Leak 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' here

Have listened to it a few times. It's so much better than I expected. I think it's probably his 3rd or 4th best album. So glad he's ditched the pub rock cliche stuff. Love it that he's going more avant garde.

I had intended to take a break from posting for awhile but I'm just as much a loser as anyone else here. And frankly my feelings for this album are too strong to not say SOMETHING. Especially considering everyone else is putting in his/her two cents. So here are mine.

I was not in love with the singles, except for Bullfighter. I liked the title track when I first heard it but it quickly wore kind of thin; not that I thought it was a bad song, it just didn't love me long time. However I thought the production and vocal delivery were amazing.

I thought Istanbul had a good melody but I thought the lyrical content was a little contrived and melodramatic. I have to say that as time has passed I have gotten very into the song. I think the melody is one of his best in a long time. And what a chorus. So romantic.

Earth is The Loneliest Planet...now, that one I hated right off the bat and still do but I won't dwell on that. But yeah, way too silly musically; so ornate and I hate the overkill of the Spanish guitars. And the lyrics don't do much for me. The whole song just feels like he is freeforming. And not in a good way.

BUT...

As for the album, I downloaded it a few days ago; the deluxe version, and to be honest I HATED IT at first. Way too slow, way too weird (and not creative weird, more like weird for weird's sake.) I'm referring mainly to how a lot of the songs have very ambient, disconnected beginning and endings that are seemingly unrelated to the actual songs they are attached to. It's been brought up here several times by other people.

But those initial impressions soon gave way to gradual different perspectives. The first song to really grab me was Staircase. I think it is far and away one his classics. How he sings the verse; I mean, crapballs..I get all Crystal Geezery...but his vocal on that song is KILLER. Such a great melody and the lyrics are just...f***. So good. SUCH a good song. And the part at the end where he starts naming all the dwarves from The Hobbit gives me a huge boner.

Then Art-Hounds. I am not sold on the new intro and I don't really like the superfluous real world/fake world line change but other than that...AMAZING. Everything the live one-off hinted at and then some.

Neal Cassady Drops Dead...I am a pretty big Beat Gen. retard so I probably was interested in it more for my Kerouac jones than anything else. When I first heard it it weirded me out. Not what I'd expected. Now it has quite ingratiated itself; and I love his Morrissey-goes-beatnik freeform thing.

I'm Not a Man...hated it at first, thought it was a total lead balloon. I now like it quite a bit, but that long long intro "sound" is for the birds.

Kiss Me A Lot...meh. Cheesy Moz is better than regular pop cheese, but it's still cheese. Not a bad song, but nothing to right home about.I have a feeling it will be one of those annoying songs that gets stuck in my head whether I want it to or not, though. f***er.

Drag The River...a f***ing heart melter. I love it. The "join me, join me" part gives me shivers. I can't drive while it's on; I start to cry and the kids freak out. So goddamn good.

Kick the Bride....at first I couldn't hear a melody to save my life. Now it's really making a case for itself. I don't know if anyone else has brought this up but it is almost the counterpart to All The Lazy Dykes. Same section of the record, same feel, same thematic sentiment just gender-switched.

Scandinavia...We're not gonna talk about Judy. We're not gonna talk about Judy at all. We're gonna leave her out of this.

Julie in The Weeds...why Morrissey should have been a 70s pop singer. So good, yet so forgettable. But then you hear it again thirty years later and you're like, "f***. This is my adolescence in four minutes."

Smiler with Knife...I don't love this, but it's very pretty and crisp. Probably my least favorite song melodically and I haven't totally figured out the point of it yet.

One of Our Own / Forgive Someone...file under (for now) filler. But GOOD filler. Mid tempo, lugubrious middle shelfers. He's done better; he's done worse.

Mountjoy...this song comes from and exists in another dimension. There is nothing like it. Trying to describe it would be to insult it. Either you feel it, or you are in a hospice bed somewhere in Minnesota.

Oboe Concerto...There's I Won't Share You, there's There's a Place In Hell For Me And My Friends, and there's this song. One of the greatest Morrissey album closers of all time.

