he seems to have gone off the boil recently. There are too many recent examples of lyrics which are actually quite bad e.g. cliche ridden, embarassing, humourless or just plain dull (Smelly uniforms, kegs between legs, entered with a key, do you hate me jesus etc). He still knocks out some fine poetic lyrics but it's more the exception than the rule these days...

I think the guy from Half Man Half Biscuit is a genius on a par with Morrissey.

Also
Ian Curtis
Joe Strummer
Ray Davies

Yes, followed by Stipe, Costello, Cohen, Bragg, and Jim Morrisson.

Yes, he is by far the best and my most favorite. To me, his lyrics are different than any other thing I have and had ever heard in my life. They weren't words written for gushy love songs that I have detested hearing since age 10. They actually say someting that I relate to, and that are very meaningful. He's very witty and has an excellent sense of humour, and I love this about his lyrics, and it's obviously not your normal sense of humour persay, that I don't live around,(and wished I did very much so) which I love.
Everything written is a true feeling and written and sung with such passion, not just something made up. And because they are and I can really tell that they are, that's what has drawn me to him more than any other artist/lyricist/person, ever! :)

Last edited:
Yes, he is by far the best and my most favorite. To me, his lyrics are different than any other thing I have and had ever heard in my life. They weren't words written for gushy love songs that I have detested hearing since age 10. They actually say someting that I relate to, and that are very meaningful. He's very witty and has an excellent sense of humour, and I love this about his lyrics, and it's obviously not your normal sense of humour persay, that I don't live around,(and wished I did very much so) which I love.
Everything written is a true feeling and written and sung with such passion, not just something made up. And because they are and I can really tell that they are, that's what has drawn me to him more than any other artist/lyricist/person, ever! :)

Well said, Westie. :)

Back
Top Bottom