Kirsty Maccall

Re: Yes. And.....?

Was just wondering if anyone had heard her version of "You just havent Earned it yet baby"?, any good?

What does Moz think of her?

Also what does Moz think of Billy Bragg?

> Was just wondering if anyone had heard her version of "You just
> havent Earned it yet baby"?, any good?

> What does Moz think of her?

> Also what does Moz think of Billy Bragg?

I think Moz was very fond of her and deeply upset when she died in such tragic circumstances.

I think it was Morrissey that recommended Mexico for a holiday destination for her and her children.

I like her version of YJHEIYB but I prefer The Smiths version.

She has some fans on here and I am sure they can expand on this:)

> I think Moz was very fond of her and deeply upset when she died in such
> tragic circumstances.

> I think it was Morrissey that recommended Mexico for a holiday destination
> for her and her children.

> I like her version of YJHEIYB but I prefer The Smiths version.

> She has some fans on here and I am sure they can expand on this:)

Ah the wonderful and amazing Kirsty MacColl, basically my favourite female singer/songwriter by a long, long way. She was good friends with Morrissey, as well as Johnny Marr and she sang backing vocals on a number of Smiths and Morrissey songs such as Ask, Bigmouth Strikes Again (unofficially), Interesting Drug and I'd Love To. When Kirsty covered Perfect Day with Evan Dando she originally wanted to do the song with Moz, but it never quite materialised. Also you will find Johnny Marr's best work post Smiths with Kirsty and Billy Bragg.

Her cover of YJHEIYB is equally as good as the Smiths original, and some would argue it is better, basically I would urge anyone to start traking down her entire back catalogue straight away if you haven't done so already, as she really never got the credit that people such as Joni Mitchell, Patti Smith, and Janis Joplin did, yet she leaves all of these trailing in complete awe.

I have bought her best of cd(i thinks thats what it is) and also Billy Braggs.

I think i might have found two new addictions.

Billy Bragg is brilliant. Check out "Talking with the taxman about poetry". I love that album. Great work by Marr as well. I lilke Braggs story on when he met Morrissey. Moz said Braggs life was quite vaudevillian. Bragg said he went home, looked it up in the dictionairy and agreed. I think they like each other but he probably likes Marr more.

> Billy Bragg is brilliant. Check out "Talking with the taxman about
> poetry". I love that album. Great work by Marr as well. I lilke
> Braggs story on when he met Morrissey. Moz said Braggs life was quite
> vaudevillian. Bragg said he went home, looked it up in the dictionairy and
> agreed. I think they like each other but he probably likes Marr more.

Heh Heh ! Nice one James.Brilliant Moz quote.Just bought the new BB compilation. Will listen to it over the weekend.

I loved the version of "Greetings to The New Brunette" that I heard on "Preaching To The Converted". I think it was renamed "Shirley".

Beautiful guitar work by Marr.

> Heh Heh ! Nice one James.Brilliant Moz quote.Just bought the new BB
> compilation. Will listen to it over the weekend.

> I loved the version of "Greetings to The New Brunette" that I
> heard on "Preaching To The Converted". I think it was renamed
> "Shirley".

> Beautiful guitar work by Marr.

Or rather "Reaching To The Converted", yes it was renamed Shirley when it was reworked and released as a single, I like both versions equally.

> Was just wondering if anyone had heard her version of "You just
> havent Earned it yet baby"?, any good?

> What does Moz think of her?

> Also what does Moz think of Billy Bragg?

Think, as per later posts there's a mutual admiration between Moz and the Bragg-ster. Bragg has of course covered a few Smiths tracks in his time ('Never had No-one Ever', and his classic (perhaps better than the original version *courts controversy*) version of 'Jeane')

As for Kirsty's version of YJHEIYB, I think it's OK, but it's probably one of the weaker tracks on 'Kite'.

I've got a white label test presing of YJEIYB signed by Kirsty & I've got the 3" cd also, I love most of Kirstys work, re the Bragg single 'Greetings to the new brunette', I didn't know it was renamed 'Shirley', my 7" copy still as the original title.
Grim

> I've got a white label test presing of YJEIYB signed by Kirsty & I've
> got the 3" cd also, I love most of Kirstys work, re the Bragg single
> 'Greetings to the new brunette', I didn't know it was renamed 'Shirley',
> my 7" copy still as the original title.
> Grim

I think they only renamed it "Shirley" for the version included on "Reaching To The Converted".

> I think they only renamed it "Shirley" for the version included
> on "Reaching To The Converted".

Yea thats right, I was under the impression it was released as a single, but it was previously unreleased.

Moz said she had nice tits

Yes, because upon her passing, Morrissey praised both her voice and her buxom, I mean breasts.

LOL! This is sick, but this is what he said!

Full marks this time, Johnny.

It was re-recorded for the 1999 compilation and re-named. I was working at Virgin Megastores at the time it's release and the new version was played heavily to promote the album and I thought the "DJ" had got the title wrong! I was tutting and shaking my head in despair, until I saw on the album that it had been re-named!

> I think they only renamed it "Shirley" for the version included
> on "Reaching To The Converted".

Re: Moz said she had nice tits

> Yes, because upon her passing, Morrissey praised both her voice and her
> buxom, I mean breasts.

> LOL! This is sick, but this is what he said!

Are you sure? He talked about her "crackin' bust" on the sleeve notes of her compilation album and this may have been quoted by others on her death, but I hardly think Moz would have brought up the subject at this time.

He was right though.

Retraction!!

Yeah, I recant that, because I read it in either the NME, Uncut, or Q.

Sorry.

> Full marks this time, Johnny.

> It was re-recorded for the 1999 compilation and re-named. I was working at
> Virgin Megastores at the time it's release and the new version was played
> heavily to promote the album and I thought the "DJ" had got the
> title wrong! I was tutting and shaking my head in despair, until I saw on
> the album that it had been re-named!

Although I love both versions I think the guitar work by Marr on "Shirley" edges out "Greetings".

Well, as I always say, you can't beat a good strum from Johnny.
Ahem.

> Although I love both versions I think the guitar work by Marr on
> "Shirley" edges out "Greetings".

Back
Top Bottom