Summing up: It's the best thing he's done in a long, LONG time. Maybe since pre-comeback No. 1.

I am super amazed. The band, hate them though I do, sound SO good on this. They've really impressed me.

Good job, guys. Especially you, Morrissey, you old bastard.

Good f***ing job.

daf069c6ddf84d85f7f2236198fd78f5.jpg

The arrangements sound a little forced?

As a songwriter/multi-instrumentalist producer myself, unlike what seems to be the general consensus around here I actually prefer the bigger distorted guitar arrangements. To me a classic artist like Morrissey doesn't need arrangements that can sound too busy. Morrissey has always been one of those artists who wouldn't be caught dead using something like auto tune for example. So, I think his recordings shine best when things are more straight ahead,stripped, and closer to how the group sounds live. Other than your core live instrumentation of: drums.,bass, a couple of guitars, and various keyboards the only overdubs someone like Moz really needs would be a bit of orchestration, (usually mostly strings and maybe a bit of brass and wood wind flourishes), along with some vocal harmonies. Some ooh's and ah's, and some vocals maybe being double tracked in spots. But that's about it. That to me makes a great Morrissey album. It almost seems like because the last few albums had that more raw overdriven big guitar sound, maybe between camp Moz and Joe C. the producer they might have made a conscious effort to move away from the bigger guitar sound and agreed to take things down a few notches? And well, to me it sounds a little forced.

With the Ringleader's album, I wasn't at all a big fan of Visonti's vocal's. Adding all that slap back style echo to all of Moz's vocals just made them sound lifeless to me. However, musically I really like Ringleader's because it more or less sounds like the group live. Based on the In Studio's performances from last year it appears that Tony likes to indeed go for that live in your face sound by getting everyone in a room to lay down the basic tracks. I think there is overall more emotion and power/energy to the arrangements whenever you record a group live. The vocals can be also sung live but usually the live vocals would be considered a scratch track to help guide the musicians through the song, and then the vocals would get re-recorded separately later on.

I remember pre Quarry, a lot of songs that eventually turned up on that album were played live quite a bit. There were a couple of live bootlegs around at the time, and I remember thinking that the song's I like you and Mexico were among the best songs he had ever done. When Quarry came out I was slightly let down with the song I like you, because the energy I heard in the live version was gone. It had been stripped away in favor of too much synth, and the drums had either been over processed with effects or they were using some kind of electronic loop? The same has happened again on this album with the songs Art Hounds, and Earth is the Loneliest. Those song rocked live! Especially Art hounds. Now, not so much. I actually like the intro to Art hounds. Some of you are complaining about it,but I'm much more let down with the energy being peeled away from it. I guess, I just find that the live heavy distorted Alternative rock/rooted in 70's glam sounds awesome. Especially with Moz's soft crooning vocal style. It makes for a perfect juxtaposition, having the heavy guitars with the sweet crooning vocals on top, it works really well. Case in point we wouldn't be on this site wasting our time if it hadn't worked all of these years on. However as an artist I can understand that you do want to try and stretch out and evolve a bit, you don't want to be stuck doing the same thing over and over. For the most part every release in this century has had a very similar sound. So I guess it makes sense to try something a little different with the overall sound/arrangement and feel of this album. I'm sure it will grow on me.

Oddly though, for me personally on pretty much every Moz album there has always been at least one or two if not more of those songs that grab you across the room with one of those melodies that gives you the chills. The ones that just get you straight away,you know? And well, this has been the first album of his where that didn't really happen to me straight away; and I say oddly because it seems like most reviews of the album have been not stellar but, leaning more towards the positive side alluding that this has been his best release in recent years?

Food for thought, what if scenario:

A couple of years ago on the 20th anniversary of Nirvana's Nevermind album, Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters called on Nevermind's producer Buth Vig to produce his new Foo Fighter record. That record went on to be hailed as probably the best album that the Foo's have made to date. I think timing wise if Moz wanted to make this mellower album; with the Vauxhall anniversary anmd re-release it would have been perfectly timed if he had asked Steve Lillywhite to produce this album instead? From a promotional standpoint with the way Vauxhall has been hailed and along with its reissue, it would have built this album up much,much more. There would have been an even biggest buzz about it. Although I doubt it could have ever happened. I've heard its improved in recent years but from what I understand Moz and Steve's relationship has never been that great at least since they last worked together?

I'm thinking now, as I'm on about listen 4 it is growing.

BTW I didn't download, I have an advanced promo copy.
We need to support artists like Moz, the record industry sucks compared to what it once was. Today unless, you are hand picked by the corporate machine it is near impossible to gain respect and recognition for your work, know matter how good or how genuine of artist you are. If you're not backed by the machine, forget it. That corporate machine has many ties and connections that reaches very far and wide. That's why you see people like Kanye West getting 5 star reviews in publications like Rolling stone magazine and the NME when, a true artist like Moz can't even get a record deal! WTF is that all about huh? So please support the artists don't just download. And you jokers who say that you are still going to buy it or you already have it pre ordered are full of SHITE! I'm willing to bet, out of everyone who has downloaded the leak, possibly 2% of you will also purchase it or have already pre ordered it!

I think that’s a pretty unfair generalization, I must say. Most people on here have preordered deluxe copies, myself included. Hell, there’s a multiple page thread on here about a 10” single from the album that doesn’t contain any unreleased material. It’s safe to say Moz fans will buy his stuff.

I think that’s a pretty unfair generalization, I must say. Most people on here have preordered deluxe copies, myself included. Hell, there’s a multiple page thread on here about a 10” single from the album that doesn’t contain any unreleased material. It’s safe to say Moz fans will buy his stuff.
Well said.
A huge "i know everything about Morrissey/his life/what he has for breakfast" review that ends with him saying 2% of us have pre-ordered/won't buy it. Well i've had a pre-listen but like every Morrissey album i own this will be added to my CD collection.

Ok i've sent in a few posts since last night 3 out of 5 have been listed. So tell me i won't buy it on release. Way too many chiefs on here & most of the bullshit comes from them. These are obsessed Morrissey fans who mostly shoot him when he puts his foot in it, but melt when he releases an album of this calibre...

Oh yeah, respect. Please, will someone tell Moz about what that word means, next time he cancels gigs, and his fans lose non-refundable airfare, service charges on concert tickets, etc. etc.
Absolutely mandatory that everyone look into overspending on multiple versions of the same thing? The message to Moz with that way of thinking is this: Treat your fans like garbage, and we'll still support you.
Do the right thing: find somewhere online to download it...:thumb:

Morrissey is a singer. He sings songs and we listen to them. It's not his job to treat you in any way shape or form. Sure we fall under the illusion he is singing to us personally but that's where the illusion ends. I think you must love being upset. Get over it.

He's not your f***ing travel agent for god's sake.

BTW I didn't download, I have an advanced promo copy.
We need to support artists like Moz, the record industry sucks compared to what it once was. Today unless, you are hand picked by the corporate machine it is near impossible to gain respect and recognition for your work, know matter how good or how genuine of artist you are. If you're not backed by the machine, forget it. That corporate machine has many ties and connections that reaches very far and wide. That's why you see people like Kanye West getting 5 star reviews in publications like Rolling stone magazine and the NME when, a true artist like Moz can't even get a record deal! WTF is that all about huh? So please support the artists don't just download. And you jokers who say that you are still going to buy it or you already have it pre ordered are full of SHITE! I'm willing to bet, out of everyone who has downloaded the leak, possibly 2% of you will also purchase it or have already pre ordered it!

You're wrong about that. Yes there will always be a few douche bags who just download a pirated copy but have you read the comments on this thread? I think it's pretty clear they will all be buying a copy bar a few who have heard it and hate it and they know who they are. I have abstained from downloading not because I'm against it but I want to hear my vinyl copy for my first listen.

I wouldn't bet too much on your 2% prediction 'cause it may be beans for dinner.

Your comments on production etc were interesting to read though :)

btw yes I am hurtin' real bad it won't be long...

There are people who, no matter how much they love an artist, will only download the music for free. And there are people who will buy multiple versions of one release. It’s not exclusive to just Moz.

