"List of the Lost" physical copy picture posted by @ariel_mcdowall / Twitter

Re: Picture of physical copy of The List of The Lost

the person on twitter was a fan and was expecting a good read, she seemed shocked as to how bad it was.
not a good sign.
maybe thats why there has been a press embargo to make those initial sales that otherwise would be lost when the reviews are read.

Well...Morrissey -Solo better get ready to make the transition from concert tours to book tours. How exciting :rolleyes:

i was curious about that myself, how solo would change when he did.

as to woolf (the pack of wolfs are to numerous for me to remember how to spell with thomas ((my fav)) tom, tobias, virginia etc) i really dont care for her writing. tedious to me but thats just me and i dont find much of it well written. seems very superficial and trite to me and very dull. melville to me is the worst of this style but im guessing moz is a fan given the song billy bud. dumas is also terrible for this but his stories plots are at least fun. my point being the that its not the run on aspect or the complex convolution but like you said i think the alliteration that gets to me and can make something seem a little to pompous and a touch trying to hard but hey its a first novel for a guy whos used to writing what is essentially poems at the end of the day and i dont know if this is going to ruin it for me or not. i dont know also if an editor would fix this and leave alone the other bits (run ons, complexity etc) which im a fan of. i like very few authors who use this style of short plain sentances unless they counter it with complexity somewhere else in the story such as plot, narration subject etc

Books won't save us, books aren't Stanley knives !

Benny-the-British-Butcher

I've read a lot of Woolf for example, and though some of the writing is obscure, it is never bad. At the end of the day, all that matters is whether it is well-written or not. Gratuitous use of alliteration can just look silly and facile.

You cannot even begin to compare Morrissey with Virginia Woolf. She is one of the most talented and sensitive writers in the history of English prose, exploring the workings of the mind through fiction in the same way as Marcel Proust. These are elaborate and complex notions that are not just intelligent but beautifully presented and push our understanding of the world into new areas of thought. Morrissey is/was a great lyricist. He took the romantic notion of the underdog taking on the world, fused it with Oscar Wilde's wit (but never pulled it off quite as well). I like Morrissey's lyrics, I think they are hilarious in parts, tragic in others. But to even put him in the same sentence with some of the greats in literature is a joke. Part of that joke was having his Autobiography published as a Classic. That's fine, ha-ha. He may have more appeal than James Joyce or Lord Byron in popular culture because with a pop song he is easily digestible and passes on elaborate ideas in small turns of phrase - that's his real talent. There isn't really a great deal he is doing that hasn't been done before in terms of literature. As a pop singer though, he is a true original.

here is a real excerpt from the book Look at the blue of the sky and tell me why you held back. Did you think there would one day be a bluer sky and a better hour, what did you think before you were aware best regards manc lad

Hey do you guys remember the backdrop of Edith Sitwell Morrissey used in the 90s? She wrote a book called "The English Eccentrics" and out of curiosity i bought it at the time. It has that same convoluted style.. hope this works out for Mozzer, i'd love for him to write lots.

You cannot even begin to compare Morrissey with Virginia Woolf. She is one of the most talented and sensitive writers in the history of English prose, exploring the workings of the mind through fiction in the same way as Marcel Proust. These are elaborate and complex notions that are not just intelligent but beautifully presented and push our understanding of the world into new areas of thought. Morrissey is/was a great lyricist. He took the romantic notion of the underdog taking on the world, fused it with Oscar Wilde's wit (but never pulled it off quite as well). I like Morrissey's lyrics, I think they are hilarious in parts, tragic in others. But to even put him in the same sentence with some of the greats in literature is a joke. Part of that joke was having his Autobiography published as a Classic. That's fine, ha-ha. He may have more appeal than James Joyce or Lord Byron in popular culture because with a pop song he is easily digestible and passes on elaborate ideas in small turns of phrase - that's his real talent. There isn't really a great deal he is doing that hasn't been done before in terms of literature. As a pop singer though, he is a true original.

