Morrissey - The Pageant Of His Bleeding Heart

Yesterday, feeling sheepish about having argued in generalities against a book I hadn't read, I went out and bought it. Hopps has written a critical study of Morrissey that is not only the best in class, it's so damn good it deserves to be called the first, the only one of its kind. In a rare moment of immodesty, Hopps ends with the claim that future studies of Morrissey should begin where his ends, as if he has at last laid the foundations for solid criticism of Morrissey. He's right. In 1995, Morrissey sighed and told Will Self, "I wish somebody would get it right. I don't mind if they hate me as long as they get it right". The best compliment I can pay to Hopps is to say he made Morrissey's wish come true. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Of my own wariness of the book I can only say that the source of my apprehension was also one for Hopps, as well. A running theme in the book is Hopps' exasperation over the "literal", "essentialist", and "proprietorial blokeishness" of interpretations by critics like Rogan, Goddard, Simpson, Bret, Bracewell, and others. An obvious ambition of the book is to rescue Morrissey from the bad criticism that has until now plagued him, and my sin was to assume Hopps was merely one more conscript into this army of the obtuse. You can't blame me. It's been going on since 1983. Hopps might well have rolled his eyes, as I did, at the news that a book called "The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart" was coming out. Do we need another book telling us "The Lazy Sunbathers" is like "Everyday Is Like Sunday" because they both mention bombs?

I have to say my whole reason for ignoring Amazon.com's pleas for me to buy this book ever since it came out was exactly this - the shallow, fanboy-ish sounding title turned me off and I didn't bother to look into it further. :blushing:

So thanks to Qvist's and Worm's reviews (mainly these two paragraphs) I stopped on the way home to buy it and can hardly put it down. This kind of rigorous analysis is a credit to Morrissey and it's what his work deserves, whether you agree with the author's conclusions or not.

I have to say my whole reason for ignoring Amazon.com's pleas for me to buy this book ever since it came out was exactly this - the shallow, fanboy-ish sounding title turned me off and I didn't bother to look into it further. :blushing:

So thanks to Qvist's and Worm's reviews (mainly these two paragraphs) I stopped on the way home to buy it and can hardly put it down. This kind of rigorous analysis is a credit to Morrissey and it's what his work deserves, whether you agree with the author's conclusions or not.

Thanks for sharing this - I've been following this thread, trying to decide if the book was worth reading, since I had many of the same concerns you did. But you, Qvist and Worm have convinced me! Hopefully discussion will continue on this thread - I'd like to read the book and then see fans' analysis of the analysis!

Worm,

Some further comments. First of all, I'm glad you liked it (as I suspected you would, in the end.). Secondly, there isn't much to disagree with or embroider upon in your comments, who are clearly marked by a very considerable capacity for reflection around Morrissey's work - the kind of commentary you provide to the book directly upon having read it, apparently in a single sitting, speaks for itself in that regard. You know, you really should write a book or something. :)

First, I found Hopps' careful re-calibration of the notion of camp to be a wonderful insight into Morrissey's work. Many commentaries had described Morrissey's work as 'campy' but only in the more popular sense of "queer extravagance". This is a lazy definition of camp to which too many people have succumbed with respect to Morrissey-- myself included-- and Hopps takes a few pages to explain that camp has a broader, less queer-fixated meaning.

Absolutely right. I'm sorry, I did a poor job of transmitting that in what I wrote (in the paragraph on "lightness"). I may have taken too much for granted in that respect, because I've long been accustomed to thinking about camp aesthetics in that way. A bit off on a tangent, it seemed to be in the Oslo Zeitgeist 15-20 years ago. I was lucky enough to have friends who had discovered the point of watching Ed Wood movies, and we'd get out my dad's old sixties easy listening records for a lark. There was one called "With Love From Paris", on which some German orchestra offered flamboyantly over-emotional renditions of french chansons (one particularly remembers a version of "Milord" featuring a whole battery of electric violins on full reverb) - which I suppose taught me that it's possible to learn to deeply love music that doesn't even remotely attempt to be serious (or which tries, but fails to be, it really doesn't matter) it was a whole new kind of aesthetics to me, and one that ultimately and crucially went beyond merely ironic gestures. Then a couple of years later, in the early/mid nineties, the same thing was reverberating through academia, with Wilde's "The decay of lying" suddenly drawing considerable attention, emphasis placed on the more playful aspects of Nietzsche's writing and the connection between the sort of epistemology implied by Wilde and the often ambivalent character of the Nietzschean aphorism, and so on and so on. Then arrived a fairly widely read study by sociologist Kjetil Rolness, called "Vulgar and wonderful. A study in exquisitely bad taste". What Rolness offered was not just a broad and deep tour around the landscape of camp, from Wilde and Beau Brummel to Marc Bolan, Zsa Zsa Gabor to contemporary movie turkeys, Liberace to El Vez, Disco to Prince, but also the firm anchoring of this aesthetics in a mode of approach much like Hopps': Seeing it as a way to produce meaning rather than silly antics suffering from a deficiency of seriousness, and, without downplaying its historically strong role in gay culture, bringing it out as something with a much wider significance - as a way to approach life and (broadly speaking) art. And, among those treated there at some length was Morrissey. I'll see if I can do a translation some time.

Anyway, the point, as you rightly point out, is that if you absorb the notion of camp aesthetics in the sense offered by Hopps (or for that matter by Rolness or f.e. Susan Sontag), it opens up a crucial interpretative perspective on Morrissey's work, and one which allows you to access parts of it that are simply closed or more or less senseless to a literalist reading. The predominance of the latter may not be entirely a matter of chance. You could argue that rock journalism is very much a bastion of dedication to "seriousness", "earnestness" and their much-maligned cousin "street cred", as well as a certain unspoken laddish machismo that often extends (as a value judgment) well into the ranks of women of good musical taste. You say what you mean and you are what you say. As if everybody needed to be like Neil Young or Bruce Springsteen. "Bleeding Heart sure, but no Pageant please." :)

This is, in my opinion, at the very core not just of the interpretation of Morrissey's work, but also of the direct, personal enjoyment of his music. There is such a sense of primal joy in encountering music that relentlessly depicts the world and being as a places of consummate suffering, and then within the same sentence is flippant about it - and in such a way that you don't doubt either the sincerity of the former nor the courageous and life-affirming strength of the latter. Which is why I've always felt that those who use expressions like "the pope of mope" must be missing out on the better part of the experience.

The second major contribution, in my opinion, is the chapter on the religious (or the spiritual) in Morrissey's songs. Running with Morrissey's statement that "all" of his songs reflect his Catholic upbringing, Hopps lays out a compelling argument for the existence of a genuine, if vexed and often ambivalent, spirituality in Morrissey's music. He mentions Wendy Fonarow's book "Empire of Dirt" in a footnote (the footnotes, by the way, are incredibly fertile ground to explore), quoting her contention that "the core issues of indie music and its practices are in essence the arguments of a particular sect of Protestant reformers within the secular form of music". One instantly thinks of U2, but Hopps makes a case that Morrissey also offers a complex, difficult, and deeply committed version of Christian, agape love and, furthermore, in his art, casts himself in the role of a prophet, holy fool, or even a Christlike figure. These claims may seem grandiose or factitious, but Hopps makes a lot of sense, though he somehow missed mentioning that Smiths fans had been dubbed "apostles", and he repeatedly concedes that Morrissey's position is anything but clear and obvious. I bought it as a fascinating, if tentative, proposition about Morrissey which would reward further inquiry.

I was more sceptical of this part of the analysis, in part because I think Hopps overreaches in his arguments (for instance, there are many ways in which Morrissey's catholic upbringing might have influenced all of his work without that neccessarily implying any notion of some sort of religiousness in his work - while Hopps uses that quote as a direct, unproblematic argument in favor of such a presence). I've read at least one interview where Morrissey was asked point-blank whether he believed in some sort of divine being (in essence, whether he could call himself at least an agnostic), which he answered in the negative in the clearest possible terms. Of course, that amounts to going biography-hunting again and taking interview comments as direct authoratative clarifications of meaning, but then, so does Hopps' use of the quote about his catholic upbringing. To the extent that Hopps' analysis works in this chapter, it is in my opinion where he disregards the whole issue of intentionality - and I would suggest that any useful discussion of this aspect of his work would do well to do the same.

That being said, I reached the same conclusion as you. Whatever one thinks of Hopps' analysis here, it clearly points towards things worth exploring further. There were three aspects here which particularly caught my interest.

One was the notion of agape as an aspect in his work, which seems to me to tie up something important that is otherwise not so easily accounted for or described. I suppose one could also call it "altruism", except that this has connotations to a kind of general affability that collides spectacularly with his equally pronounced combativeness. There is a general quality of empathy and a sort of abundant, generalised and overflowing (if only because of the lack of outlets?) love that runs like a red thread through his lyrics, from the beginning to the present. A capacity for and will to acceptance. It seems important.

The second was the presence of hope as something that is frequently suggested to be somehow outside or beyond the mundane - a key element, I think, in Morrissey's defiance. Which, like the lightness of his work, is an essential accompaniment to the darkness and gloom.

....cont.

Last edited:
The third is what one might call his assuming of a christ-like posture, which I find impossible to ignore though I am hard pressed to describe or define it adequately, perhaps because it is only semi-conscious on both sides of the fence. And which is highly complex because it is something that exists not merely in his lyrics and consciously shaped persona, but perhaps more than anywhere else in the relation between that and his fans. I suspect his concert shirt-removing gesture in the last verse of "Let Me Kiss You" and the response of the crowd to it might yield things of interest with regard to this. That is a gesture so suffused with ambivalent meaning that you could probably write a whole book just about that.

"And then you open your eyes/and you see someone you physically despise", he sings, and then rips open his shirt to bare his torso at the audience, who responds with a cry of jubilation. Then follow the lines we all know will come: "But my heart is open/My heart is open/ To you (my emphasis)", after which he turns on his heel without the merest shadow of a smile or any sort of acknowledgment of the crowd's response, and walks off stage. (This is at least how it happened in Prague).

So. What is the meaning of exposing himself simultaneously with describing himself as "someone you physically despise"? To what he knows very well will be an explosion of cheers from the audience? How is that significance affected by his following assertion that his heart is open "to you"? Who is "You"? The crowd? Me personally and specifically? The character the song is addressed to? The world in general? What is the significance of not acknowledging the crowd's response? Of walking off the stage? And on the other side of the fence, why are we cheering, and what is it exactly that we are cheering? Because he's baring his chest? Because he's declaring himself to be someone we physically despise? Because of the combination, the intimacy of the gesture? Because of the lines we know will follow? Who then do we experience the "you" of the lyric as? And why is it so wonderfully all right that he doesn't acknowledge our response and just walks off stage? Is it sympathy that is being elicited, and offered? Attraction? Some sort of weird communion, the celebration of a common experience of self? A sacrifice of suffering by proxy, made by him and acknowledged by us? Declaration and recognition, a ritual re-enactment of the fact that he's a particular kind of artist with a particular kind of message, and we're his fans and know the message, whatever that message may be? Several of these things, or all of them? Different things to different people?

Well, that'll have to do for now.

cheers

You know, you really should write a book or something. :)

Thanks. I guess I was in a mood for Morrissey-chat.

A bit off on a tangent, it seemed to be in the Oslo Zeitgeist 15-20 years ago. I was lucky enough to have friends who had discovered the point of watching Ed Wood movies, and we'd get out my dad's old sixties easy listening records for a lark. There was one called "With Love From Paris", on which some German orchestra offered flamboyantly over-emotional renditions of french chansons (one particularly remembers a version of "Milord" featuring a whole battery of electric violins on full reverb) - which I suppose taught me that it's possible to learn to deeply love music that doesn't even remotely attempt to be serious (or which tries, but fails to be, it really doesn't matter) it was a whole new kind of aesthetics to me, and one that ultimately and crucially went beyond merely ironic gestures. Then a couple of years later, in the early/mid nineties, the same thing was reverberating through academia, with Wilde's "The decay of lying" suddenly drawing considerable attention, emphasis placed on the more playful aspects of Nietzsche's writing and the connection between the sort of epistemology implied by Wilde and the often ambivalent character of the Nietzschean aphorism, and so on and so on. Then arrived a fairly widely read study by sociologist Kjetil Rolness, called "Vulgar and wonderful. A study in exquisitely bad taste". What Rolness offered was not just a broad and deep tour around the landscape of camp, from Wilde and Beau Brummel to Marc Bolan, Zsa Zsa Gabor to contemporary movie turkeys, Liberace to El Vez, Disco to Prince, but also the firm anchoring of this aesthetics in a mode of approach much like Hopps': Seeing it as a way to produce meaning rather than silly antics suffering from a deficiency of seriousness, and, without downplaying its historically strong role in gay culture, bringing it out as something with a much wider significance - as a way to approach life and (broadly speaking) art. And, among those treated there at some length was Morrissey. I'll see if I can do a translation some time.

Not a tangent at all. Very interesting account of your acquaintance with camp and with the history of ideas.

Given your experiences, and given my own, I'm not surprised that the section on camp was eye-opening for one of us and not the other. My early burglary years were spent in a city without culture-- not merely a distant suburb, but a distant American suburb-- and camp arrived in my life unannounced, unnamed, and only dimly understood for a long time. I was almost totally at sea when it came to Morrissey's songs, yet I loved the camp elements of his work right away without knowing it. Hopps' explanation helps me grasp in clear terms what those elements are and how they work. Of course, even without Hopps I understood it instinctively, probably much as you did. You were elequent in describing how Morrissey sings "in such a way that you don't doubt either the sincerity of the former nor the courageous and life-affirming strength of the latter". That was the source of my appreciation, too, the mixture of flippancy and seriousness. Even though I prefer the line as it is, I always liked to flip Morrissey's line in "I Want The One I Can't Have" so that he loves life and death, and equally. I believe this is a perspective it's possible to extract gently from Wilde and easy to grab with both hands from Nietzsche; the latter, after all, insisted on "killing the spirit of gravity".

As you probably know Nietzsche pretty well, you probably liked, as I did, the footnote in which Hopps quoted Zizek on amor fati, who in turn was citing one of Nietzsche's great ideas, an offshoot of the eternal recurrence. For all of his dissatisfaction and nonbelonging, Morrissey is also a great accepter of his own fate. What's amazing is that he communicates this in his music without philosophizing as such. It's also the reason why his survival this far into his life, without offing himself, represents a triumph in itself above and beyond his art. His surivival, and now (if we are to believe some of his recent hints) relative happiness, is indeed a "living sign" of the importance of accepting things as they are and persisting through everything. The irony of Hopps' study is its irrelevance (as I argued earlier, but in a negative way): you could actually figure out the concept of amor fati from Morrissey's songs and know nothing of Nietzsche, which is pretty amazing.

You could argue that rock journalism is very much a bastion of dedication to "seriousness", "earnestness" and their much-maligned cousin "street cred", as well as a certain unspoken laddish machismo that often extends (as a value judgment) well into the ranks of women of good musical taste. You say what you mean and you are what you say. As if everybody needed to be like Neil Young or Bruce Springsteen. "Bleeding Heart sure, but no Pageant please." :)

You're right. Here's a fascinating angle in Hopps' book which bears on this: although Morrissey does not show the same "earnestness" and "sincerity" as the traditional rock bands-- and, as we know, was never taken as seriously as the U2s of the world, at least in the mainstream press-- what Hopps shows is that Morrissey's words and singing style contribute to the illusion of presence on the records. Perhaps this is the crucial but invisible element in the equation? Morrissey might be shifty, elusive, and too playful to pin down, but unlike the majority of pop singers he seems to be right there with you, "in the corner of your room". You could argue that while other singers "bear their souls" they remain distant, while Morrissey's persona may be coy and inscrutable yet also projects unmediated closeness, "primal joy" as you put it. I actually think it's a subject Hopps didn't go into enough.

I was more sceptical of this part of the analysis, in part because I think Hopps overreaches in his arguments (for instance, there are many ways in which Morrissey's catholic upbringing might have influenced all of his work without that neccessarily implying any notion of some sort of religiousness in his work - while Hopps uses that quote as a direct, unproblematic argument in favor of such a presence).

Well, as I read it, Hopps' final take on the subject was that Morrissey had a negative comportment toward God, but the point was that it was a comportment toward God, and not away from him. It's a position rather like Job's, which Hopps mentions. There's an essential connection underneath the complicated layers of anger, ostensible unbelief, and so forth. Last August James Wood wrote an essay in The New Yorker about Terry Eagleton and some of the "new atheists" like Dawkins and Hitchens. It was a book review, but as with most of Wood's stuff it turned into more. He suggested one possible stance to take is atheism as "disappointed belief" in God, and while he intended it as a firmly atheistic idea, I think you can make a case that one could adopt the same position and yet be oriented on the side of belief-- just on the other side, perhaps. I think this might be Morrissey's position.

In any event I agree that his belief or non-belief is beside the point. There are discernible signs of some sort of spirituality in his work, or (at the very least) certain traces of an ethical system not too far removed from genuine Christianity.

There is a general quality of empathy and a sort of abundant, generalised and overflowing (if only because of the lack of outlets?) love that runs like a red thread through his lyrics, from the beginning to the present.

Absolutely, yes. And did you tie together the notion of camp-- one of the key characteristics being excess-- to his fierce defense of animal rights? Yes, of all his beliefs, his hatred of animal cruelty and meat-eating is his most dearly and tightly held. It's as far from a "pose" as it gets. But when you apply Hopps' analysis to some of the statements he's made, in songs and in the press (think about his comments comparing the slaughter of chickens to the Holocaust), it's kind of fascinating to wonder how much "camp" sneaks in, consciously or not.

The second was the presence of hope as something that is frequently suggested to be somehow outside or beyond the mundane - a key element, I think, in Morrissey's defiance. Which, like the lightness of his work, is an essential accompaniment to the darkness and gloom.

Yes, I also agree this is very important. I think by destabilizing categories of social and sexual identities the way he does (as Hopps explains), Morrissey offers hope inasmuch as a lot of what makes us miserable can simply be redefined or thrown out altogether. Suddenly the world seems less fixed, more possibilities open up.

The third is what one might call his assuming of a christ-like posture, which I find impossible to ignore though I am hard pressed to describe or define it adequately, perhaps because it is only semi-conscious on both sides of the fence. And which is highly complex because it is something that exists not merely in his lyrics and consciously shaped persona, but perhaps more than anywhere else in the relation between that and his fans. I suspect his concert shirt-removing gesture in the last verse of "Let Me Kiss You" and the response of the crowd to it might yield things of interest with regard to this. That is a gesture so suffused with ambivalent meaning that you could probably write a whole book just about that.

Yes. As I wrote above, I think Hopps left a thread dangling in the book, which is the physicality of Morrissey as a performer, the illusion of his unmediated presence (i.e. it's a "pageant" and a "bleeding heart" at the same time). He sets it up really well but doesn't follow it as closely as I'd like. Other writers have long ago commented on Morrissey's physicality-- Will Self and Simon Reynolds come to mind, but you can also see it in Simpson's hagiography. Hopps talks about it in many scattered places, such as comparing Morrissey's "heart on a string" in Rome to Christ's sacred heart. I take Hopps' point to be not that Morrissey is "Christlike", merely that his relationship to his fans is one that has the same dynamic as Christ's to his apostles ("I will be with you always, even unto the end of the world"). I think this has major implications with regard to Morrissey's postmodernity-- in an age signaled by "the death of the author" does he not remain, somehow, the author par excellence?-- but I don't exactly know what they are.

I think the main point is that you don't have to get into the question of (a) whether or not Morrissey believes in God or (b) whether or not his music is "officially" Christian in any way shape or form. It's enough to identify whatever's going on that, for lack of anything better, only a religious model can shed light on.

"And then you open your eyes/and you see someone you physically despise", he sings, and then rips open his shirt to bare his torso at the audience, who responds with a cry of jubilation. Then follow the lines we all know will come: "But my heart is open/My heart is open/ To you (my emphasis)", after which he turns on his heel without the merest shadow of a smile or any sort of acknowledgment of the crowd's response, and walks off stage. (This is at least how it happened in Prague).

So. What is the meaning of exposing himself simultaneously with describing himself as "someone you physically despise"? To what he knows very well will be an explosion of cheers from the audience? How is that significance affected by his following assertion that his heart is open "to you"? Who is "You"? The crowd? Me personally and specifically? The character the song is addressed to? The world in general? What is the significance of not acknowledging the crowd's response? Of walking off the stage? And on the other side of the fence, why are we cheering, and what is it exactly that we are cheering? Because he's baring his chest? Because he's declaring himself to be someone we physically despise? Because of the combination, the intimacy of the gesture? Because of the lines we know will follow? Who then do we experience the "you" of the lyric as? And why is it so wonderfully all right that he doesn't acknowledge our response and just walks off stage? Is it sympathy that is being elicited, and offered? Attraction? Some sort of weird communion, the celebration of a common experience of self? A sacrifice of suffering by proxy, made by him and acknowledged by us? Declaration and recognition, a ritual re-enactment of the fact that he's a particular kind of artist with a particular kind of message, and we're his fans and know the message, whatever that message may be? Several of these things, or all of them? Different things to different people?