I think I need one track...other than the four singles....argh....but there is something about opening the box and the reveal and the connection between the disc and the sound within. This is going to be a hard week. I must decorate, cycle, paint the garden fence and try to lose 6 pounds...

There seem to be more and more negative reviews appearing, which is worrying. Is this another Quarry like example of "dead cat bounce?".

I think I need one track...other than the four singles....argh....but there is something about opening the box and the reveal and the connection between the disc and the sound within. This is going to be a hard week. I must decorate, cycle, paint the garden fence and try to lose 6 pounds...

There seem to be more and more negative reviews appearing, which is worrying. Is this another Quarry like example of "dead cat bounce?".

I promise, if you give it a chance, you’ll love it.

I agree with those who have said this album is a grower. Very true. After my first listen I was rather "eh" about the whole thing, but now after 6 or 7 listens it is much, much improved.

I agree with those who have said this album is a grower. Very true. After my first listen I was rather "eh" about the whole thing, but now after 6 or 7 listens it is much, much improved.

Absolutely. I'm on my tenth listen, and the last two were in the car (the first eight with headphones—and yes, I think that makes a difference!). Each time it grows on me a little bit more, and I want to listen to it all the way through again right away. That's a good sign!

I don't think it'll upset Vauxhall's place in my heart, but that could very well be due to the fact that I as 18 when Vauxhall came out, and now I am…not 18. As much as Morrissey has changed over the years, so have I. My emotional response to NEW music can never be what it was when I was younger, sadly, which is probably why I still listen to stuff that came out when I was a teenager more than anything.

Absolutely. I'm on my tenth listen, and the last two were in the car (the first eight with headphones—and yes, I think that makes a difference!). Each time it grows on me a little bit more, and I want to listen to it all the way through again right away. That's a good sign!

I don't think it'll upset Vauxhall's place in my heart, but that could very well be due to the fact that I as 18 when Vauxhall came out, and now I am…not 18. As much as Morrissey has changed over the years, so have I. My emotional response to NEW music can never be what it was when I was younger, sadly, which is probably why I still listen to stuff that came out when I was a teenager more than anything.

**Can someone please help me with HOW and WHERE to download this? I clicked on the torrent site, but some audio player downloads, and I cannot figure it out.

Many thanks in advance.

Well before anybody else puts it here, yes I have an exclusive "I Am Not A Man" has been answered by Moz.. See the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWWTW1P8rQ

Having said that, actually, I think the album is bloody bloody good, and I'm disappointed in people posting negative "oh I thought this was crap until I listened to it 15 times" or "oh it's amazing, but this song is shit."

The album is a masterpiece, as are all Moz's works. Period.

Well before anybody else puts it here, yes I have an exclusive "I Am Not A Man" has been answered by Moz.. See the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WWWTW1P8rQ

Having said that, actually, I think the album is bloody bloody good, and I'm disappointed in people posting negative "oh I thought this was crap until I listened to it 15 times" or "oh it's amazing, but this song is shit."

The album is a masterpiece, as are all Moz's works. Period.

I wouldn’t necessarily say that everything he’s done is a masterpiece but I truly don’t think he’s put out a bad record. With the Smiths or solo.

I think it's very normal to need multiple listens in different environments in order to feel connected to something. I'm not sure I've ever labeled anything Morrissey has done as "crap," because I respect him too much as an artist to put a line through something he felt strongly enough about to make it available to an audience. It's more about having an emotional connection, and sometimes that doesn't happen for me immediately. The older I get, the harder it is to feel passionately about anything. I don't think it's disrespectful to take time to really get to know a new album (or book, or painting, or person) before you start to understand its place in your life.

Apparently Australia is getting the CDs in shops on Friday the 11th of July and vinyl on the 18th so I don't have to wait that long at all for my first listen! :D

Last edited:
Apparently Australia is getting the CDs in shops on Friday the 11th of July and vinyl on the 18th so I don't have to wait that long at all for my fist listen! :D

Awesome! Can’t wait to see what your opinion is. I’m hoping my vinyl arrives on the release date here in the U.S. (7/15).

Back
Top Bottom