"Low In High School" review by Andrew Perry (4/5 stars) in Q (Dec. 2017)

'His best since 'Vauxhall and I', and will be known as his Israel album.' Line from 'Israel': "They bitch and moan because they are not like you". Oh dear.

Scan posted by 001:

41011_lihs_q_review.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reviews don't matter to me either, and like i said on the other thread, Uncut gave overwhelmingly favourable reviews for YOR and ROTT also. No sour grapes, no conspiracies, no disgruntled reviewers looking to plot Morrisseys downfall, Just an honest review of the album. And If you're content with Morrisseys output over the last 3 years, then i'm happy for you, at least there's people out there still getting some pleasure from his music. But I'll stick to the Smiths and his earlier solo years for now. Though I do believe he has one great album left in him, just not this one.

'But I'll stick to the Smiths and his earlier solo years for now.'

I enjoy that and the present songs too,without the need to compare one against the other, and my life is richer for it !
:)

America Is Not The World was a song of extraordinary bravery. ...

Musically, it sounds like an off-cut from George Michael's Listen Without Prejudice and the lines about hamburgers and big, fat pigs are horribly clumsy.

Morrissey's Sade song! That sums it up perfectly. I've tried and tried, but the delivery... There's a wild man in my head? Is he on valium? And then the flute solo. Flute. Solo. :lbf:

Right up until the point that You Are The Quarry came out, I would've still counted myself as a fan. I'd already heard three of the songs on Janice Long's late-night show and I was really optimistic about the album. Honestly, though, I still vividly remember getting home from work on the day it was released and sitting there in my then flat, listening to it, filled with expectation and how quickly it turned to disappointment. Sonically, I'm Not Sorry is a f***ing atrocity (flute solo, indeed!), but by the time I got to the "sinking below the waterline" bit, I distinctly remember thinking, "I wish you f***ing would sink below the waterline, never to be seen or heard from ever again, you pathetic, self-pitying c***". I think I really began to hate him then. The album had some good songs (I like, probably, about half of it), but I began to think him utterly contemptible, as a person, from that point onwards.

It's only got worse from there.

when I first heard the grooves,keys and flute on 'Quarry' it made me think of Gil Scott-Heron and that kind of 70's vibe.
I get where he was trying to go, but it's not my favorite. I think the synths were either too cheesy, or not cheesy enough. I guess for me it's not so much laid back as much as laid flat on its back. It's nearly listless in its delivery by everyone involved.

EDIT And I seemed to remember dominant synths, but listening to it now for the first time in forever, no. I do think it would make a good backing track for a hip hop song though.

If you cannot listen to First Of The Gang To Die or Come Back To Camden and recognise them as truly outstanding late Morrissey compositions I’m not sure what I can suggest short of a chimney sweep to the ears.

Quarry is his last great album. Even after Low In High School is released I suspect that will still be the case.

along with Wordpeace...Istanbul, bullfighter, staircase...plus kiss me a lot [which is not better than Spent the day in Bed] oboe ,smiler with knife...Quarry was also more the return of Morrissey, 7 years no album, so BMG is doing good, but what PR he got with YATQ was really good, there no bad Morrissey album or weak.

Morrissey likes his backing vocals, whether its from band members like Alain or Gustavo, or outside collaborators (Kristy MacColl to name one). Just don't do it without a request!

True. To eager to please I guess. Of course we also might not have his own music to listen to

The only Rockabilly came between Kill Uncle and Your Arsenal.

No, there were still rockabilly elements on Vauxhall & I. It doesn't mean that it was a fully blown rockabilly album, or that it was as "rockabilly" as Your Arsenal. Your Arsenal wasn't an entirely rockabilly oriented album either. You're taking this too literally.

"The Lazy Sunbathers" was really just a slowed-down Buddy Holly style song. It had the progressions, and the tone of the genre, similar to what Chris Issaks was doing around the same time, and what Richard Hawley, a rockabilly oriented artist, does on his albums. It was his rockabilly crooner album, or Elvis pulling away from his Sun years album.

The slide breakdown on "The More You Ignore Me" was another example. You could even hear the rockabilly crooner angle in Used To Be a Sweet Boy; it's just slowed down. "Hated For Loving" was another classic rockabilly influenced track. The slides, the scales, the bends, and the overall production of the track contain the spirit. Even some of the lead guitar passages on Hold On To Your Friends have a bit of rockabilly DNA in them that comes through nicely.

The point is, these elements, however subtle, affected his overall sound, and gave him his most perfectly fitting musical identity. After that, he never really found a sound that complemented his voice, or his lyrics they way the rockabilly influenced did; or the way the distinct, alternative style of The Smiths, and his early solo work did. He was at his best on the rockabilly style tracks on The Smiths albums as well.

I think that's the problem: After Vauxhall, Morrissey's sound seemed closer to generic, L.A. style pop-punk bands, or British pub rock than it did to the haunting, and carefully manicured sounds of his previous albums.

