Mike Joyce on Tinnitus awareness - ITV News report

Hundreds of thousands of people in the North West suffer from tinnitus - ITV News

Mike Joyce appeared at Salford Lads Club on Sunday 23rd July, supporting Inspiral Carpets' 'Tea For Tinnitus'' following drummer Craig Gill's sad death late last year.
Craig - who also ran the Manchester Music Tours - had suffered with tinnitus for 20 years - a condition that Mike has.

Click on the link and there are two news reports from the event, Mike features in the top one.

Jukebox ''Come On City'' Jury :thumb:

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
You can actually hear Mike's tinnitus all the way through the title track on The Queen Is Dead.

Well, I guess I could say and have said many critical things about Mike Joyce but that he actually does something to raise the awareness of this very serious issue for especially youngsters and aspiring young musicians is a very good thing and he can tell them how serious it is and what the effects are on your mental and physical wellbeing.

For many, the effects of tinnitus will only appear in your middle age years and for young people they don't tend to think about effects occurring 25 or 30 years later. Just like most of them are not concerned about their pension. :rolleyes:

Especially when after being present at a concert, a club, or performing music themselves, they go home with that ringing sound in their ears which seems to be gone the next day.
I have a form of tinnitus myself and reckon I have been a bit too much at very loud concerts.

I remember a concert by The Clash that was so loud, I felt every bass tone resembling in my chest and that were only the lower tones. I felt blasted away backwards and found a place behind the pa where I could hide a little bit.
Don't know if there are any revolutionary developments in designing and producing earplugs that let you hear enough of the music without causing damage.

By the way, it is not only due to loud, electronic amplified music the damage is done.
It is a well-known phenomenon under many classical musicians who do concerts all around the world but I guess regular visitors of those concerts have less issues then people who are regular visiting electronic amplified pop concerts.
I hope Mike Joyce will go on raising awareness ! :thumb:

It is great that they raise the awareness of tinnitus cause many times they confuse damages to hearing caused by noise with vitamin and mineral deficiency. For example a low level of Magnesium and B12 will create a ringing in the ears. I have experienced this myself.

You can also experience ringing and other sounds when you are tired.

Well, I guess I could say and have said many critical things about Mike Joyce but that he actually does something to raise the awareness of this very serious issue for especially youngsters and aspiring young musicians is a very good thing and he can tell them how serious it is and what the effects are on your mental and physical wellbeing.

For many, the effects of tinnitus will only appear in your middle age years and for young people they don't tend to think about effects occurring 25 or 30 years later. Just like most of them are not concerned about their pension. :rolleyes:

Especially when after being present at a concert, a club, or performing music themselves, they go home with that ringing sound in their ears which seems to be gone the next day.
I have a form of tinnitus myself and reckon I have been a bit too much at very loud concerts.

I remember a concert by The Clash that was so loud, I felt every bass tone resembling in my chest and that were only the lower tones. I felt blasted away backwards and found a place behind the pa where I could hide a little bit.
Don't know if there are any revolutionary developments in designing and producing earplugs that let you hear enough of the music without causing damage.

By the way, it is not only due to loud, electronic amplified music the damage is done.
It is a well-known phenomenon under many classical musicians who do concerts all around the world but I guess regular visitors of those concerts have less issues then people who are regular visiting electronic amplified pop concerts.
I hope Mike Joyce will go on raising awareness ! :thumb:

Using earplugs will in fact make you enjoy a concert more than you do without them but in Sweden there are laws stating how loud a concert is allowed to be but many bands and artists have of course ignored that. Motörhead being the prime example.

i had tinnitus accompanied by internal tremors (constantly feels like you're in a car driving on a gravelly road--horribly unsettling feeling) every summer for four years in a row, and had to get tested for all sorts of things and no one knew what it was. at first i didnt realize the tinnitus was coming from me, i thought the electrical lines outside my house were making a buzzing noise, supported by the fact that when i left the house, other noises managed to mask the tinnitus. turns out i just wasnt drinking enough water.

My aunt has tinnitus and maybe that was the origin of her actual depression. She never played in a band, she didn't assist to a lot of live concerts. Just went to dance no more than once a week with her husband and friends when they were younger. After several medical studies doctors said they didn't know the cause and therefore they couldn't recommend a specific treatment. Anyway, she tried a lot of treatments with different doctors, all in vain. She was prescribed a white noise generator similar to a hearing aid but she doesn't use it because she says it is not helpful. My cousins are very concerned about her, as well as my mother.

Last edited:
Using earplugs will in fact make you enjoy a concert more than you do without them but in Sweden there are laws stating how loud a concert is allowed to be but many bands and artists have of course ignored that. Motörhead being the prime example.

Maybe that explains why people who suffer celiac disease are more prone to suffer tinnitus.

least its being highlighted,this and the film BABY DRIVER are raising awareness.bd is a fantastic film and should be seen by all.

I think Moz mentioned somewhere that he has tinnitus too. Is that a phobia of eating cold beans from a tin?

KS, TRB, and the other Morrissey lemmings will still slag off Joyce because Morrissey told them what to think.

The irony is they always criticize others for not thinking for themselves, yet they follow single file behind their Mozziah.

Oh the humanity!

Maybe that explains why people who suffer celiac disease are more prone to suffer tinnitus.

Yeah, if your ability to pick up the vitamins and minerals from food and drink is damaged then of course a lot of bad things will follow. Rifke mentions water cause one of the things you find in water is Magnesium.

Low levels of iron will also create tinnitus like symptoms so women may experience that during their period every month. I took iron pills recently and the noise in my ears disappeared.

I also experienced the sound phenomenon that Rifke describes and many years ago I thought someone was standing with a car and the motor running outside the house but the noise came from the ears and it was like the noise was inside the entire head and the room I was in.

I think stress added to my problems at the time and I also listened to a lot of music at home and going to England for concerts and football games and a lot of singing and celebrating must have had an impact too. My ears never got used to flying cause the pressure made me more or less deaf and it took many hours until I had full hearing again.

I used earplugs when I was flying which reduced the problems a bit.

Yeah, if your ability to pick up the vitamins and minerals from food and drink is damaged then of course a lot of bad things will follow. Rifke mentions water cause one of the things you find in water is Magnesium.

Low levels of iron will also create tinnitus like symptoms so women may experience that during their period every month. I took iron pills recently and the noise in my ears disappeared.

I also experienced the sound phenomenon that Rifke describes and many years ago I thought someone was standing with a car and the motor running outside the house but the noise came from the ears and it was like the noise was inside the entire head and the room I was in.

I think stress added to my problems at the time and I also listened to a lot of music at home and going to England for concerts and football games and a lot of singing and celebrating must have had an impact too. My ears never got used to flying cause the pressure made me more or less deaf and it took many hours until I had full hearing again.

I used earplugs when I was flying which reduced the problems a bit.
it was not magnesium. magnesium was one of the things i got tested for because i know full well that it can cause internal tremors and tinnitus. taking baths with espom salts, just an fyi, is a good way to stave off a magnesium deficiency because your body can absorb it through the skin. the moral of my story? simply drinking more water can solve a good many problems (the reason this occurred for me during the summer months is because that's when a person is more likely to get dehydrated. also i was drinking a lot more coffee back then).

also an interesting fact the doctor told me is that we all have tinnitus and internal tremors but it's just that most people's is turned so low they dont notice it.

it was not magnesium. magnesium was one of the things i got tested for because i know full well that it can cause internal tremors and tinnitus. taking baths with espom salts, just an fyi, is a good way to stave off a magnesium deficiency because your body can absorb it through the skin. the moral of my story? simply drinking more water can solve a good many problems (the reason this occurred for me during the summer months is because that's when a person is more likely to get dehydrated. also i was drinking a lot more coffee back then).

also an interesting fact the doctor told me is that we all have tinnitus and internal tremors but it's just that most people's is turned so low they dont notice it.

Yeah, I know about epsom salt and yes drinking plenty of water is important and coffee is really bad for you although those with an interest in the sales of it claim it is good for you.

The signals in the ears only die when we do.

It's mentioned in this 2013 article that Morrissey has tinnitus ... but there's no source given.

"When working with the singer in the 1990s, engineer Danton Supple discovered Morrissey actually did suffer from 'perforated eardrums' and recurring hearing problems. 'I only know this because I was about to through him into a swimming pool once', says Supple. 'Morrissey started screaming not to do it because of his eardrums.'"

"When working with the singer in the 1990s, engineer Danton Supple discovered Morrissey actually did suffer from 'perforated eardrums' and recurring hearing problems. 'I only know this because I was about to through him into a swimming pool once', says Supple. 'Morrissey started screaming not to do it because of his eardrums.'"

OK, not doubting you, but what's the source for that quote?

Back
Top Bottom