:lbf:

I think you've done a fabulous job putting in words the questions all of us ask at one time or another. The questions can go on forever, can't they? (And forgive me for not answering them...I assume they are pointedly rhetorical in nature.)

To continue what I said above, I think your amusing paragraph of questions illustrates what I meant above. Here you have a man, and a set of gestures, and a work of art, "Let Me Kiss You", all of which contribute (as Hopps says) to a "thoroughly postmodern" presentation. There's no question about it. Nothing makes sense, but everything does. It's all surface, it's all play, it can mean everything and it can mean nothing. But how is this different than a similar, only even more pronounced, postmodern performer like (forgive me) Lady GaGa? Because something else guarantees, if you will, an answer to the dozens of questions one can have about Morrissey, something she lacks. You don't know what it is, you're just sure that this terrible itch you've got (in his preface Hopps describes his book as having come from an "itch") has a source and a meaning that you might possibly discover. To me this is the essence of Catholic devotion as opposed to that of other religions: "contact" with Christ himself-- the body of Christ, the incarnated God, the divine mingled with the flesh-- is the promise that eventually our questions will have answers even if none are provided here and now.

Once again, let me say I'm not arguing that Morrissey is God or something ludicrous like that. Idolatry isn't a problem in my world. I'm just saying-- as Hopps seems to be saying in his book-- that Morrissey could have absorbed something from his Catholic upbringing which has made its way into his art and his public persona (which are more or less identical). I don't think this connection has been missed over the years. I can recall a few writers who touch on it (Reynolds has a piece somewhere that talks about how Smiths fans require not just the music but the singer's body). But nobody has yet touched on it after arguing first, at a length of 250 pages, that Morrissey was also a figure colored by camp/postmodernism/deconstructive tendencies whose work is marked by spectrality paradoxically suffused with presence. "Spectrality paradoxically suffused with presence" would seem to constitute an exact analog to Christianity.

Last edited:
Before I read back on most recent comments, which I'll do anon, here's my round-up from a perusal of the book.

Here’s a book that lets us off the hook. The media will lampoon and the trolls ululate, but Gavin Hopps has sketched the measure of our man in ‘The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart’. In the comings and goings of Morrissey’s world, the author has managed to articulate the ‘unspeakable’, armed with an extensive vocabulary, a love and mastery of his material and a skill for an innovative turn of phrase.

Unawares, a recent excavation of Wilde’s ideas, which appear regularly throughout, proved for me to be an ideal preparation for reading this book. As a physical object, in its binding and cover design, it is a little work of art, worthy both externally and internally of its subject. Hopps draws from many sources, and essentially, to use a Ken Wilber phrase, ‘embraces and transcends’ all previous speculations on the singer, while adding much rich intelligent commentary. Keep a good dictionary to hand on approaching it!

Here’s the keynote theme: “What makes his [Morrissey’s] work so extraordinary, though, is the way he seeks out and heroically holds himself in embarrassing situations – suffering as it were sacrificially in front of us on behalf of humanity. ‘Ecce Homo’, his characteristic posture suggests.” (p. 5) (I stood under that arch on the Via Dolorosa in Jerusalem in 2008. You can see it at this link - http://www.sacred-destinations.com/israel/jerusalem-via-dolorosa - Just west of the entrance to the Lithostratos is the Ecce Homo Arch, where Pilate identified Jesus to the crowd saying "Ecco homo" ("Behold the man" - Jn 19:5). The arch is part of a gate dating from Emperor Hadrian's time and was given its present name in the 16th century.)

“For it was in the midst of this fantasy world of hedonism, glamour, flamboyance and plenty, which was covertly shored up by the cynicism that unmasked it, that The Smiths emitted what Morrissey described as ‘a complete cry in every direction’ (p.45) Their cry was not to buy into the misleading illusion.

“…there was always something playful and arch about Morrissey, and he still reaches towards us with heartfelt urgency and ‘outstretched voice’.” (p. 58) ; the implication being that he is still finishing what he started.

When discussing the camp qualities of the album ‘Kill Uncle’, Hopps suggests that camp is like deconstruction – “which takes place discreetly within a system and on its own terms, like a parasite or virus, showing how they can mean ‘more, less, or something other than’ what their author intended them to mean, and which does not annihilate the system or context it speaks within, but effects a trembling ‘which nothing can calm’ that spreads throughout the entire inherited order.” (p. 113) Camp is one tool that allows Morrissey to keep toppling hyped values projected from elsewhere.

Hopps identifies in him “a subversive desire to force ‘high art’ to make room for the ‘lowly’, and a determination – however bleak and incongruous the result – faithfully to represent contemporary reality” (p. 118). This sets him apart from most of Oscar Wilde’s philosophy. Also, “…in spite of the sense of pathos and privation that pervades his lyrics, they are filled with moments in which everyday things and experiences are affectionately preserved, and elevated by their preservation; moments which, if they are not epiphanies, nonetheless allow such phenomena to ‘put off’ their ephemerality and exceed their commonplace appearances in the direction of an epiphany” (p. 119). We can only concur with this well-coined observation.

Morrissey’s various acts of clumsy social nakedness on stage constitute, says the author, “such impropriety [that] may in fact be a fidelity to a more fundamental set of principles, from whose point of view the conventions of polite society are themselves a transgression” (p. 125) Difference is what is championed, not normalcy.

In trying to understand why Morrissey beats around the bush so much in his lyrics, Hopps guesses, “that there is something at stake which is kept secret out of self-protection, in the face of hostile forces from without, or which cannot be told because it is of its very nature in some sense ineffable – which is to say, incommensurate with the available categories – and would be falsified by the telling” (p. 135). Hopps would make a sympathetic assistant for a mute witness!

Of Morrissey’s fondness for playful double entendres, Hopps proposes that ‘its appeal might also lie in the fact that innuendo is the mirror image of hypocrisy – a vice for which the singer has a particular dislike – in that it intimates behind all fine appearances an ‘embarrassing brotherhood’ in corporeality…is reflexive and, like carnival laughter, includes those who are doing the laughing” (p. 142).

Morrissey hawks “an art of refusal, which characteristically entails a withholding of consent, a nonparticipation, an abandonment of conventions, and an obstinate no-saying. However, another way of refusing alternatives is by saying yes to all of them” (p. 156). In either case, he personally holds onto a sovereign freedom of response to whatever life throws at him.

