Morrissey "starved out of existence by X Factor" - new interview

Maurice E

This just in from NME.com!
http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/53393 (oh, and by the way, it's mainly about Dolls and the Kicks!).

Morrissey has hailed a new band, declaring their frontwoman the "the best British singer of recent years".

The former Smiths frontman has lent his support to Brighton-based group Doll & The Kicks, praising lead singer Hannah Scanlon's vocals in particular.

"When I first saw Doll & The Kicks live, I could not, even with the best will in the world, look away," explained Morrissey. "I can't be reasoned with where Hannah is concerned – she is the best British singer of recent years. She will sing an entire song without any breathing lulls, and the boys seal her confidence brilliantly. How they work off each other is the most any group could give; the soft tones as arresting as the muscular tones. They certainly deserve far more serious treatment than they have received."

The singer has invited the new band to support him and expressed his surprise that they remain unsigned.

"The fact that they remain unsigned is bizarre beyond belief, but insofar as I can tell, the entire point of the X Factor culture is to starve genuine music out of existence – whether that be Doll & The Kicks, or, for that matter, me," he noted. "What this means, I think, is that, these days, being blacklisted from the game is a compliment, and you can't continue to pledge allegiance to the world of music if it doesn't pledge allegiance to you."

Reacting to Morrissey's praise, Scanlon told NME she was "honoured".

"How can you not be pleased to hear anyone describe you as such [the best British singer in recent years], let alone have that person be Morrissey, the undisputed Indie King and an awe-inspiring talent right up to this day," she explained. "It's a huge accolade for anyone and I'm truly honoured."

She added that the band, who have been going for about five years, had been introduced to Morrissey through a former manager.

"He just decided to come down and watch us live. We didn't think he would come and we certainly didn't think he would stay, I had heard he quite often leaves in disappointment a few songs into many gigs. But he was still there at the end and had moved to a position in the front," recalled Scanlon. "Then he made a point of talking to each of us individually about the music and what he liked about it; he notices everything in great detail. I remember thinking that he was not at all how I had imagined."

The band, who have a series of dates of their own lined up, including one at London's Hoxton Square Bar & Kitchen tonight (October 13), added that not only had Morrissey surprised them, but his fans had too when they played dates together.

"Morrissey fans are not quite like any other fans you will ever meet," admitted Scanlon. "We were told to brace ourselves for hostility at the worst and indifference at best which is why we were shocked with the warm reaction we were given and the support we still receive to this day. We grew into what we are now on that tour; we sound, play and look like a different band and every gig was intense and utterly exciting."

Last edited:
Fairplay, they are a pretty good band and put a hell of a lot into their live performances. I'd even go and see them without supporting Morrissey.

For me though - this was interesting:

"The singer has invited the new band to support him and expressed his surprise that they remain unsigned."

Now, if that article is correctly dated then that would mean they will be supporting him on a new tour. Or is it lazy journalism? I won't be holding my breath...

Fairplay, they are a pretty good band and put a hell of a lot into their live performances. I'd even go and see them without supporting Morrissey.

For me though - this was interesting:

"The singer has invited the new band to support him and expressed his surprise that they remain unsigned."

Now, if that article is correctly dated then that would mean they will be supporting him on a new tour. Or is it lazy journalism? I won't be holding my breath...

perhaps that just means he's invited them in the past but let's hope it's for the Christmas Bona Drag tour!

This sounds like it was old quotes and they (NME) dug it up to do a new piece for the Doll and Kicks upcoming show. Or I could be completely wrong.

I'm certain you are right, it is just wrongly worded.

Instead of saying: "The singer has invited the new band to support him and expressed his surprise that they remain unsigned."

It should be worded: "The singer invited the band to support him on his previous tour...", or even better: "The band supported Morrissey on his recent tour..."

Journalists are gash.

I'm certain you are right, it is just wrongly worded.

Instead of saying: "The singer has invited the new band to support him and expressed his surprise that they remain unsigned."

It should be worded: "The singer invited the band to support him on his previous tour...", or even better: "The band supported Morrissey on his recent tour..."

Journalists are gash.

it is the NME, what do you expect

Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow in Bristol of all places!

This ham piece of journalism is bringing out the kicks on the front page even more than usual. Is it just one or two Moz jihadists fuelling the insanity, whose IP addresses would show? DATK put on a very good show, regardless of the prevailing odd fuss.

Back
Top Bottom