Is Tim Jonze a liberal, as he claims? + shouldn't immigrants be expected 2 INTEGRATE?

Re: Is Tim Jonze a liberal, as he claims? + shouldn't immigrants be expected 2 INTEGR

I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn he is/was anti-abortion.

Yes, given his Catholic leanings, past and present, I would not be terribly surprised if he was against abortion, but when discussing the question of abortion most people are usually focused on the question of legislation rather than debating whether or not it's taking a life. It's possible to dislike abortion but oppose the idea of passing laws banning it. So you may be right that he is anti-abortion but wrong that he wants to pass laws.

You phrased this in a very leading manner, but even as phrased, I could see him supporting a law "passed by men" that prohibited women from wearing fur, or eating veal, or....

That's a fair comment and I can't say for sure you're wrong. But we don't know what his views are on the question of laws. I don't recall him saying "Laws should be passed!" You have to look at all the secondary evidence. So far I haven't seen any signs that he would unilaterally impose his beliefs on a nation of people and on the other hand, despite his very clear views on fur and meat, don't you think he has shown a tendency to value freedom and independence? Don't you think, in general, that he is a champion of self-determination and personal liberty?

I think there's a difference in his broad declarations and his private opinion. We shouldn't confuse Morrissey's use of shock hyperbole with crudeness of opinion. He understands and uses political theater to good effect. For example, on the meat issue he can openly declare that "Meat Is Murder" but once, several years ago, when asked how he felt about Smiths fans eating meat, he said something like, "I've stated the truth. They're adults. They know what meat is. They can do what they want".

Don't you always get the sense, in reading interviews, that what he says in conversation is much more sophisticated, calm, and well-reasoned than what he megaphones in public? I do.

I think you can see this dynamic in the latest NME article, actually. He can't resist the easy quip ("No English accents in Knightsbridge!") but if you place it in context his views are more nuanced. Had Jonze kept the conversation going, not antagonistically but cordially, Morrissey would have defused every questionable comment he made.

Last edited:
Re: Is Tim Jonze a liberal, as he claims? + shouldn't immigrants be expected 2 INTEGR

I dont know if you are interested in any science fiction but there has been some amazingly imaginative stuff written about our possible future.

No one has done that better than J. G. Ballard. I recommend "The Drowned World" for the distant future and "Millennium People", "Super Cannes" or "Running Wild" for the present.

Who'd have thunk the abortion issue would tip the debate toward a flamewar? Who brought that up, I wonder?

And abortion + :eek::eek:, I mean-- that's just asking for a Cali-sized blaze.

hehe... well the :eek::eek: was directed more at you than it was at Moz. I just think it sounds shocking that you would derive that he was calling for further condemnation on the part of the pope toward women who have abortions that's all.

It just surprised me that you view him that way or interpret what he says in that way.

Actually, I am the first to admit that I am not that well read or versed in the realm of politics. I'm not an expert on political history or strategy because the subject never really fascinated me. I do have views and opinions about the political mind and drive and I have feelings and views in my heart that eventually caste a certain light or give hue to my views in the political world... but I am really not that involved or interested in it - so I am not so good at arguing points in that world... and I am content in that reality.

I just don't hear what he said that way... maybe I am wrong, I really don't know him and he is a bit of an enigma. But since I doubt he is ever going to be making the laws or knocking me up (I wish) it really doesn't matter and I am mostly interested in his creativity and music. I am always interested in what he has to say, but its not what I judge him on really.

As for abortion, I don't think anybody is pro-abortion but I am pro choice. I think its sad when people take the procedure for granted and use it as a form of birth control and it must cause a bit of distress and wondering - what may have been and all that... not something to take lightly, but i am pro-choice. I feel it is basically another form of punishment on the part of the right... self righteous punishment for having sex when people tell others what they should do with their lives and future and body on such an intimate level. Clearly it should be done as quickly as possible and all that, but I don't see a fetus in early stages as a human being. My view... and I am grateful and happy that women are allowed to have abortions, although I have never had one - I know people who have and I feel it was the best choice for all involved at the time - as controversial and as much of a question as this is - even the fetus... given the circumstances. I think that's all I am gonna say about that.

Last edited:

It just surprised me that you view him that way or interpret what he says in that way.

You're mixing me up with Sunbags.

Actually, I am the first to admit that I am not that well read or versed in the realm of politics. I'm not an expert on political history or strategy because the subject never really fascinated me. I do have views and opinions about the political mind and drive and I have feelings and views in my heart that eventually caste a certain light or give hue to my views in the political world... but I am really not that involved or interested in it - so I am not so good at arguing points in that world... and I content in that reality.

I suspect you and Morrissey think alike, which is why it is fruitless to try and pin Morrissey down to any consistent political agenda as if he were running for public office.

You're mixing me up with Sunbags.

:o sorry Worm... thank goodness I was not in some kind of off the hook fighting mood which is usually the result of too much isolation and thinking anyways... thanks for the correction.

I suspect you and Morrissey think alike, which is why it is fruitless to try and pin Morrissey down to any consistent political agenda as if he were running for public office.

I wish Morrissey and I thought alike in the realm of creativity... I would be a genius! And I so agree with you about how people pull apart his political views when actually what we love him for his art and creativity - and to me art and creativity indicates a person who is pretty much free - at least in some way, in some part - from the bondage of political mind. He is not running for office, leave him alone he was only singing is my view when folks jump on him and pick apart his politics. Thank goodness - in fact - that he is not a politician... these little political trips and falls and whatnot just make me like him more... because it shows he does not think like a politician... and I really adore that. :o

I wish Morrissey and I thought alike in the realm of creativity... I would be a genius! And I so agree with you about how people pull apart his political views when actually what we love him for his art and creativity - and to me art and creativity indicates a person who is pretty much free - at least in some way, in some part - from the bondage of political mind. He is not running for office, leave him alone he was only singing is my view when folks jump on him and pick apart his politics. Thank goodness - in fact - that he is not a politician... these little political trips and falls and whatnot just make me like him more... because it shows he does not think like a politician... and I really adore that. :o

No problem, but remember, one should always deploy :eek:s with care.