After expressing awe at Morrissey’s ability to “stage a romantic epiphany within the parameters of a three-minute pop song”, which is contrasted with his miserable stereotype, Hopps quips, “to avoid any further damage to his reputation, let us turn to our ‘etcetera’ of excessive darkness”! (p.160).
...t.b.c.

...Continued

“What makes such ‘meaning’ [of his work] – which constitutes his persona – all the more elusive, however, is the fact that there is no site of authority” (p. 168). He floats in the spaces, mere being untethered, and confronts the ubiquitous “darkness that laps at the edges of Morrissey’s vision in so many of his songs, whose ingress is registered by the half-inarticulate cries of ‘no’ that recurrently erupt in their crevices…” (p. 176).

There is presence and intimacy in the songs, “communion which is vitally uplifting. There is a dark equivalent of this, however – a presentness of suffering that involves us in its agonies” (p. 181). It’s ok, though, because, as Oscar Wilde taught in ‘The Critic as Artist, unlike reality, “Art does not hurt us. The tears that we shed at a play are a type of the exquisite sterile emotions that it is the function of Art to awaken. We weep, but we are not wounded. We grieve, but our grief is not bitter. In the actual life of man, sorrow, as Spinoza says somewhere, is a passage to alesser perfection. But the sorrow with which Art fills us both purifies and initiates, if I may quote once more from the great art critic of the Greeks. It is through Art, and through Art only, that we can realise our perfection; through Art, and through Art only, that we can shield ourselves from the sordid perils of actual existence. This results not merely from the fact that nothing that one can imagine is worth doing, and that one can imagine everything, but from the subtle law that emotional forces, like the forces of the physical sphere, are limited in extent and energy. One can feel so much, and no more. And how can it matter with what pleasure life tries to tempt one, or with what pain it seeks to maim and mar one's soul, if in the spectacle of the lives of those who have never existed one has found the true secret of joy, and wept away one's tears over their deaths who, like Cordelia and the daughter of Brabantio, can never die?" (This isn't quoted in the book, btw)

Another darkness in Morrissey’s work “appears to be omnipresent and is inebriate with destruction” – human evil (p. 211). This has landed him in trouble a few times but, well, show him a barrel! He doesn’t look away from anything, but calls them out for inspection. Tough as old boots, in spirit, is Moz! The opposite, turning away, is immoral to him, and is what most other pop-stars did, and still do – “tweeification of the real” (p. 215).

Speaking of Morrissey’s animal rights activism, Hopps compares it to “the ‘embarrassing’ sympathy with other creatures exhibited by one of the most famous holy fools of all: Saint Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of animals and the environment” (p. 249) This is one of just two references on this topic, but it’s good enough.

The place for love in the bleeding heart is not conspicuous, but “the difficulties the singer has saying the word ‘love’ would seem to be a sign of its all-surpassing importance, and its stammering, travestying and quotation-marked usage appears to be an attempt to redeem its value, by gesturing towards the corruption of its signifier…” (p. 253). Sometimes what’s not said is the priority, and for him “hope is something that springs up almost miraculously – which is to say, unforeseen and excessively – paradoxically, after the loss of hope” (p.263). Perhaps there is a heaven after all, is the notion that against the odds he seems to be asking us to imagine.

Split and multiple selves and voices; the all-inclusive social embrace; the complementary musicality; and many other issues are also comprehensively and aptly explored.

Withering comments on the ‘blokeish’ pack who’ve written about Morrissey before are entertaining, as is his poke at Mark Simpson for surfacing occasionally with a relevant point on the artist when he can distract himself from self-preening!

Hopps claims (p. 21) that Morrissey uses melisma (the singing of multiple notes to a single syllable of text) for conscious effects which may well be true, though the possibility exists that exposure to traditional Irish folksong may have naturally predisposed him to this. Likewise with the ”odd locution” in the line ‘for haven’t you me with you now?’ in ‘America is Not the World’, I think that the sentence construction could be instinctively Irish (p. 78).

“Indeed, the singer’s habit of delicately throwing daffodils, gladioli and tulips into the audience may be seen as a brilliant camp parody of the spitting and beer-can throwing interactions and a characteristic turning of conventional pop-star transgression on its head”. (p. 21) If this still holds, then his abandoning the stage in Liverpool makes sense. :D

For expert treatment worthy of Morrissey, and a nourishing substantial reading session, there’s no better than The Pageant of His Bleeding Heart.

Ah, yet another glowing testimonial appears. It seems Hopps is developing a fan club. I doubt very much this fan club will make him enough money to pay his electric bill this month, but it's nice all the same. :rolleyes:

Excellent review, goinghome. Why am I not surprised that you greatly enjoyed Hopps' discussion of Morrissey and Oscar Wilde? What about Beckett?

The only quibble I have with your fine review is that the book doesn't let us off the hook. It puts us directly on the hook. People will have to reckon with some of the ideas in this book from now on when they speak of Morrissey. Well, I mean, except for fans who just enjoy the music and don't care to know melisma from molasses. Their reactions are just as valid. But for those who want to try and reflect more specifically on what Morrissey's art is made of, I think Hopps has laid a solid foundation.

You picked a great long passage from "The Critic As Artist" to quote from, but, based on my own reading of Wilde, I have to add that the passage should be reconsidered in light of "De Profundis": Wilde would have endorsed his earlier criticism even after prison, but I think he would have added to it, or slightly altered and expanded it, to allow for suffering as more than merely one of several kinds of artistic affect which contribute to one's self-realization. The paradox with Wilde is that "art for art's sake" leads back around to something similar to the Romantic ideal-- though he is not a Romantic-- and I think Hopps has at least opened the door to the idea that Morrissey has accomplished the same trick in his music.

Ah, yet another glowing testimonial appears. It seems Hopps is developing a fan club. I doubt very much this fan club will make him enough money to pay his electric bill this month, but it's nice all the same. :rolleyes:

Excellent review, goinghome. Why am I not surprised that you greatly enjoyed Hopps' discussion of Morrissey and Oscar Wilde? What about Beckett?

The only quibble I have with your fine review is that the book doesn't let us off the hook. It puts us directly on the hook. People will have to reckon with some of the ideas in this book from now on when they speak of Morrissey. Well, I mean, except for fans who just enjoy the music and don't care to know melisma from molasses. Their reactions are just as valid. But for those who want to try and reflect more specifically on what Morrissey's art is made of, I think Hopps has laid a solid foundation.

You picked a great long passage from "The Critic As Artist" to quote from, but, based on my own reading of Wilde, I have to add that the passage should be reconsidered in light of "De Profundis": Wilde would have endorsed his earlier criticism even after prison, but I think he would have added to it, or slightly altered and expanded it, to allow for suffering as more than merely one of several kinds of artistic affect which contribute to one's self-realization. The paradox with Wilde is that "art for art's sake" leads back around to something similar to the Romantic ideal-- though he is not a Romantic-- and I think Hopps has at least opened the door to the idea that Morrissey has accomplished the same trick in his music.

Thanks, Worm!

Yes, a solid foundation has been laid and a steady flow from the same mould can be expected in coming years.