i dont see it way but to each his own. swans way and all of the others sections of the story are to me very interesting on lots of levels but its not the most emotionally meaningful novel to me. virginia wolf i just dont find to be either interesting or meaningful

here is a real excerpt from the book Look at the blue of the sky and tell me why you held back. Did you think there would one day be a bluer sky and a better hour, what did you think before you were aware best regards manc lad

That quotation (quote is a verb, even in Manchester, 'lad') has been posted here already. And it's as pretentious as the other quotation is shite.

i dont see it way but to each his own. swans way and all of the others sections of the story are to me very interesting on lots of levels but its not the most emotionally meaningful novel to me. virginia wolf i just dont find to be either interesting or meaningful

That's okay, John Barleycorn can't see the brilliance in I Just Want to See the Boy Happy.

Bravo Morrissey and The Morrissey Marketing Group LTD-Malibu. Genius marketing releasing it everywhere except the USA, so all the Brits and Euros can read the book over and over again for the next 5 years, while we Americans will be going to your shows every year. Way to keep them hanging on. I think Dale and Brennan in Account Planning need a raise or at least a years supply of KerryGold/Dubliner and a jar of Nancy's marinara sauce. Anonymous-

Last edited:
Apparently, there are three whole pages dedicated to observations on the American television program Bonanza.

[IGM]/p/7-q46CvUld[/IGM]

Bravo Morrissey and The Morrissey Marketing Group LTD-Malibu. Genius marketing releasing it everywhere except the USA, so all the Brits and Euros can read the book over and over again for the next 5 years, while we Americans will be going to your shows every year. Way to keep them hanging on. I think Dale and Brennan in Account Planning need a raise or at least a years supply of KerryGold/Dubliner and a jar of Nancy's marinara sauce. Anonymous-
it probably isn't his choice, if you want to buy it go on amazon.uk.

That quotation (quote is a verb, even in Manchester, 'lad') has been posted here already. And it's as pretentious as the other quotation is shite.
I retweeted it yesterday when radio x sent it out, if it is shite so be it.. we don't have long to wait

The woman who's passed her damning indictment on this novel is, after all, a literary critic, so she's reading it in that guise. Plus, it's the opinion of just one person. I can only hope that people decide to read this book before passing their own judgement. If it's a pile of hog-wild west horse poo then I'll be brutally honest about that fact, but until Amazon Logistics make the rag-tag transaction and deliver it to my door, I'll be very excited, thank you very much.

If established proverbs were allowed modern day updates, I think a famous one would now read 'Don't judge a book based on an ensuing Twitter shitstorm'. Admittedly that doesn't have as much of a ring to it but I think there's some sense in that

Last edited:
Apparently, there are three whole pages dedicated to observations on the American television program Bonanza.

[IGM]/p/7-q46CvUld[/IGM]

:lbf:

Surely this is a bold step forward for postmodern literature. Or not.

I am reserving all judgement (and refusing to peek) until I receive my print copy.

Yikes.

The woman who's passed her damning indictment on this novel is, after all, a literary critic, so she's reading it in that guise. Plus, it's the opinion of just one person. I can only hope that people decide to read this book before passing their own judgement. If it's a pile of hog-wild west horse poo then I'll be brutally honest about that fact, but until Amazon Logistics make the rag-tag transaction and deliver it to my door, I'll be very excited, thank you very much.

If established proverbs were allowed modern day updates, I think a famous one would now read 'Don't judge a book based on an ensuing Twitter shitstorm'. Admittedly that doesn't have as much of a ring to it but I think there's some sense in that

One thing for certain, given the varied posts about his music on these Solo boards, is that some will see it as the best written document since the Bible whilst others wouldn't wipe their arse with it. I can't remember there being a consensus on this site about anything ever. All I can say is that he better be good at writing as his days in the music biz seem to be drawing to a close. Or it will be solving crossword and Sudoku puzzles by the fire in his old age.

Just ordered via iBooks. As Evennow says above, there will be some who rave about this, no matter what it's like. Is there some sort of meta-critic of book reviews, that collects reviews and averages them out? I'd say that would be a fair reflection. Also on Amazon, iBooks, the newspapers...

P.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom