Morrissey and The Beatles

Girl_Drowning

Below the water line
I just came across this blog which discusses Morrissey and the Beatles. It is quite harsh in its treatment of the Beatles, which I do think is correct. It's nice to Morrissey however! The blogger has done their favorite 10 albums with Moz/The Smiths each getting a place. How many times does Morrissey feature in your top 10?

http://hms-unlovable.blogspot.com/

Re: Morrissey and The Beatles???

I just came across this blog which discusses Morrissey and the Beatles. It is quite harsh in its treatment of the Beatles, which I do think is correct. It's nice to Morrissey however! The blogger has done their favorite 10 albums with Moz/The Smiths each getting a place. How many times does Morrissey feature in your top 10?

:confused:

Are you asking 'how many times does Morrissey feature in my top 10'?

Nil.
I'm not having a Nick Hornby syndrome.

Not a very thorough analysis. If there's a case to be made against The Beatles, he/she didn't make it convincingly.

Based on the list I'm guessing the writer didn't start listening to music until after The Beatles had come and gone. Therefore it may be difficult to understand the hype around them. Lots of people can give very detailed reasons as to why The Beatles are brilliant no matter how old you are, or when you discovered them, but speaking broadly about the history of rock music I think The Beatles' legend stems from when and how they emerged. You have to know the musical landscape of the early Sixties to understand fully what The Beatles meant to rock and roll, and few of us here do. The same is true of The Smiths. To "get" the hype, you kind of have to understand the Eighties.

No, I am not saying "you had to be there". You can love and understand The Smiths if you were born in 1990. I'm just saying that any attempt to understand the history and the hype of these groups is impossible without historical context.

As an example, the blogger listed Patti Smith's "Horses" as a favorite. In my view you can only really call that one a classic when you keep in mind the barren musical landscape on which that album was dropped like a bomb. Because listening to it today, well-- the LP wants a certain something, let's leave it at that. The blogger can't understand The Beatles' popularity, but lots of other readers can't understand his/her list, either.

Best to try and make the case through a close analysis of the music itself.

I'm too young to remember The Beatles, but I adored them. I've always felt that I've understood (even secondhand) the numbing stasis of the late '50s/early '60s enough to understand the scope of their achievement. I've watched the first Ed Sullivan clip a thousand times, and you can almost hear the gears of history turning. Why is everyone screaming? You had to be there, I suppose.

When I listen to the Beatles I hear: the aftermath of JFK, a man walking on the moon, the Vietnam war, the popularization of Eastern mysticism in the Western mind, mens' hair getting longer, womens' skirts getting shorter, The Pill, LSD, and the (temporary) cultural triumph of the multi-hued Appolonian/Dionysian ideal over the Brooks Brothers grey, dead hand of Wall Street.

Revolver isn't just an album, it's a turning point.

The Smiths really shine most brightly in the context of the '80s. Morrissey was a bolt from the blue. Sure, you can be born in the '80s/'90s and "get" The Smiths, just like I "got" the Beatles years after they broke up. It is difficult to dismiss any work of art, however, if you did not experience it's moment first hand. Knowing the historical context of a great work always makes it all the more powerful, and makes the artist seem that much more uncanny.

I'm too young to remember The Beatles, but I adored them. I've always felt that I've understood (even secondhand) the numbing stasis of the late '50s/early '60s enough to understand the scope of their achievement. I've watched the first Ed Sullivan clip a thousand times, and you can almost hear the gears of history turning. Why is everyone screaming? You had to be there, I suppose.

When I listen to the Beatles I hear: the aftermath of JFK, a man walking on the moon, the Vietnam war, the popularization of Eastern mysticism in the Western mind, mens' hair getting longer, womens' skirts getting shorter, The Pill, LSD, and the (temporary) cultural triumph of the multi-hued Appolonian/Dionysian ideal over the Brooks Brothers grey, dead hand of Wall Street.

Revolver isn't just an album, it's a turning point.

The Smiths really shine most brightly in the context of the '80s. Morrissey was a bolt from the blue. Sure, you can be born in the '80s/'90s and "get" The Smiths, just like I "got" the Beatles years after they broke up. It is difficult to dismiss any work of art, however, if you did not experience it's moment first hand. Knowing the historical context of a great work always makes it all the more powerful, and makes the artist seem that much more uncanny.

Excellent post.

Yeah, it's hard to compare, really. The Beatles were/are a cultural phenomenon so of course they are over-rated, but you need different criteria to assess artists in various historical contexts.

that's all he says about The Betles?
I'm sorry, you all Beatles lovers, but I never understood the hoopla. I like Abbey Road and some other songs, but come on...
I wouldn't even praise the vocal harmonies.

that's all he says about The Betles?
I'm sorry, you all Beatles lovers, but I never understood the hoopla. I like Abbey Road and some other songs, but come on...
I wouldn't even praise the vocal harmonies.

The Beatles perfected pop music. I'm not even a huge fan, but the Fab Four remain out of bounds when it comes to music elitism - they were it and will forever remain it.

I see an error in my initial post, I meant to say that I didn't agree with this persons harsh treatment of The Beatles, not that I do. Nice to see people supporting what were a revolutionary band.

There are two types of people in the world:
Beatles people and Elvis people.

which side am I on?
see avatar. ;)

Actually, Beatles people and Rolling Stones people.

I'm sure ray is referring to a bit from Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" screenplay:

MIA (OS)
Now I'm gonna ask you a bunch of
quick questions I've come up with
that more of less tell me what kind
of person I'm having dinner with.
My theory is that when it comes to
important subjects, there's only
two ways a person can answer. For
instance, there's two kinds of
people in this world, Elvis people
and Beatles people. Now Beatles
people can like Elvis. And Elvis
people can like the Beatles. But
nobody likes them both equally.
Somewhere you have to make a
choice. And that choice tells me
who you are.

I'm sure ray is referring to a bit from Quentin Tarantino's "Pulp Fiction" screenplay:

MIA (OS)
Now I'm gonna ask you a bunch of
quick questions I've come up with
that more of less tell me what kind
of person I'm having dinner with.
My theory is that when it comes to
important subjects, there's only
two ways a person can answer. For
instance, there's two kinds of
people in this world, Elvis people
and Beatles people. Now Beatles
people can like Elvis. And Elvis
people can like the Beatles. But
nobody likes them both equally.
Somewhere you have to make a
choice. And that choice tells me
who you are.

Thanks, I didn't remember it because last time I saw the film was almost 10 years ago. :o

Thanks, I didn't remember it because last time I saw the film was almost 10 years ago. :o

Nor would you remember it! It was from a scene that was cut from the final movie. You have to watch the DVD extras to see it. :)

Nor would you remember it! It was from a scene that was cut from the final movie. You have to watch the DVD extras to see it. :)

I hardly watch films on DVD, don't have a DVD player.
I prefer to watch films in cinema.

So are Beatles, Elvis and Rolling Stones people, people who are more drawn towards one than the other? Like I love those Elvis movies :D, but the Beatles and Rolling Stones have not spoken to me yet. Am I thus an Elvis person? And what does this tell you about me? :)

So are Beatles, Elvis and Rolling Stones people, people who are more drawn towards one than the other? Like I love those Elvis movies :D, but the Beatles and Rolling Stones have not spoken to me yet. Am I thus an Elvis person? And what does this tell you about me? :)

liking any elvis movie tells me you have profoundly poor taste in movies. :p

It's not easy for people who never grew up with the Beatles to understand.
I am one of the the luckier ones.
Of course if you listen to Beatles music now,you don't get it.
It's the same for Elvis.People just don't realise how new it all was.
Elvis and The Beatles changed things in ways you can't even begin to imagine.
40-50 years ago the world was a very,very different place.
We never had the communication like we have now and yet these people made an huge impact on the world.

----------------
Now playing: The Beatles - Revolution
via FoxyTunes

Back
Top Bottom