Morrissey for UK Number 1: FB group

I thought 'The World Is Full Of Crashing Bores' would have been a better option to go against an X-Factor song.

The groups doing it just for the hell of it. Not to go against an x factor song. Although judging by the rest of the shite that makes up the top 40, that would be an ideal song choice :thumb:

Re: For your interest

What it did, was this:
The Xmas number one in the UK is the most (or was when I was a kid in the 70's) coverted number one in the whole year. I can recall every Xmas number one throughout the whole 70's......
What we have seen since the start of X Factor, is the winner is ''guarenteed' to be number 1 for Xmas. The RATM campaign ended that ''guarentee''. The point against the X Factor is that we know this years 2010 winner will also be number 1.... and that is regardless of the quality of the song or singer - unless another campaign is started to topple that too. People are fed up of the charts being manipulated in this way, where the whole show is timed to end the week before Xmas and for the winner to ''get the top slot''.
Who cares the RATM sing was number 40 this week. Who cares anything about the charts in the first week of the year..... X Factor can be number 1 for all we care...but the fact remains, that the winner will go down in history as the first winner NOT to be number 1 at Xmas and that will piss Cowell off more than anything.... money and manipulation simply couldn't buy him that number 1 spot.

Jukebox Jury

But my whole view of this campaigning business is that it's pointless - I've said before that if RATM had released a new song for Xmas and that had got to number one then it would have been impressive. It would have been impressive all because it was a song that had achieved it's success naturally. I only mention that RATM has sunk far quicker than Joe (would love to know if any other single has been top five one week, then almost out of the top forty the next - doubt it happens often?) because to me it proves the essential problem with the campaign - it did nothing to better the chart.

The X Factor is basically the equivelent of the Facebook group - Facebook won but ultimately both were a wee bit of an artificial attempt at making something popular. It's the same manipulation, just with a heavier set of guitars and a bit more swearing.

And also, I doubt Cowell cares at all. If he has really lost faith in McElderry then he'll rush an album out quickly, let it make money from his fans and then let him sink. He's got another series of X Factor to make him and Sony another bundle of money. Read the NME interview with him and it's clear he only cares about the business side of the thing - the whole campaign just meant his name was in the papers even more.

Someone has now started a Smiths Meat is Murder Anniversary Number 1 Group for How Soon is Now, wasnt there an attempt sometime last year to get Meat is Murder to number 1?

here

because to me it proves the essential problem with the campaign - it did nothing to better the chart.

The aim was not to better the chart - but to simply stop X Factor being Xmas number 1 and it succeeded in that aim.

By the way, Irish Blood English Heart, if I'm correct, was something like No 3, No 9 and then way way out of the top 30:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Its sad but unfortunately the charts have been ruined by downloading anyway - RATM's track was selling for 8p on most sites, hardly the same as a punter going into town to a record shop to pay £3 or £4 for a song they love.

Dizzywhore is right - this did nothing to better the chart in fact it rendered it worthless. The singles chart in Britain is part of our culture and it has been lost because all rules have been broken which determine what can and cannot chart. We might as well do what the US do and chart by airplay therefore removing all public opinion whatsoever - People in this country liked Joe and wanted him to be number one, I think its snobbishness to think that they are "wrong".

Anyway - as someone who loves the heritige of British music I doubt Moz would be overly impressed with a number one from these means especially an old track. Perhaps people could just make the effort to by his new material when it comes...;)

I have never actually downloaded a song before. Im quite old fashioned. I like to have the single in my hand, I like the process of buying and then adding it to my collection. They look nice on my bookshelf.

I used to get quite excited about monday mornings and rushing to woolworths to get a new release (where I grew up, woolworths was the only place to buy records/cd's. And even that was a bus ride away!)

Im hoping to inherit my dad's vinyl collection one day. I would like to pass on my collection to my own children. You can't pass on downloads.
The youngsters of today are missing out.

:rolleyes:

The aim was not to better the chart - but to simply stop X Factor being Xmas number 1 and it succeeded in that aim.

By the way, Irish Blood English Heart, if I'm correct, was something like No 3, No 9 and then way way out of the top 30:eek:

Jukebox Jury

Maybe, but it was the pretentious terms thrown around like "real music" that left a sore taste - people out there seem to think that Christmas week 2009 the battle between Joe and Rage changed the charts for the better, when in fact it made no difference in the slightest. If they really wanted to make a fool of X Factor it would've been better to push something utterly novelty to the top and made EVERYONE look silly.

Yes! Let's get ''America is not the world'' to number 1:rofl:
(Though we'd have to edit the line out about a black person never being President:thumb:)

Jukebox Jury

And there are those who claim that the 15th president James Buchannan was gay. If that true then that lyric was incorrect as long ago as 1856.

The Fb group attempting to get How soon is now to No. 1 (to celebrate 25th anniversary of Meat is Murder) is gathering a little more pace than the Everday is like Sunday group. Appears to have been set up by Smiths Indeed.

Pesronally, Im hoping Sisqo gets the recognition he deserves and Thong song makes it to the top :lbf:

There is also a FB group trying to get How Soon Is Now to No 1. It seems a bit better thought out. They are trying to get The Smiths first UK No1 on the 25th anniversary of Meat Is Murder being released. (Feb 11th) They also state they have some sort of celebration booked at Salford Lads club for that date (no idea what?) They have attracted 1400 followers in the first 24 hours who want it to happen. including Mike Joyce who has left comments. I think they have a good chance of a decent chart position and with a bit of luck The Smiths could get their very first UK No1 hit.

There is also a FB group trying to get How Soon Is Now to No 1. It seems a bit better thought out. They are trying to get The Smiths first UK No1 on the 25th anniversary of Meat Is Murder being released. (Feb 11th) They also state they have some sort of celebration booked at Salford Lads club for that date (no idea what?) They have attracted 1400 followers in the first 24 hours who want it to happen. including Mike Joyce who has left comments. I think they have a good chance of a decent chart position and with a bit of luck The Smiths could get their very first UK No1 hit.

I think the comment in bold just stopped a few peope on here joining in:lbf:

Jukebox Jury

1 million people could join the FB group.....its whether they actually download the song that matters, and at the right time

1 million people could join the FB group.....its whether they actually download the song that matters, and at the right time

and whether they are able to buy a download that registers on the charts. Only UK downloads apply.

Jukebox Jury

So from the looks of things, if you are outside of the UK, you can not buy from Itunes in the UK or Amazon UK for Digital Downloads..Is there any other way of purchasing the download so that it will register in the charts? I'm good for a tenner if so :thumb:

and whether they are able to buy a download that registers on the charts. Only UK downloads apply.

Jukebox Jury

Have you got a link to the group please? Can't seem to find it :confused:.

So from the looks of things, if you are outside of the UK, you can not buy from Itunes in the UK or Amazon UK for Digital Downloads..Is there any other way of purchasing the download so that it will register in the charts? I'm good for a tenner if so :thumb:

Anyone from outside the UK, can paypal me the money (minimum sum of £1000) and I will buy the song for them, downloading the song from my soon to be aquired yacht :thumb:

Jukebox Jury

Back
Top Bottom