Leeds - Millennium Square (July 12, 2023) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

How Soon Is Now? / Suedehead / Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before / Irish Blood, English Heart / Girlfriend In A Coma / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris / Notre-Dame / I Wish You Lonely / Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings / The Night Pop Dropped / Half A Person / Our Frank / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Knockabout World / The Loop / Please Please Please, Let Me Get What I Want / Jack The Ripper / Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Setlist courtesy of Anon.

Last edited by a moderator:
No encore eh? So the last song was Jack the Ripper?
No, it was sweet and tender hooligan, but he didn't go off in the usual sense, well at least I didn’t see him go off anyway, and loads of others around me didn’t either as they were all waiting for him to come on again. there was loads of smoke after Jack, so maybe he did….but when they left the stage for what we all thought was the encore, they didn’t come back…plus it was only 10:15 and they had until 10:30 I think!

Great gig, only the 2nd time I've seen him outdoors in about 30 shows but the sound was good and the band did not disappoint. Some great banter between songs and the setlist was good, a slight lull after the first half a dozen songs but I wouldn't want a complete greatest hits set anyway. Support bands were good, Slow Readers Club were decent but they struggled to follow the Lottery Winners as the singer seemed to have the crowd in the palm of his hand, well he had me at least and those around me.

A fab night, venue was great and thankfully the weather was fine, a nice evening sky with lovely architecture gave it a unique feel and really added to some of the numbers - the music drop out section of “Sunday” and the enveloping fog of “Jack The Ripper” the latter in which was stunning as the smoke rose up out into the sunset.
Setlist wise, yes it’s not a stunner but actually I think that’s more to do with it being so similar (almost identical) to last years UK leg; when “Our Frank” “Please Please Please” and “The Loop” got played last year everyone went crackers and all sound great now still, so can’t blame Moz for not changing it up massively, especially with some band rearrangements.
Missed Alain and Gustavo in their presence but felt their successors performed well, Moz was in terrific voice and good spirits, some genuinely nice gags though no goodbye and no encore left a few bemused. “Suedehead” returning was a great touch though, and the first five or so songs were almost too crowd pleaserish, so as a result the middle did sage considering the short set length, which hopefully in time is either finessed with better flow or reconstructed with better songs.
Few bits of argy bargy in the crowd and no one made it to the stage, not a handshake from where I could see.
Lottery Winners were a great laugh and deserved a great crowd response, Slow Readers Club decent but I won’t be investigating further on my own accord, makes me wonder who these where chosen by - Moz himself or the venue as the gig was part of their summer series. I thought it was odd to see M have support having had none for the best part of 10 years.

Last edited:
A very mediocre performance imo. And only 75 minutes, which was not long enough.

Went to see Pulp earlier this week in Scarborough, who were miles better

Haha good one!
True story, there's a few duds on Southpaw and it only has 8 tracks at that. And Southpaw is probably better than Maladjusted and Kill Uncle.

A fab night, venue was great and thankfully the weather was fine, a nice evening sky with lovely architecture gave it a unique feel and really added to some of the numbers - the music drop out section of “Sunday” and the enveloping fog of “Jack The Ripper” the latter in which was stunning as the smoke rose up out into the sunset.
Setlist wise, yes it’s not a stunner but actually I think that’s more to do with it being so similar (almost identical) to last years UK leg; when “Our Frank” “Please Please Please” and “The Loop” got played last year everyone went crackers and all sound great now still, so can’t blame Moz for not changing it up massively, especially with some band rearrangements.
Missed Alain and Gustavo in their presence but felt their successors performed well, Moz was in terrific voice and good spirits, some genuinely nice gags though no goodbye and no encore left a few bemused. “Suedehead” returning was a great touch too, the first five or so songs were almost too crowd pleaserish, so as a result the middle did sage considerably.
Few bits of argy bargy in the crowd and no one made it to the stage, not a handshake from where I could see.
Lottery Winners were a great laugh and deserved a great crowd response, Slow Readers Club decent but I won’t be investigating further on my own accord, makes me wonder who these where chosen by - Moz himself or the venue as the gig was part of their summer series. I thought it was odd to see M have support having had none for the best part of 10 years.
I don’t know whether the support acts were hand picked by Morrissey or if the venue suggested them and he gave them his blessing after doing his homework on them.

One thing’s for sure, if Morrissey didn’t want them on the bill then they wouldn’t have been there. He’s a control freak.

Seems to be at least part of the underlying theme of much of the disappointment amongst the fans in recent years. We’ve all gotten (mostly) used to a relatively short set list. It makes sense for the set lists to be much the same as previous tours as it allows those that were there previously to give M at least some level of comfort that they’ll be able to carry the load. If they were all tasked with learning up new stuff, I’m guessing his anxiety levels would likely suffer...this isn’t exactly the band he wanted backing him and I’m sure he was a little nervous.
It wasn’t a big deal to those in Israel and it won’t be in South America because it’s been years since they’ve heard ANY songs live… if these set lists carry over, it’ll be “new” to them. It’s the fans in the UK, Ireland and the US that are going to be left holding the bag and likely to raise the most issue (as is evident in these posts and on the street). It’s a bit of a like it or lump it situation as is often the case. If he can get thru to SA, I’m guessing it’ll be a small triumph and things will be fine. The fans there will be amazing as they always support bands that make the effort to go. In many ways they’ll help carry the energy and I’d be surprised if they’re not some of the best gigs from the tour.

Why are you so sure that this isn't the band he wants backing him? He seems quite happy with them.

As much as it pains me to say it, but you’re right. Here’s why - Jesse joined in 2004 and became a main staple in 2009 when Alain was replaced, er, I mean ill. Because of this, the music has gone downhill and will continue to go downhill because Jesse has brainwashed Morrissey and Moz can’t see the forest for the trees. Now both Boz and Alain are gone and I doubt either one will be back. So there goes the two greatest songwriters Morrissey has worked with. Alain has won awards and has written songs for some of the most popular and well respected people in music. What the hell does he need someone like Jesse Tobias, who has accomplished nothing, telling him how it’s gonna be done in the Morrissey camp? It’s a f***ing joke.

Tech issues with the guitarist tonight? 🙄

God. I never thought I’d feel this way.
Great post. Everything you said is (sadly) true.

Please ... Just beautiful :kissingclosed:

It would appear that way.

He has a wonderful back catalogue and yet still plods along with the same old setlist every time.

I mean how many times do we need to hear How Soon is Now? If he wants to swap it for another Smiths number, what about Well I Wonder or Back to the Old House?

All those albums, all those songs, where are they now?
If he wants to sing HSIN, he must have a reason for it.

Acabo de volver a mi habitación de hotel. tren temprano a casa por la mañana. Gran multitud, estoy seguro de que la mayoría de la gente está bien, pero también hubo muchos imbéciles. simplemente atravesando a la gente para llegar al frente, los 2 tipos mayores que reconozco del Leeds Arena en 2020, pero uno de ellos fue expulsado entre aplausos
una carga acumulada durante las primeras canciones, pero no tan mal y se asentó hasta casi el final, cuando las cargas simplemente entraron como una ola de gilipollas... ¡precios totales!
los ganadores de la lotería fueron brillantes, tenían totalmente a la multitud de su lado. los lectores lentos eran competentes, el sonido era bueno pero sin personalidad y un poco aburrido.
Moz estaba en buen estado, sin sorpresas en la lista de canciones aparte de los "días de lanzamiento". Carmen tuvo algunos problemas técnicos durante "stop me", así que sonó horrible, pero aparte de eso, creo que sonaron muy bien. Tengo algunos videos que publicaré si mi WiFi es lo suficientemente bueno... fuera por una copa de vino ahora aunque
This man with those finger injuries needs a dermatologist

Back
Top Bottom