You'll see on the Oscar Wilde/Morrissey thread, the words from The Soul of Man Under Socialism, on a competition T-shirt: "Disobedience, in the eyes of any one who has read history, is man's original virtue. It is through disobedience that progress has been made, through disobedience and through rebellion." Wilde is saying that only an insane man would not resist the conditions of poverty and oppression, which charity doesn't cure, but socialism, without intrusive compulsion, that fosters individualism, would. I still think he's right: this form of socialism hasn't ever been tried. What it shows is the out-reach of his love, and his dissatisfaction with the sorrow of his fellow-men. Salome exudes that ominous darkness that Hopps felt is conveyed in Morrissey's songs while including the voice from the wilderness...

Again on that thread, I quoted relevant pieces from De Profundis that express Wilde's awareness of the risks of "feasting with panthers" and how the dangers only heightened his pleasure. He was looking for experience. It's also recorded that Wilde and some within his upper-class social group started examining how to bring about homosexual-law reform, and their commitment to "The Cause" was formalised by the founding of a highly secretive organisation called the Order of Chaeronea, of which he was a member. (The Cause, words in Rubber Ring...) He was far from naive. Signing off at the end of the full letter from prison, he wrote to Bosie, "You came to me to learn the Pleasure of Life and the Pleasure of Art. Perhaps I am chosen to teach you something much more wonderful, the meaning of Sorrow and its beauty". Bosie had of course plunged Wilde into inconceivable loss through his imprisonment, and was the teacher, effectively, in this case. Poor Oscar was trying to make sense of it all, oscillating between bitterness, blame, acceptance. I think he was a Romantic, but also a materialist or whatever is the opposite. Like Morrissey, both and neither this or that. He let himself be chosen in all his dazzling high favour, not fully consciously but obligingly enough, for a cause still being fought. I think you mentioned already that Morrissey adamantly wanted to have his public platform, to gather in the outsiders, and more.

I do recognise a resemblance to Samuel Beckett in some of Morrissey's work. In fact when he played in the Olympia in Dublin April 2006, earlier that day I attended Endgame in the Gate Theatre! "Nothing is more funny than unhappiness!" Still there's plenty of it about, bidden or otherwise, and in between, as Morrissey counsels, "no darkness". :)

So, what's your book going to be about, Worm?! :rock:

Can you say it about Morrissey's entire career, though? When reflecting on Reynolds' formulation-- which Hopps seems to endorse completely-- it is a vital point to notice that you can only be a heroic party-pooper if you actually make it into the party in the first place. You have to get on Top Of The Pops before you can stick a shrub in the back pocket of your tattered Levi's and sport a hearing aid. You have to get in and stay in. Hopps' account of the shockwaves created by The Smiths is surely accurate, but what does it mean when the only shockwaves he can talk about elsewhere in the book were created by a few instances of alleged racism in Morrissey's song lyrics? There's an embarrassing gap that opens after Chapter One's history of The Smiths. The shadowy implication is that the season of Morrissey's relevance to the culture was a brief interval of about four or five years in the mid-Eighties. Morrissey's role since 1987 or 1988 has congealed into, as David Stubbs wrote, "the last keeper of the sanctuary of self-pity, apartness, exile"; in other words, where once Morrissey was a scourge who threatened to end the party, now he's a speed-bump in the driveway.

Well, the obvious answer to that would be that he simply hasn't been making records that compare in quality to what the Smiths did. People who don't like the Smiths are unlikely to like his solo albums either, and people who do like the Smiths are unlikely to like them as much as they like what the Smiths did. Witness how often he is still, after a solo career of more than 20 years, referred to as "former lead singer of the Smiths".

Other than that, I would suggest you have already answered the better part of that question earlier in your post, in the paragraph about the essentially unchanging nature of Morrissey's work (which to me, nor, I suspect, to you, is not a criticism). Having positioned itself as an antithesis to the specific conditions of the eighties, its direct impact on the pop scene neccessarily to a large extent shared the lifespan of those conditions, and they are long gone. If it is true that Morrissey's work on the whole can be seen as a cohesive entity, that means the points he make are still largely the same ones. They may still be relevant in a wider sense, but having been made once to great effect, they cannot easily be made again with a similar impact. His more quietly subversive potential still exists and seems to be widely acknowledged, but it's been there for 25 years and everybody is aware of it. The Smiths were an earthquake not because of what they were as such, but because at that particular time they represented something unheard of. Well, now we've heard of it for 25 years, and it'd take collective Alzheimer for it to retain much potential to stun and surprise.

Morrissey could not possibly hold on to the position and role he possessed within pop music during the eighties, because that position was held on terms which by their very nature lacked any potential for longevity. A consistent otherness, if subject to constant and massive exposure, inevitably becomes familiarity and predictability. The obvious career solution to this is constant change (Bowie, Madonna), but that would contradict the basic nature of everything Morrissey is about.

Another uncomfortable but inescapable implication of seeing his work as a cohesive body is that whatever contribution he is capable of making, he has in some sense already made - the picture is on the wall, new brushstrokes mainly add to the depth and density of what is already there. Did Years of Refusal, fine record though it is, change anything very much, for anyone? I doubt it. His work is already inviting the sort of perspectives that are usually reserved for careers that are finished. And in some senses, it requires it - which in itself is not an advantage relative to acquiring a pronounced direct significance for a business and its related media who scarcely possess the sort of attention span required to deal with a complex message that spans 25 years and almost as many albums.

However, that also has advantages: If you've absorbed Morrissey in some reasonably comprehensive way, he won't go away. You don't neccessarily have to pay much attention to his latest work. And clearly, not only many active musicians but also a very considerable proportion of journalists, media people have done just that. Ie, a quiet, underlying but perceptible influence, a sort of constant point of reference. I suspect that may be at its peak around the present time, when the generation who were at the right age to be most strongly and directly impacted by the Smiths are at an age where they dominate journalism and cultural life in general, in a way they didn't ten years ago and won't in ten years.

Ultimately however, I think that Morrissey will remain relevant for a very long time, and to an extent exactly because his whole work can fruitfully be approached as a single whole. If that is true, Hopps' book might turn out to have been an important first step.

cheers

Last edited:
Not a tangent at all. Very interesting account of your acquaintance with camp and with the history of ideas.

Given your experiences, and given my own, I'm not surprised that the section on camp was eye-opening for one of us and not the other. My early burglary years were spent in a city without culture-- not merely a distant suburb, but a distant American suburb-- and camp arrived in my life unannounced, unnamed, and only dimly understood for a long time.

Well, mine were much the same, when I first discoverd the Smiths, I doubt the Norwegian backwoods I grew up in were perceptibly more cultured than any american suburb. :) I was just lucky to be around at a time when camp was making an impact, generally as well as particularly in the subjects I happened to be studying at that time. We had no idea of camp as a concept when we were watching Ed Wood movies or playing easy listening records either, it just seemed to come of its own accord really.

I was almost totally at sea when it came to Morrissey's songs, yet I loved the camp elements of his work right away without knowing it. Hopps' explanation helps me grasp in clear terms what those elements are and how they work. Of course, even without Hopps I understood it instinctively, probably much as you did.

Yes, that was my experience too!

You were elequent in describing how Morrissey sings "in such a way that you don't doubt either the sincerity of the former nor the courageous and life-affirming strength of the latter". That was the source of my appreciation, too, the mixture of flippancy and seriousness. Even though I prefer the line as it is, I always liked to flip Morrissey's line in "I Want The One I Can't Have" so that he loves life and death, and equally. I believe this is a perspective it's possible to extract gently from Wilde and easy to grab with both hands from Nietzsche; the latter, after all, insisted on "killing the spirit of gravity".

You mean "Nowhere Fast"? And yes, I agree.

As you probably know Nietzsche pretty well, you probably liked, as I did, the footnote in which Hopps quoted Zizek on amor fati, who in turn was citing one of Nietzsche's great ideas, an offshoot of the eternal recurrence. For all of his dissatisfaction and nonbelonging, Morrissey is also a great accepter of his own fate. What's amazing is that he communicates this in his music without philosophizing as such. It's also the reason why his survival this far into his life, without offing himself, represents a triumph in itself above and beyond his art. His surivival, and now (if we are to believe some of his recent hints) relative happiness, is indeed a "living sign" of the importance of accepting things as they are and persisting through everything. The irony of Hopps' study is its irrelevance (as I argued earlier, but in a negative way): you could actually figure out the concept of amor fati from Morrissey's songs and know nothing of Nietzsche, which is pretty amazing.

:) You are absolutely right - you could. It would of course be absurd to conflate the two, but I have often thought that their work share a number of interesting similarities. Such as an unflinching willingness to face the world and existence as it is rather than shy away from or rationalise its uglier and more difficult aspects, and the insistence on incorporating those aspects without descending into mere nihilism or despair. They both take the more difficult road (or perhaps are forced to, through their inability to partake of ordinary human communality), and seem to find in that a sense of joy that doesn't negate life's ugliness, but rather co-exists with it. You could also point to their consistent bent for perspectivism and their fondness for the ambivalent, which to Nietzsche amounted to embedding the function of philosophy in its form by transforming the act of reading into an act of thinking. He doesn't so much supply answers as tentative propositions or outright claims, which is really more than anything else a kind of question. Much the same could be said of Morrissey.

You're right. Here's a fascinating angle in Hopps' book which bears on this: although Morrissey does not show the same "earnestness" and "sincerity" as the traditional rock bands-- and, as we know, was never taken as seriously as the U2s of the world, at least in the mainstream press-- what Hopps shows is that Morrissey's words and singing style contribute to the illusion of presence on the records. Perhaps this is the crucial but invisible element in the equation? Morrissey might be shifty, elusive, and too playful to pin down, but unlike the majority of pop singers he seems to be right there with you, "in the corner of your room". You could argue that while other singers "bear their souls" they remain distant, while Morrissey's persona may be coy and inscrutable yet also projects unmediated closeness, "primal joy" as you put it. I actually think it's a subject Hopps didn't go into enough.

Rolness has an interesting take on that. Concurrent with his discussion of Morrissey and the Pet Shop Boys (under the heading "These charming gentlemen"), he discusses the Roots revival of the late eighties, which he (rightly in my opinion) considers an alternative response to the glamour and artificial excess of 80s pop. Interestingly, he characterises this as an essentially romantic impulse, far more deserving of that epithet than the New romantics - a rather naive (or extremely calculating) reaffirmation of a "naturalness" that was far more elaborately and artifically staged than self-consciously glamorous pop music was, and much less honest. Hilariously, he points out that real proletarians dress up for special occasions while Bruce Springsteen felt compelled to wear a leather jacket during his wedding ceremony - a multi-millionaire who unlike actual workers could never afford to take a moment's break from a flanell shirt persona so obviously loaded with screaming self-contradiction that kitsch would seem rather an understatement. U2, Dublin wannabe-heirs to Joy Division, went to America, let themselves be photographed in a Real desert (Texas), played Real clubs (in Austin), jammed with a Real negro (BB King) and went into a Real studio in Memphis (I forget which), and then combined that with live recordings from a massive stadium tour to release one of the most heavily commercially backed albums of all time, Rattle and Hum. :) Nothing wrong with either, of course - but perhaps indicative of how naive and ultimately dishonest rock journalism's authenticity fetish is.

Well, as I read it, Hopps' final take on the subject was that Morrissey had a negative comportment toward God, but the point was that it was a comportment toward God, and not away from him. It's a position rather like Job's, which Hopps mentions. There's an essential connection underneath the complicated layers of anger, ostensible unbelief, and so forth. Last August James Wood wrote an essay in The New Yorker about Terry Eagleton and some of the "new atheists" like Dawkins and Hitchens. It was a book review, but as with most of Wood's stuff it turned into more. He suggested one possible stance to take is atheism as "disappointed belief" in God, and while he intended it as a firmly atheistic idea, I think you can make a case that one could adopt the same position and yet be oriented on the side of belief-- just on the other side, perhaps. I think this might be Morrissey's position.

In any event I agree that his belief or non-belief is beside the point. There are discernible signs of some sort of spirituality in his work, or (at the very least) certain traces of an ethical system not too far removed from genuine Christianity.

As far as Morrissey is concerned, I agree that this seems convincing. Considering, for instance, "Yes I am Blind" (God come down if you're really there/Well, you're the one who claims to care?) and the seemingly absurd "I have forgiven Jesus".

I can't resist making some more general remarks here however, Morrissey aside. In my opinion, and speaking as an atheist, the only sound basis for atheism is the conviction that God is irrelevant. Pursued on any other basis, atheism is neccessarily little more than a form of bereavement which implicitly affirm the very things it rejects, a failed belief, a position based on negativity - the bitter non-acquisition of something that ought to be present. A non-believing comportment towards God isn't a personal belief, it's a personal problem. As an intellectual point of departure it is poisonous, and leads (as I think Nietzsche showed compellingly, though I don't think he really succeeded in coming up with a better alternative) to the re-creation of a pseudo-religious belief system that apes religion's value system while denying the core assumption on which it is based. And he was surely right to argue that if God is dead, we need to redefine ethics as if he had never existed. As well as refocus the search for meaning away from the transcendental and towards the mundane and the human.

cheers

Last edited:
In my opinion, to "get" Morrissey... You would have to understand that his funny little singles are pieces of junk-- "Trash"-- as surely as they are works of art. "The pageant of his bleeding heart" can flip, like a coin, into "Heartbreak Hotel".