If you thought like Morrissey you'd be a genius, but then again you'd have drummers chasing you for money, morons like Tim Jonze smearing you in the press, and idle and longwinded people like me scrutinizing your every move on the web. Surely you don't want that.

Anyway, as an artist Morrissey gets to shield himself behind Whitman's claim: "Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes". Doesn't mean he gets a free pass to say whatever he wants, but as this stupid NME tussle proves, narrow interpretations of his remarks will result in the observer looking decidedly foolish if he or she doesn't sufficiently account for his right to inconsistency and, as the NME put it, "gray areas".

No problem, but remember, one should always deploy :eek:s with care.

Or maybe just never use them.

I generally agree with what you said in response to me earlier, by the way.

hehe... well the :eek::eek: was directed more at you than it was at Moz. I just think it sounds shocking that you would derive that he was calling for further condemnation on the part of the pope toward women who have abortions that's all.

Actually, I am the first to admit that I am not that well read or versed in the realm of politics. I'm not an expert on political history or strategy because the subject never really fascinated me. I do have views and opinions about the political mind and drive and I have feelings and views in my heart that eventually caste a certain light or give hue to my views in the political world... but I am really not that involved or interested in it - so I am not so good at arguing points in that world... and I am content in that reality.

I just don't hear what he said that way... maybe I am wrong, I really don't know him and he is a bit of an enigma. But since I doubt he is ever going to be making the laws or knocking me up (I wish) it really doesn't matter and I am mostly interested in his creativity and music. I am always interested in what he has to say, but its not what I judge him on really.

As for abortion, I don't think anybody is pro-abortion but I am pro choice. I think its sad when people take the procedure for granted and use it as a form of birth control and it must cause a bit of distress and wondering - what may have been and all that... not something to take lightly, but i am pro-choice. I feel it is basically another form of punishment on the part of the right... self righteous punishment for having sex when people tell others what they should do with their lives and future and body on such an intimate level. Clearly it should be done as quickly as possible and all that, but I don't see a fetus in early stages as a human being. My view... and I am grateful and happy that women are allowed to have abortions, although I have never had one - I know people who have and I feel it was the best choice for all involved at the time - as controversial and as much of a question as this is - even the fetus... given the circumstances. I think that's all I am gonna say about that.

I suspect that the fetus would have preferred adoption, given the choice, but I don't want to start that discussion.

I really just wanted to say I thought your post was well-written, even though I don't agree with al of it.

If that is the case, then why did he march in a Pro-Life March?

And it's not just a woman's body, it's someone else's body, too... but that's a whole other debate. And not for here.

This sounds like bollocks. And it's not somebody else's body.

I've looked up the 1979 "Pro-Life march" in Rogan. It is mentioned on page 104: "On 3 February...Morrissey took to the streets for an anti-Abortion Act demonstration". The pro-life teacher who may have gotten him thinking about this, Aileen Power, is mentioned here as well.

Mind, this account-- one sentence-- comes at the end of a paragraph describing Morrissey's brief tenure as a "flesh remover". Rogan links his revulsion over cleaning doctor's bloody coats, his renewed interest in Murderer's Who's Who, and the graphic fetus displays from Powers' classroom together as a partial explanation for his participation in the march: he was revolted by blood and, Rogan intimates, it was the still-visceral memory of Powers' class that may have spurred him on.

Regardless, Morrissey was 20 years old and fresh from a heavily Catholic upbringing. I'm not convinved that if you asked him today he would say he'd outlaw abortion. Perhaps his strong belief in feminism and his position against abortion clash in his mind and he's found no way to reconcile them. I tend to think that's the case, and that if pressed he would come down on the side of the woman's right to choose. But certainly he is not cut-and-dried pro-choice, as it is commonly understood.

Anyway, he most certainly did participate in the march. Thanks to those who pointed that out.

My mother had 24 hours to consider aborting me. She came home, talked it over with my father and they decided to keep "it." She was given the choice. That's what matters. Thank GOD she decided to keep it. This is straying from the topic so I apologize.

My mother had 24 hours to consider aborting me. She came home, talked it over with my father and they decided to keep "it." She was given the choice. That's what matters. Thank GOD she decided to keep it. This is straying from the topic so I apologize.

How on earth did they ever let you find out about this? Does it make Mother's Day a bit awkward?

How on earth did they ever let you find out about this? Does it make Mother's Day a bit awkward?

I was actually supposed to be an abortion too. my mother was actually given money by her father to go abort me, but i guess she changed her mind for some reason. my dad's parents ended up adopting me.

I like you!:)

Thanks. And people who could have been aborted are very different to cells that were aborted. The cells weren't sentient, the people are, and I'm glad they are alive.

Thanks. And people who could have been aborted are very different to cells that were aborted. The cells weren't sentient, the people are, and I'm glad they are alive.

Gee, how very charitable of you.

Can I play too? Looks like a fun thread. (How's it going, Dave? Long time no talk.)

having a nice hot cup of coffee

Last edited by a moderator:

I've always wondered however, when a pregnant woman is murdered, why do they consider it a double homicide? the Lacey Peterson murder comes to mind.

Back
Top Bottom