He stopped sounding like an "alternative" artist, and started sounding more like he was trying to fit in musically. I think that's what many fans of that era lament the most: Morrissey's lost his aura of other-worldliness. People kept thinking Morrissey was going to eventually become a Bowie, Eno, or Cale style artist, and instead, he sound more like Oasis.

It's why I think "World Peace" was actually an interesting musical achievement, even if I didn't entirely enjoy the lyrical content of the album. At the very least, it seemed closer to what he was willing to try at his peak, than anything he did after it.

Right up until the point that You Are The Quarry came out, I would've still counted myself as a fan. I'd already heard three of the songs on Janice Long's late-night show and I was really optimistic about the album. Honestly, though, I still vividly remember getting home from work on the day it was released and sitting there in my then flat, listening to it, filled with expectation and how quickly it turned to disappointment. Sonically, I'm Not Sorry is a f***ing atrocity (flute solo, indeed!), but by the time I got to the "sinking below the waterline" bit, I distinctly remember thinking, "I wish you f***ing would sink below the waterline, never to be seen or heard from ever again, you pathetic, self-pitying c***". I think I really began to hate him then. The album had some good songs (I like, probably, about half of it), but I began to think him utterly contemptible, as a person, from that point onwards.

It's only got worse from there.

And yet here you still are 13 years on.

So what exactly does that say about you?

anonymous above don't hold back now.im sure M feels the exact same way about you.
what terrible language for a Monday morning.
anons parents would be affronted if they heard him speak like that.

No, there were still rockabilly elements on Vauxhall & I. It doesn't mean that it was a fully blown rockabilly album, or that it was as "rockabilly" as Your Arsenal. Your Arsenal wasn't an entirely rockabilly oriented album either. You're taking this too literally.

"The Lazy Sunbathers" was really just a slowed-down Buddy Holly style song. It had the progressions, and the tone of the genre, similar to what Chris Issaks was doing around the same time, and what Richard Hawley, a rockabilly oriented artist, does on his albums. It was his rockabilly crooner album, or Elvis pulling away from his Sun years album.

The slide breakdown on "The More You Ignore Me" was another example. You could even hear the rockabilly crooner angle in Used To Be a Sweet Boy; it's just slowed down. "Hated For Loving" was another classic rockabilly influenced track. The slides, the scales, the bends, and the overall production of the track contain the spirit. Even some of the lead guitar passages on Hold On To Your Friends have a bit of rockabilly DNA in them that comes through nicely.

The point is, these elements, however subtle, affected his overall sound, and gave him his most perfectly fitting musical identity. After that, he never really found a sound that complemented his voice, or his lyrics they way the rockabilly influenced did; or the way the distinct, alternative style of The Smiths, and his early solo work did. He was at his best on the rockabilly style tracks on The Smiths albums as well.

I think that's the problem: After Vauxhall, Morrissey's sound seemed closer to generic, L.A. style pop-punk bands, or British pub rock than it did to the haunting, and carefully manicured sounds of his previous albums.

He stopped sounding like an "alternative" artist, and started sounding more like he was trying to fit in musically. I think that's what many fans of that era lament the most: Morrissey's lost his aura of other-worldliness. People kept thinking Morrissey was going to eventually become a Bowie, Eno, or Cale style artist, and instead, he sound more like Oasis.

It's why I think "World Peace" was actually an interesting musical achievement, even if I didn't entirely enjoy the lyrical content of the album. At the very least, it seemed closer to what he was willing to try at his peak, than anything he did after it.

Wonderful post. Thanks.

I guess that Bowie, Eno and Cale all developed and matured musically because they could/can actually play the instruments they employed. They lived for the studio and put in countless hours of experimentation developing the sound in their heads. I know Moz has tinkled on the piano a little, but he relies upon others to create the music. He is clearly willing to embrace more experimental sounds (Sweetie-Pie, Smiler et al) but needs Boz, Jesse, etc. to deliver the goods.

When I listened for first time World Peace I loved the work of Gustavo, I only hope that Manzur don't makes in Low in High School the same things in synths than in World Peace.
I like when he sings Speedway in spanish, but is for the meaning, not it is for the hability or the translation (sucks :eek:). So, I hope that he don't abuse of the synths. The chorus in spanish are ok.

joe chic will have flowing haunting music running through this album with Ms voice sounding very crisp and clear
least that's what I'm hoping for.

Come Back to Camden is truly a great song on a middling album. I also liked Irish Blood, Crashing Bores (although I prefer the faster early live version) and You Know I Couldn't Last. Always felt Last of the Gang was somewhat overrated, the lyrics feel clumsy in places and the rest of the album for me is just 'meh.'
I agree...mostly. Camden is a classic. I don't think Gang got clumsy until they started playing that horrible live version. I love the way Couldn't Last flows, and is one of Morrissey's finest feats to close a song lyrically. I also really like Alain's playing on Let Me Kiss You. It's a slower song for a live set, but when placed correctly really can be a great bridge. Bores is my least favorite on the album, but that's just personal taste.
Quarry is a great 'story-telling' LP. Kind of at the tail end of the era when people would listen to an album from beginning to end and not pick at it like it was a plate of nachos.

I digress....

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom