Johnny Marr asked about Morrissey's new album in NME (June 14, 2014)

From Johnny Marr's official site:

JOHNNY MARR FEATURED IN THIS MONTHS NME
Read Johnny’s feature in this months NME magazine.

Guitar hero and NME god like genius Johnny fills us in on the fourthcoming follow-up to last years solo album ‘The Messenger”

Excerpt:

What do you think of Morrissey's new album, if you've heard any of it?
"(Pause) Did you hear that? That question was the sound of the bar lowering."

NME-Feature-11_06_14.jpg

Are you all not clever enough to understand what Johnny actually said? It was a clear and concise statement that the quality of questioning he was being exposed to had taken a sudden and dramatic dip, stated in a way that was open to interpretation on more than one level. Get beyond it.

Are you all not clever enough to understand what Johnny actually said? It was a clear and concise statement that the quality of questioning he was being exposed to had taken a sudden and dramatic dip, stated in a way that was open to interpretation on more than one level. Get beyond it.

There was nothing wrong with the question other than he didn't like it.

Marr's last 'The Messenger' album is fantastic, his playing has lost nothing and some of the current music he is writing is matching anything else he's ever done. Like Morrissey, he doesn't feel the need or see the point in reforming or dwelling on the past. I don't know what would have become of Morrissey had Johnny not knocked his door in Kings Rd, but I have no doubt whatsoever that Marr had the talent, drive and connections to have emerged as an influential player at that time in one band or another. Those songs and riffs would have manifested themselves somewhere. I really don't understand why people criticize him, he's done nothing wrong. so he left a band 20 odd years ago...does anyone really still care?

Agreed 100%.
"The Messenger" is fantastic and songs like "New Town Velocity" prove he has anything but lost it. Maybe his songs will never be as great as they were having Morrissey (the same can be said for Moz) but that is exactly why The Smiths were so unique.
Morrissey without Marr would probably never have gone anywhere, musically speaking. Marr undoubtedly would have because he had the talent and was/is and incredible guitar player. Maybe he wouldn't be incredibly popular or never match the fame he got by being in The Smiths but he would surely make a living out of it.

My understanding is that he was showing how tired he is of constant Morrissey-related questions. I think he finds it disrespectful considering he's been making music away from Morrissey for 27 years now.

I don't think there's any 'bad blood' as such between them anymore.

He's talking about the question, not the album, but people here love to misunderstand everything written about Morrissey. Still, f*** Johnny Marr, because he was popping up talking about The Smiths a lot for a while. It keeps his name out there, but right now he'd rather talk about his own music.

To the people that think they listen to each other's work, maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. I don't know why they would. Not because it's shit or because they hate each other, but I just don't see why they would seek it out.

I think marr is a great guitarist , but it's clear he feels well below moz, his career has gone sideward's while moz has been a true legend , sour grapes sir .

maybe he should consider that without the smiths (which means morrissey), nobody would be asking him any f***ing questions and there's a possiblity he would never had a single album out in the public domain. he's talented for sure but how many talented people never got the breaks he did? needs to show a bit gratitude, perspective, humility.

Try some perspective yourself.

Agreed 100%.
"The Messenger" is fantastic and songs like "New Town Velocity" prove he has anything but lost it. Maybe his songs will never be as great as they were having Morrissey (the same can be said for Moz) but that is exactly why The Smiths were so unique.
Morrissey without Marr would probably never have gone anywhere, musically speaking. Marr undoubtedly would have because he had the talent and was/is and incredible guitar player. Maybe he wouldn't be incredibly popular or never match the fame he got by being in The Smiths but he would surely make a living out of it.

I think morrissey inspired marr to heights he would never have otherwise reached.

Has anyone ever heard anything by White Dice or the Paris Valentinos? Would also love to hear how Morrissey sang in the Nosebleeds.

Guernie, don't assume everyone lacks reading comprehension skills. Yes, Johnny Marr's response is a direct burn to the journalist, Rhian Daly. But it is also a burn (whether intended or not) to the internationally beloved hero Morrissey. Hero Moz has released four amazing singles from his highly acclaimed forthcoming album. Marr refuses to acknowledge this accomplishment of his once comrade. Marr is losing as a man. Sad. :(

GoneForeverNotQuite

Please ...... people read the question and think a little before just tossing up "screw Johnny " comments. The Moz / bar lowering answer he gave was him telling the reporter the interview is now over . I agree with several on here who think Johnny just gets tired of being asked the same Moz/ Smith questions over and over. Anyway, How could he have have heard the Moz album already ? Morrissey isn't going to send him an advanced copy just like I bet Johnny didn't send Moz one when he made "The Messenger".

Nice neck tat, johnny.

Is he referring to the album or the actual question?

That's how I read it. I think both men have moved past many things and I honestly believe he
was referring to the journalism "bar". He's had plenty of opportunities to shred Moz and his music,
I haven't read too many nasty things he's said, have you? Why start now?
He made it clear he wouldn't read the book, but that's a different can of worms altogether.
Anonymous, I'm in full agreement on that, was sitting here thinking it when I read your comment!

To me, it comes across as Marr schooling the journalist on what happens when the quality of the questions takes a nosedive. There's probably a way to get an answer about that (like, uh, waiting until the album is released), but the approach used was about as subtle as swatting a fly with a Buick.

I don't think Marr is running from the past, he has been putting a good amount of Smiths stuff in his set lists over the past year or so -- and if he was actively trying to avoid that part of his past, writing stuff like "New Town Velocity" would've never made the cut for the album.

I, for one, am looking forward to Moz's new album as well as Marr's new album.

To me, it comes across as Marr schooling the journalist on what happens when the quality of the questions takes a nosedive. There's probably a way to get an answer about that (like, uh, waiting until the album is released), but the approach used was about as subtle as swatting a fly with a Buick.

I don't think Marr is running from the past, he has been putting a good amount of Smiths stuff in his set lists over the past year or so -- and if he was actively trying to avoid that part of his past, writing stuff like "New Town Velocity" would've never made the cut for the album.

I, for one, am looking forward to Moz's new album as well as Marr's new album.

The new album is not a Smiths album, it is a Morrissey album. That's an important distinction.

I thought he meant that's the bar lowering in terms of the journalists questions not Morrissey's album. He must be pissed at being constantly asked these smiths moz questions. He isn't a dick.

yes that is exactly it. I've met johnny before and he was the nicest person. he is there to promote his new work and not talk about morrisseys work. a better question would have been, what do you do to yourself to fulfill all your concert dates. he could have given his healthy routine. that would have poked fun at moz and been informative all at the same time.

Do people really believe BB is Morrissey?

U Wot Mt8? LOL! We didn't post this and "BB" has no recollection of ever having met Morrissey at any stage in the last 44 years, though he does have relatives in Manchester and danced there as a little boy. Many, many times.

Also, I'm a mental case and tried to post some 'mad shit' the other night but security found out and stopped me. This is probably my last post here because I'm probably going to Broadmoor soon. It's probably for the best....Anyroads, someone asked if Morrissey was in Birmingham watching the World Cup. No, he's NOT. If he was then Janice Long would have it all over her Twitter feed and "BrummieBoy" would take lots of photos of Morrissey on The Green Mile and post them here, like what Brummies always do to/with Celebrity Visitors....

Morrissey is also NOT living in Roger Moore's old 007 house in an exclusive suburb of Birmingham. He is also deffo NOT using Cliff Richard's canal barge in Gas Street Basin as a crash pad after the clubs because hotels are too monitored.

Who starts these rumours? Not me, not "BB". Maybe it's Morrissey being naughty in his luxury California compound inbetween colonic irrigation and hot stone chakra alignments.

What's with this Thumbs Up thing? It's a way of life in Brum giving folks the Thumbs Up then flicking it to 2 fingers. Very playground. Has WPINOYB leaked yet? I'm sure I heard it blasting out of a very, very expensive Italian sports car on Broad Street last night.....probably another florid hallucination.

It's great fun this site. Fan Fiction From Fanatics. You couldn't make this stuff up.....now back to Glasto to pick "BB" up. And his friends.

tara a bit
Shazza McCormick
Mental Patient and "the keeper of secrets" aka: The Secretary.

Back
Top Bottom