Morrissey A-Z: "My Love Life"

Always, always, always adored this song. Sure, it’s not revolutionary in any way, but it’s honest, heartfelt and true. And it’s a great jangly mid tempo pop song at that. Oh, and the video might be my favorite Morrissey video. What a gorgeous man.

Really like this track. Again another gentle, floaty, dreamy number, with wonderful yearning vocals from Moz.
The chaps look sharp & in pristine condition with the hair & sideburns. Moz looking exceptionally handsome.
The lyrics are basic, the tune is quite simplistic, but as with most of his songs, the magic happens in the way Moz delivers them.
Marvellous.

Last edited by a moderator:
The song is pleasant, but negligible.

The video, however, is mesmerizing. The lads are so young, so relaxed - they just glow. But Morrissey: he's devastatingly handsome here. And that moment, at 1:57, when the lads apparently spot someone who recognizes them and they all smile and wave but Morrissey can't be bothered - he just looks away, the personification of blasé; it's the most Morrissey moment imaginable.

Perfectly executed Moz masterpiece:thumb:
not from 1969:crazy:

Perfectly executed Moz masterpiece:thumb:
not from 1969:crazy:
The Summer of Bryan Adams was BA’s own 16 week spell at number 1 in the U.K. charts (1991)

Stick to the facts instead of making things up, you web footed mutant.
That said, you wouldn’t be aware of anything in 1991 from your genoicde ridden hovel

ps
You’ve never been to a Morrissey concert and you don’t own any Morrissey records👨🏼‍⚖️ :hammer:

Keep fiddling with yourself over Toyah and Robert, you little mutant. 👈👀:crazy:

Have a good day Vogan and Peeps 😉😍🥰👨🏼‍⚖️👆

Much love xx

I don’t want to get into boring and subjective notions of authenticity, but this song works because we believe Morrissey. We can instinctually feel the yearning and honesty in what he’s singing to us. It’s genuinely romantic.

Songs like “Kiss Me a Lot” —also wafer-thin lyrically with pleasant enough music ambling along— sound like shit because there’s nothing real behind it. A little bit can go a long way when it’s got soul.

Beautifully stated. KMAL is "Morrissey by numbers" while this conveys some genuine emotion (or at least it damn sure seems that way). I love how he repeats simple phrases: "Oh, give a...," "Oh, I know you love...," it sounds so poignant and tugs at your "heartstrings" (whatever those are).

I just want to add that this song pairs very well with "I have changed my plea to guilty" on that same EP, making this his best EP of the period 1990 to 1994. Not really the type of song you'd put out as a single though.

Too much nostalgia here. In the last few albums there are much better songs that would deserve more credit than this, and are hated or ignored instead, but no, this self indulgent and lazy song is even considered a classic, because when it came out we were so young... Anyway this happens all the time when we judge artists careers, but I think some more objectivity would be healthy. That said, we all have our taste, of course.

Too much nostalgia here. In the last few albums there are much better songs that would deserve more credit than this, and are hated or ignored instead, but no, this self indulgent and lazy song is even considered a classic, because when it came out we were so young... Anyway this happens all the time when we judge artists careers, but I think some more objectivity would be healthy. That said, we all have our taste, of course.
This is not academia. We tend to ‘judge’ songs based on feelings and memories, not empiric research. Older stuff resonate more with fans because they’ve been around longer, meant more to people over longer periods of time. People have more feelings for and more memories around songs they’ve known for, say, 15-20 years than songs they’ve known for six months.

It makes a nice album track on comps and playlists. Pleasant enough IMO but it’s comforts are slight. In that way it kinda reminds me of some kill uncle songs

I always struggle to explain why I love this song so much. Lyrically it's wafer-thin and musically it just ambles along being quite pretty but somehow those parts combine to create something magical. Maybe it's Morrissey's voice (again!) or the theme of unrequited love - but for whatever reason I never tire of hearing this one.
Thank you, you wrote my review for me.

This is not academia. We tend to ‘judge’ songs based on feelings and memories, not empiric research. Older stuff resonate more with fans because they’ve been around longer, meant more to people over longer periods of time. People have more feelings for and more memories around songs they’ve known for, say, 15-20 years than songs they’ve known for six months.
Yes, I know, I tend to that too.
Something must be squeezing your..
it is, actually.

One of those songs I don’t even need to think about and the melody is already in my head.

10 love / 10 lives @gordyboy9

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom