Julie Hamill YT: "Andrew Paresi tracks drums on Stephen Street Suedehead" (April 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230416-184702.png

Brief clip to help advertise related item below.
FWD.

Related item:

It's one of those videos, that made you sigh: "Dear God, why don't I look and dress like Morrissey, but more like Andre Paresi?" No one looked like that in 1989 and sang the most irresistible song among many irresistible ones he penned. Nerdy detail: Graig Gannon looks almost as good. Maybe there's an unavailable The Smiths II track from the 1989 phase. You should ask Street about it next weekend.
To me The Last Of The Famous International Playboys is the most Smiths like of all his solo material. Not so much because of the music but more to do with what he's singing about. It just has everything. And yes you're right Gannon never looked as good as he does in that video.

To me The Last Of The Famous International Playboys is the most Smiths like of all his solo material. Not so much because of the music but more to do with what he's singing about. It just has everything. And yes you're right Gannon never looked as good as he does in that video.
For me, the song itself is already the essence of his then still young solo career. Aware of it's irresistible appeal, the video transforms every second of his DNA. Fronting a remarkably dressed studio gang, wearing loose 30s trousers and a kind of black women's blouson with faux fur on the collar. That was unbelievable in 1989! I mean, who walked around like that? And everyone who knew The Smiths from the 80s thought: yeah, sure, that's The Smiths, his band. From today's perspective and a few court cases later, it's almost surreal.

Imagine Morrissey, climbing the stage during Andrew's, Stephen's and Jonny's rendition of Suedehead. Just because he can (like buying a loaf of bred around the corner).

He's more likely to send Sam up with a 'cease & desist' letter. ;)
The more he ignores the event the bigger it gets.
Let's hope Stephen and Jonny have certain tapes (from 87 and 97) in their pockets as a big surprise for the audience. Isn't that a common ritual during fanclub meetings? Let's hope for the best.

Last edited:
I also play drums reasonably well and recognise myself in the strained expression on Andrew's face when holding a faster 4/4 tackle. Morrissey would therefore never have hired me for the stage. :-(
Andrew Paresi is by far my favourite studio drummer that ever graced a Morrissey record. That said, maybe it's just the angle, but he does look like he's struggling a bit and having to put a lot of effort into what is a very simple beat. I guess time catches up to us all.

I remember AP saying of the moment when Morrissey was effervescing over the Rockabilly shift and it crashingly dawned on him he wasn't going to fit in.
I think he's great.

Last edited:
Andrew certainly looks much stiffer and less relaxed than I’d expect. Perhaps it’s age? I’m a drummer, too. Reasonably seasoned. Andrew looks like he’s in pain. All arms. No fingers or wrists (see Brendan). I feel like I’m between both of them in my efforts and style.

Andrew Paresi is by far my favourite studio drummer that ever graced a Morrissey record. That said, maybe it's just the angle, but he does look like he's struggling a bit and having to put a lot of effort into what is a very simple beat. I guess time catches up to us all.
His style on VH and KU is so damn different from the muscle-bound drumming of the late Solo years. The 90s: I love Cobrin for what he represents but we remember that Boorer just swapped him for Taylor for V&I. Why? Because the plot is less "Sturm und Drang" than YA or Soutpaw and requires greater accentuation? Paresi definitely had to offer that as well.

But it is really strange, that he seems so strained here and, as @f***fase e rightly says, plays "All arms, no fingers". It seems like it's more of an occasional hobby (like mine) and he has to concentrate hard.

Last edited:
I’m actually more excited about this event than the next batch of Moz dates. Especially now Alain won’t be there.

His style on VH and KU is so damn different from the muscle-bound drumming of the late Solo years. The 90s: I love Cobrin for what he represents but we remember that Boorer just swapped him for Taylor for V&I. Why? Because the plot is less "Sturm und Drang" than YA or Soutpaw and requires greater accentuation? Paresi definitely had to offer that as well.

But it is really strange, that he seems so strained here and, as @f***fase e rightly says, plays "All arms, no fingers". It seems like it's more of an occasional hobby (like mine) and he has to concentrate hard.
Did you notice on that vid I posted (comparison of AP & BB) that AP appears to be playing the drum sticks the wrong way round (i.e. striking the drums with the thick end)? I'm not sure if that's a known drumming technique, but I've never noticed anyone do that before.

Did you notice on that vid I posted (comparison of AP & BB) that AP appears to be playing the drum sticks the wrong way round (i.e. striking the drums with the thick end)? I'm not sure if that's a known drumming technique, but I've never noticed anyone do that before.
Yes, I think that was established at some point before. I'm really just a hobby drummer and feel more like Spencer, who unfortunately was accused by producers of not playing drums well enough (for Morrissey). Keep time, light accents on the toms and just as simple, predictable rolls. Actually just like Paresi now in the video. Strange. To your question: I can imagine that you can also turn the sticks around for more hardness on the snare drum. But we have real professionals here in the forum to answer that. Since Paresi is also a comedian, I wouldn't put it past him to come up with a joke.

Andrew certainly looks much stiffer and less relaxed than I’d expect...
I dunno - I was stunned on first hearing the drums on Viva Hate. The stop-startness of it all I'm not surprised if this is his style. Looking at his vids on YT you can see these are not simple beats he's created. His description on the Dissapointed routine is a gem - I'm not sure subsequent drummers play it the same way. I dread trying to watch more closely as I may be tempted to get a kit and put the neighbours through hell (again).
Yes he's a comedian too so he may be mixing things up.
I wouldn't condemn his drum technique in the slightest. It may be as exhausting to watch as it is for him to play - but that's what it's about isn't it?

It's great how all of Moz's drummers bring their own thing. The biggest shame is AP didn't get stage time too. Sandie Shaw in her biography gave some insight to goings on around the time of VH. It sounded like Andrew was in seventh heaven for a while.

Last edited:
Interesting little factoid... before he was told Joe C. was to produce the WMTWD sessions, Alain was pushing for Street to be behind the boards in France when it came time to record. He's got the highest respect for him and his work and has never worked with him. So, it was both for selfish reasons as well as what he felt would be a smart move for M, that he mentioned it. Working with Joe turned out to be a great experience, though. When it comes time to record the AW solo full length, I'm sure Stephen Street's name will be mentioned again.

Interesting little factoid... before he was told Joe C. was to produce the WMTWD sessions, Alain was pushing for Street to be behind the boards in France when it came time to record.
Interesting - I'd not heard that. I suspect Street got himself put back in Moz's blacklist after publicly criticizing his editing tracks on the last 'Viva Hate' re-issue though, so I guess this was never a realistic option.

Interesting little factoid... before he was told Joe C. was to produce the WMTWD sessions, Alain was pushing for Street to be behind the boards in France when it came time to record. He's got the highest respect for him and his work and has never worked with him. So, it was both for selfish reasons as well as what he felt would be a smart move for M, that he mentioned it. Working with Joe turned out to be a great experience, though. When it comes time to record the AW solo full length, I'm sure Stephen Street's name will be mentioned again.
This is like my dream come true, Alain and Stephen Street together on a Moz record. Thank you for sharing. At least someone tried.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom