Johnny Marr with The Pretenders @ Glastonbury - supergroup time

I disagree, I think Marr graciously made room for guitarist James Walbourne to shine and took his turns during the guitar breaks of Tattooed Love Boys. I think Chrissie had the idea on stage to showcase Dave Grohl solo on drums and was trying to communicate that to the guitarists. Did you watch the whole set? It was a good time, nothing to be upset over.

Yeah, it was a lot of fun, everybody on stage was enjoying themselves, i can see why some here in the bitterati might be confused.

All these anons come out to defend Johnny when anyone says anything less that complimentary about him, I bet it's Nile

I think Christie Hynde might be the only person on Earth who could potentially engineer a Morrissey/Marr summit.

They delivered the goods. Great version. Grohl on fire, Marr with aggressiv guitar interludes.

I think Christie Hynde might be the only person on Earth who could potentially engineer a Morrissey/Marr summit.
Definitely! She covered Everyday Is Like Sunday on her UK Tour last month and is now playing with Johnny on a Pretenders song that Moz so successfully covered.

Great stuff!

All these anons come out to defend Johnny when anyone says anything less that complimentary about him, I bet it's Nile
There are only two people posting on this site. All the anti-Morrissey posts are by Nile, and all the anti-Marr posts are by Sam. Everyone else is just a bot.

What would you hope to be achieved by such a summit? Just a hug and a handshake to show there's no animosity or something more?

Sounds atrocious, dodgy pub rock

Really, what pub would this be? One where the band would include a world class singer, two of the best guitarists in England and a legend on drums. You don't know your rock'n'roll, son.

What would you hope to be achieved by such a summit? Just a hug and a handshake to show there's no animosity or something more?
Speaking for myself, I think there is a lot of positive stuff they could do together short of reforming or being best buddies. Most inactive legacy bands, even people who clearly hate each other like Pink Floyd, seem to manage better than The Smiths. Where is the official Smiths website, the official T-shirt, poster, merch sales that would benefit all the band, the archival releases? We've had nothing since The Queen is Dead anniversary edition several years ago, and the bonus tracks with that showed that numerous high quality live soundboard recordings exist, and could be released in full.

The Smiths are dead, but so are the Beatles, and that doesn't stop them producing masses of content every year for their fans. The Smiths could be releasing tons of stuff if Moz and Johnny actually communicated and could find some way to work together.

All about the money!!!!!

Speaking for myself, I think there is a lot of positive stuff they could do together short of reforming or being best buddies. Most inactive legacy bands, even people who clearly hate each other like Pink Floyd, seem to manage better than The Smiths. Where is the official Smiths website, the official T-shirt, poster, merch sales that would benefit all the band, the archival releases? We've had nothing since The Queen is Dead anniversary edition several years ago, and the bonus tracks with that showed that numerous high quality live soundboard recordings exist, and could be released in full.

The Smiths are dead, but so are the Beatles, and that doesn't stop them producing masses of content every year for their fans. The Smiths could be releasing tons of stuff if Moz and Johnny actually communicated and could find some way to work together.
Don't forget the album box set that Marr put together in 2011 and the 7" singles box set. Having mentioned those because I bought them, but I still get what you're saying. I guess Morrissey and Marr are continuing to give The Smiths some lifeblood by performing Smiths songs on both their tours for people to to hear and enjoy. It might not be merch but it's possibly better than that. Not that I ever wish for it to happen but I won't deny I'd enjoy seeing them get along.

Last edited:

Macca filming you from the side of the stage must be both surreal and terrifying. Amazing Johnny kept his cool in the circumstances. I'd have shat meself.

Back
Top Bottom