"Morrissey: I couldn't stand simplicity..." new interview with Ricky Lo, The Philippine Star

A Facebook friend who knows my Morrissey obsession forwarded me this article from the current edition of The Philippine Star Online Newspaper.

It's a new email interview with Morrissey in the "Funfare with Ricky Lo" column, promoting Moz's May 13 concert in Manila. A brief, but great, read!

My personal favorite Morrrissey quote from the article:

:rolleyes:

"Morrissey: I couldn't stand simplicity..."

Excellent. Thanks.

P.

tumblr_ll82ioKFiu1qbmlnu.gif

tumblr_m17bpbi7Ao1qi23vmo1_500.gif

yoda.gif

I don't think he thought that one through "i thought people having kids was astounding lack of imagination"... it's the other way around, say for example if oscar wilde's parents 'had a imagination' then oscar wouldn't exist, he wouldn't be there for M to enjoy his imagination, so it's having kids that create "astounding imagination", otherwise there would be no imagination at all.

he said didn't remember ever liking Dusty, i believe i have read interviews where he said he did.

He wasn't saying he didn't like her music, as I read the interview. The interviewer just listed off Dusty S. as one of his role models.Morrissey just corrected him in saying that he didn't view her as such.
Just being a fan of someone's music/art (as he has said in the past that he likes her music) and emulating their style and persona(like he clearly has done with James Dean and Wilde) are two different things.

He wasn't saying he didn't like her music, as I read the interview. The interviewer just listed off Dusty S. as one of his role models.Morrissey just corrected him in saying that he didn't view her as such.
Just being a fan of someone's music/art (as he has said in the past that he likes her music) and emulating their style and persona(like he clearly has done with James Dean and Wilde) are two different things.

Exactly so Giselle. The journalist was specifically asking about role models. Morrissey's never denied being a fan of much of Dusty's art ~

from 'Meetings With Morrissey' by Len Brown ~
5th April 1997; Len: Tell me about Dusty Springfield. You don't often talk about her. Was she important to you?
Moz: "Oh Dusty was incredibly important. I keep saying 'was' as if these people no longer exist but in their heyday...Dusty singing 'The Corrupt Ones' in 1966 or 1967 was thin ice, and there was Dusty skating on it. I think she became known for the bluesy aspect of her singing and became famous in America for that, more so than for the early British singles. She made many great records but I think she seemed to be older than everyone else, more sensible and more liked by the older generation, which wasn't necessarily off-putting but...could be" (Simultaneously raises eyebrows, bites corner of lower lip, pouts, emits a dry titter...I'm guessing! Educatedly.)

~ but the suggestion of Dusty as role model was obviously a bit of a stretch.

Morrissey; Role model ~ Sandie Shaw. Pet Shop Boys; Role model ~ Dusty Springfield. Discuss?

In my mind, milk and associated dairy products are far more vulnerable to the cruelty claim. Is there free range milk? There probably is.

It's bigger than "free range" which in both cases often turns out to be a meaingless tag, where conditions remain cruel.

In both the dairy and egg industries male calves and male chicks are unwanted byproducts. Female cows made pregnant so humans can steal their milk and their male babies are taken from them and killed instantly or become veal. If a female is born then she gets the same miserable life as a perpetually pregnant and milked dairy cow.

As regards why are eggs cruel, "free range" and the vast majority from factory farms both see newly hatched male chicks thrown into a grinder machine or gassed at birth. The females get to live a miserable life as egg layers.

It's bigger than "free range" which in both cases often turns out to be a meaingless tag, where conditions remain cruel.

In both the dairy and egg industries male calves and male chicks are unwanted byproducts. Female cows made pregnant so humans can steal their milk and their male babies are taken from them and killed instantly or become veal. If a female is born then she gets the same miserable life as a perpetually pregnant and milked dairy cow.

As regards why are eggs cruel, "free range" and the vast majority from factory farms both see newly hatched male chicks thrown into a grinder machine or gassed at birth. The females get to live a miserable life as egg layers.

Thanks for the information. I'm intrigued by your last sentence though.

Assuming hens live the life as depicted on the front of carton, is their life that miserable? Wouldn't they be laying eggs regardless given the ideal conditions? I mean it's not as if they are being robbed the opportunity of a life filled with massages and champagne cocktails.

Assuming hens live the life as depicted on the front of carton, is their life that miserable? Wouldn't they be laying eggs regardless given the ideal conditions? I mean it's not as if they are being robbed the opportunity of a life filled with massages and champagne cocktails.

tumblr_m119b2hxVA1qj5pg3o1_500.gif

Attachments

• tumblr_m119b2hxVA1qj5pg3o1_500.gif
    tumblr_m119b2hxVA1qj5pg3o1_500.gif
    459.2 KB · Views: 2
I think he's telling a fib about never having tasted meat though - I'm pretty sure he said in the Smiths years that the only thing he missed about eating meat was bacon sandwiches!

I think you are getting mixed up, this is the interview where he talks about the bacon thing: http://foreverill.com/interviews/1985/murder.htm It's one of my favourite Moz interviews actually, the Smash Hits ones are always good.

I liked that he said he found it hard to give up eggs, nice to know even Moz struggles with adhering to that diet.

Assuming the picture on the front of egg cartons is true is a mistake. I meant "egg layers" as an industrial occupation, humans using that aspect of their nature. As soon as the eggs dry up they get slaughtered as well. Dairy and eggs are the meat industry. Hence the confusion of what vegetarianim actually stands for, hence people like Morrissey giving up eggs.

Morrissey; Role model ~ Sandie Shaw. Pet Shop Boys; Role model ~ Dusty Springfield. Discuss?

I once saw an interview with Sandie Shaw where she referred to Dusty Springfield as "Rusty Springboard". Maybe she's an influence on Morrissey on more than just a musical level.

he said didn't remember ever liking Dusty, i believe i have read interviews where he said he did.

i remember him vaguelx saying he liked dusty but disliked son of a preacher man.

Last edited:
i remember him vaguelx saying he liked dusty but disliked son of a preacher man.

This is true. How stupid of him not to like Dusty In Memphis, one of the best albums ever. Yet despite some comments that would come back to haunt him, like reggae is vile and Diana Ross/Stevie Wonder are awful, he did like soul and Motown such as the Marvelettes so it just seemed contrary to have a pop at the biggest/best artists of the genre for the sake of obscurity, and we also see on Under The Influence that there was some reggae/dub/ska-type tracks. Very strange. I suppose he still hates Kate Bush.

Back
Top Bottom