Morrissey Friends

spot on, EPbabe!

I have come to the realisation that to admire Morrissey and his music is something I will have to do on my own.

Neither my wife, nor my friends can understand true passion!

spot on, EPbabe!

I have come to the realisation that to admire Morrissey and his music is something I will have to do on my own.

Their loss, good sir, their loss.

I can understand why your wife would have difficulties to understand why you listen to a song like Black Cloud repeatedly.

:lbf: Touché!

My h is a very patient man but when I was listening to Wide to Receive for the 15th time in a row, he said "what a whiney bastard!" :lbf:

I think Maurice E was probably joking, Silke. :rolleyes: :)

oh 'girl with'; how you read me like a book!

err, back to the topic. yes, it's great to have Moz-loving friends in the real world.
however, as was also mentioned, having the same musical taste as someone isn't quite such a pre-requisite to friendship when you're past your teens and early twenties, altho it's still great to meet people who love the same things (musical taste or anything, really).
I think half the reason why sites like these are so addictive is that you feel you're among like minds, to a greater or lesser extent, and can discuss things that you feel passionately about (id est SP Morrissey)...

My husband is still an active DJ/VJ/composer, etc. Music is his passion, and there are so many bands he's just lovin' right now. There are singers out there who he's borderline fanatical about, and Morrissey isn't one of them. He doesn't usually read Moz's interviews (unless I put them in front of him); he doesn't watch his TV appearances (We did cringe through the Coachella webcast together). He didn't even listen to YOR more than once or twice through. He does enjoy Moz live, though.

Anyway, we were talking music the other night, and I asked him who his favorite singer is these days, and he said (without any hesitation): "Oh - Morrissey, of course."

"Really, why?" I asked.

"Because he's such a glorious disaster" was the reply. :squiffy:

I guess we share the same passion, but in a slightly different way. :rolleyes:

People that like The Smiths but dont know who Morrissey is, piss me off so much!!

People that like The Smiths but dont know who Morrissey is, piss me off so much!!

Why? Some people don't care about the names of the members of the bands whose music they listen to, but still enjoy to listen to the music very much.

I agree with all of you who have said it is 'their loss' because it truly is.

But... (you knew there'd be one) i'd truly love to have one person nearby who understands/sympathises with my obsession, so that when dates are announced and i get tickets etc, we could meet and be over excited about it together,
I have to try my darndest to keep it all in, because i just get the 'look', you know the one? the tolerant one, that also screams, 'oh i do wish you'd shutup about that man, but im gonna keep smiling and pretending i care till you do'.

:lbf:

Man, do I feel your pain. I can't even inadvertently leave a CD in the car for fear it will get winged out the window at high rates of speed! Not one of my friends or relatives (I don't have too many) like Moz. I have tried to lull them into it, but they just don't get it. I am thinking about chucking them all and just playing with my imaginary friends from now on. I look forward to long trips in the car by myself now just so I can turn Moz up as loud as I can stand and sing to the top of my lungs. Remember what the man himself once said . . . "The first thing you have to do when you say you like me is explain why!" To me no explanation is necessary. Just listen. Enough said.

Oh, and talking about concerts . . . I had tickets to two concerts (Jacksonville and Asheville) that got canceled. I had never seen Moz live, so I was devastated when he canceled. My friends were like, oh, that's too bad, but were kind of snickering and calling him a diva, etc. At any rate, I tried my best to find another date on the US tour that would fit in my hectic schedule, to no avail. Then I checked this web site about three weeks ago and saw that he had rescheduled his previous London dates to dates when I was going to be in London. I was virtually orgasmic. But who do you tell??? I managed to get on Ebay and buy some Italian guy's ticket for the stalls at Brixton and now am anxiously awaiting the date. I am going alone to a Morrissey gig in London (not my home town) and am getting shit from my friends as they think I am stupid for going alone. Well, who the hell is going to go with me??? I'm definitely not taking someone who doesn't like Morrissey. They will ruin it for me. I figure I will meet plenty of Moz lovers there and everyting will be fine. Trouble loves me!

Some of my friends like Morrissey and either way all of my friends can appreciate a good obsession :)

Yes.

It isn't important to me whether my friends like Morrissey or not. It's honestly not a discussion that ever really comes up. Though sometimes someone will confess that they don't know him or that they don't like his voice. This has never offended me nor have I ever felt the need to convince them otherwise.

What does matter to me is that my friends 'get' my obsession or that they know how important Morrissey has been for me. I am pretty sure they get it. From time to time I will get Moz related gifts of mag articles sent to me. They want to come to a show because they want to experience the euphoria with me. That's a good friend. Someone who gets YOU rather than gets Morrissey.

Yes.

It isn't important to me whether my friends like Morrissey or not. It's honestly not a discussion that ever really comes up. Though sometimes someone will confess that they don't know him or that they don't like his voice. This has never offended me nor have I ever felt the need to convince them otherwise.

What does matter to me is that my friends 'get' my obsession or that they know how important Morrissey has been for me. I am pretty sure they get it. From time to time I will get Moz related gifts of mag articles sent to me. They want to come to a show because they want to experience the euphoria with me. That's a good friend. Someone who gets YOU rather than gets Morrissey.

This :thumb:. It would be nice to have friends who share my obsession, but at the end of the day it's not essential, and I'm pretty sure all my friends accept and understand it. If any of them were to properly get into Morrissey, that would be great, but for now I'm actually ok with going it alone, so to speak. :)

Oh, and talking about concerts . . . I had tickets to two concerts (Jacksonville and Asheville) that got canceled. I had never seen Moz live, so I was devastated when he canceled. My friends were like, oh, that's too bad, but were kind of snickering and calling him a diva, etc. At any rate, I tried my best to find another date on the US tour that would fit in my hectic schedule, to no avail. Then I checked this web site about three weeks ago and saw that he had rescheduled his previous London dates to dates when I was going to be in London. I was virtually orgasmic. But who do you tell??? I managed to get on Ebay and buy some Italian guy's ticket for the stalls at Brixton and now am anxiously awaiting the date. I am going alone to a Morrissey gig in London (not my home town) and am getting shit from my friends as they think I am stupid for going alone. Well, who the hell is going to go with me??? I'm definitely not taking someone who doesn't like Morrissey. They will ruin it for me. I figure I will meet plenty of Moz lovers there and everyting will be fine. Trouble loves me!

Aww bless you,
and YES you will meet some wonderful people there.
(i'll be there :lbf::rolleyes:)

Last edited:
Which date are you going to, Lottie? I have my ticket for the 21st. Oh, I am so excited. Would love to meet some of you Moz maniacs there! Please send me a private message if you are planning on attending 21 July Brixton show. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom