Jim Kerr says something nice about Morrissey

You should treat yourself a new bike then Worm. Mr Nightie rides a Cotic and probably pays more for his bike than one would for a small car! He treats it like a Bently!

Just kidding though... i know what you mean. They're a country mile apart from each other... but each was original and made a contribution (albeit Moz has been more lasting) in their time.

Ha ha, well, I think I'd prefer one of the bikes used in the "I Started Something..." video. Surprised one of those hasn't turned up on eBay...

Not picking a fight here, but just for the sake of friendly conversation, and leaving Morrissey out of the discussion, what do you think Boy George contributed to his time?

George said an interview he met Morrissey in Paris in 1984 or 1985, but didn't have good memory.
Morrissey didn't make any effort to comminucate with him, however, he's still a fan of Smiths and Morrissey's music.

That's about what I remember, thanks.

Boy George and Morrissey two different people, but both are legends...with Culture Club having more Numbers 1s than The Smiths, you can also say that Culture Club were liked by the majority of the British population than The Smiths, who knows why though!

Ha ha, well, I think I'd prefer one of the bikes used in the "I Started Something..." video. Surprised one of those hasn't turned up on eBay...

Not picking a fight here, but just for the sake of friendly conversation, and leaving Morrissey out of the discussion, what do you think Boy George contributed to his time?

okay, maybe i've rose tinted culture club - but i was only in single figures when they first appeared on TOTP. Their music employed different textures and sounds (soul, reggae, pop) they were cheery and colourful at an austere time in Britain (without being flashy in an ostentatious way like the lovely Duran Duran). George brought the idea of being gay to our doorstep - folk talked about it at dinner tables even though he himself was obtuse and abstained from answering questions directly on the issue. Obviously looking back on it that's what he contributed,.... but for me at the time - he contributed to my 7 year old sense of style... i thought he was GORGEOUS (i wanted to look like him). All my girlfriends ruined our mothers makeup/hairdo kits by trying to imitate him and the other makeup wearing men of the time (and we all got leathered by respective mothers for our troubles!)
Maybe he didn't write groundbreaking tunes/lyrics, but he still has a very fond place in a lot of folks heart.:D

okay, maybe i've rose tinted culture club - but i was only in single figures when they first appeared on TOTP. Their music employed different textures and sounds (soul, reggae, pop) they were cheery and colourful at an austere time in Britain (without being flashy in an ostentatious way like the lovely Duran Duran). George brought the idea of being gay to our doorstep - folk talked about it at dinner tables even though he himself was obtuse and abstained from answering questions directly on the issue. Obviously looking back on it that's what he contributed,.... but for me at the time - he contributed to my 7 year old sense of style... i thought he was GORGEOUS (i wanted to look like him). All my girlfriends ruined our mothers makeup/hairdo kits by trying to imitate him and the other makeup wearing men of the time (and we all got leathered by respective mothers for our troubles!)
Maybe he didn't write groundbreaking tunes/lyrics, but he still has a very fond place in a lot of folks heart.:D

Okay, I can buy that! :)

(Incidentally, I'm American and I think I can shed some light on the way British pop music was perceived by Yankees in the mid-80s by re-wording one your sentences: "George brought the idea of being British to our doorstep" pretty much sums up the cultural divide. :lbf: )

I'm teasing. Sort of. :rolleyes:

Okay, I can buy that! :)

(Incidentally, I'm American and I think I can shed some light on the way British pop music was perceived by Yankees in the mid-80s by re-wording one your sentences: "George brought the idea of being British to our doorstep" pretty much sums up the cultural divide. :lbf: )

I'm teasing. Sort of. :rolleyes:

ha ha, if by that you mean, being camp, donning your mother's wardrobe, and drinking tea - yeh, i can see that!!!:lbf:

George and Marilyn were cool even if you didn't like his music.
33bicz6.jpg

2liaji9.jpg

Fom the new Record Collector magazine:

Q: Which artist would you do on MASTERMIND?

A: Bowie. No one's done anything really new since the 80s. No one sounded like Morrissey, Boy George - fantastic originality.

P.

I wonder if he knew where The Smiths first concert was?

Correct me if I'm wrong but Boy George and Morrissey are not friends. I just Googled the names to make sure and saw that both attended The Drums' gig on April 1-- separately, despite being two of two hundred spectators. No, I don't think they're pals. But if they are, I'd love to know about it.

Edit: "Boy George, again I think he really doesn't say anything either." Think that was in '84 or '85.
morrissey wasnt too fond of boy george`s friend "marilyn" in an interview

Last edited:
I wonder if he knew where The Smiths first concert was?

:lbf:

The only similarity I can see between Morrissey and Boy George is their avowed celibacy and preference to having a cup of tea to sex. As Mr O'Dowd was strung out on smack for most of the 80s then I can see why he would have preferred a cup of char. Allegedly Georgie's favourite Morrissey album is Maladjusted.

As for Jim Kerr.....

:lbf:

The only similarity I can see between Morrissey and Boy George is their avowed celibacy and preference to having a cup of tea to sex. As Mr O'Dowd was strung out on smack for most of the 80s then I can see why he would have preferred a cup of char. Allegedly Georgie's favourite Morrissey album is Maladjusted.

As for Jim Kerr.....

Not really correct,
They have quit a lot in common, they are both working class, both of irish decent, both bended gender, both in bands in the 80's, both massive Bowie fans.
In terms of music and life styles they are miles apart though,

I like Goerge but he is an awful song writer, although he does have a good voice and a couple of his songs were OK.

I am shocked and appalled at that statement. I loved Boy George when i were a lad.:blushing:

:confused: actually, me too. But when I was 9! And for about 2 months. And that just because I had a thing for gay men. ("had" :lbf:) I would never list them together, for no reason other than a timeline.

Back
Top Bottom