To me Morrissey's genius is his instinct for theater, his use of pop iconography, and his flawless taste in just about everything (even when, as I've said in another thread, his taste is flawlessly bad). What all of these have in common is that, from the outside, they can be read as both superficial and-- simultaneously-- containing deeper layers of meaning. A critic can spend five pages explaining Morrissey's choice of a cover star-- say, Alain Delon-- when the irony is that Morrissey probably didn't think about it at all. He saw the photo in a book and jabbed it with his finger, announcing "This is it". That's what we call talent, baby. :)

It would of course be absurd to conflate the two[Morrissey and Nietsche], but I have often thought that their work share a number of interesting similarities. Such as an unflinching willingness to face the world and existence as it is rather than shy away from or rationalise its uglier and more difficult aspects, and the insistence on incorporating those aspects without descending into mere nihilism or despair. They both take the more difficult road (or perhaps are forced to, through their inability to partake of ordinary human communality), and seem to find in that a sense of joy that doesn't negate life's ugliness, but rather co-exists with it. You could also point to their consistent bent for perspectivism and their fondness for the ambivalent, which to Nietzsche amounted to embedding the function of philosophy in its form by transforming the act of reading into an act of thinking. He doesn't so much supply answers as tentative propositions or outright claims, which is really more than anything else a kind of question. Much the same could be said of Morrissey. cheers

As I mentioned, when Morrissey was in Killarney, a poem that seemed to me to resonate with part of what he does was handed to security for him after the show. Passing the library today, an enquiry was rewarded by this archive retrieval. He may never have received it, but I believe it relates to the points made above (all rights, needless to say, remain with the poet):

LAST THINGS (printed in the Irish Times 25/4/09)

When Wittgenstein's cottage in Galway was unlocked
He had outwitted his critcs: thousands of comics
Rose up among mice droppings where they had wanted
To find folios from an Ubermensch, not Superman.

And Yeats, dying so intently on the Cote d'Azur
Read Westerns while he worked on his obituary
Though lariats turn to cinctures in the last verses.
Cú Chulainn was present, but also Bat Masterson.

Which is to say we aim at shoddy rapture.
The trash of dailiness has warmed us like newspaper
Down through the years inside our vests and jackets
Against all weathers. When we must manage naked,
Some sheet of it may seem less print than parchment
From the event of its being bodily sheltered
As if the humdrum could become papyrus
Because we had touched it and held it close to us,
The breastplate of the tramp, the thing that lasts.
- by Aidan Mathews

In 'City Journal' an article that got away (I think!) appeared early last year called 'Little Englanders' about the similarity between Morrissey and Phillip Larkin. The chapter entitled 'Maudlin Street' in Gavin Hopps' book draws a similar comparison. The article is written by Michael Weiss.

...But when it comes to true lyrical kinship, it’s not really Wilde who’s on Morrissey’s side—it’s Philip Larkin. “Larkin was not an inescapable presence in America, as he was in England,” noted Martin Amis on the occasion of the poet’s death in 1985, “and to some extent you can see America’s point.” The “bald, bespectacled and bicycle-clipped” provincial, who once told an interviewer that deprivation for him was what daffodils were for Wordsworth, was also a dour loner, keenly attuned to the “ironic romance of exclusion, or inversion,” as Amis put it. That this made him England’s finest postwar poet was itself something of an English in-joke...http://www.city-journal.org/2009/bc0227mw.html

It'll be nice to see more reviews here as people work through the book :)

A very interesting piece, thanks for posting it - as well as for your chracteristically well-written and insightful review.

cheers

A very interesting piece, thanks for posting it - as well as for your chracteristically well-written and insightful review.

cheers

It's my pleasure, Qvist, and the kind words, coming from such as you, convince me that occasionally we can even arrive at somewhere civilised...;)

Richard E. Otton has written up a good review of Hopps' book -

"...Gavin Hopps takes seriously Morrissey’s claim that when he formed The Smiths he ceased to be Steven Patrick Morrissey. Hopps explains that, “rather like the portrait in Dorian Gray’s attic”:

“Morrissey’s eponymous creation began acquiring a quasi-life of its own – a dramatically constituted life, to which every lyric and public act would contribute – which effectively consumed its creator. This sublimation of self seems to have been consciously willed by the singer. When asked in an interview ‘Is Steven Morrissey dead?’ he replied, “Yes, when the Smiths began it was very important that I wouldn’t be that horrible, stupid, sloppy Steven. He would have to be locked in a box and put on top of the wardrobe. I needed to feel differently and rather than adopt some glamorous pop star name, I eradicated Steven, which seemed to make perfect sense. Suddenly I was a totally different person.” (12)

That person is the subject of this biography. Morrissey: the Pageant of His Bleeding Heart aims to strike a difficult balance, studying the life of the persona that is Morrissey with little support from details of the actual man’s life. Morrissey’s songs with The Smiths and solo, both as works of lyrical poetry and as pieces of music, along with his remarks to the media, his performances on stage and in music videos, and visual works such as album covers and magazine photo spreads constitute the curriculum vitae that Hopps examines..."

The rest is at:
http://www.politicsandculture.org/2010/05/24/morrissey’s-flower-like-life/

These comments are refreshingly intellectual and appreciated more than you can know. So are the many theories proposed in Hopps book which I had a moment to glance at yesterday.

Having not read every comment on this thread and keeping in mind I only browsed the title a few minutes, I had one complaint of the format of his arguments and I wonder if anyone else experienced this. When he suggested, for instance, that Morrissey employs a sense of, let's say, a specific type of irony, he would then RANDOMLY quote from many different songs and string all the quotes together in order to exemplify that type of irony. Instead of referring to the way irony is used in a particular song, he was pulling it out of the song and treating a single line as a complete thought then grouping that line with three or four other lines irregardless of their place in the song. This struck me as being, I don't know, almost thorough analysis. I may take back this comment after reading the book in it's entirety, but just scanning the theories gave me a bit of a headache because in my mind I was retorting to every line selected "Yes but the line after this one quoted is doing something!!". :o I certainly appreciate the seriousness with which he's handled Morrissey's material though.

These comments are refreshingly intellectual and appreciated more than you can know. So are the many theories proposed in Hopps book which I had a moment to glance at yesterday.

Having not read every comment on this thread and keeping in mind I only browsed the title a few minutes, I had one complaint of the format of his arguments and I wonder if anyone else experienced this. When he suggested, for instance, that Morrissey employs a sense of, let's say, a specific type of irony, he would then RANDOMLY quote from many different songs and string all the quotes together in order to exemplify that type of irony. Instead of referring to the way irony is used in a particular song, he was pulling it out of the song and treating a single line as a complete thought then grouping that line with three or four other lines irregardless of their place in the song. This struck me as being, I don't know, almost thorough analysis. I may take back this comment after reading the book in it's entirety, but just scanning the theories gave me a bit of a headache because in my mind I was retorting to every line selected "Yes but the line after this one quoted is doing something!!". :o I certainly appreciate the seriousness with which he's handled Morrissey's material though.

Others also spent time teasing out similar subtleties e.g. this post from the same thread -

I may have read more of this book than anyone else here! I'm about 2/3 of the way through. My feelings are mixed.
The good - His review of "I Know It's Over" is excellent. It's also more than halfway through the book.
The bad - As everyone else has pointed out, he over analyzes the lyrics to the point of destroying the original intent of the songs. I doubt that Morrissey ever sat down and said, "I know, I'll use melisma as a way to draw attention to certain words." I do think it's possible that Morrissey unintentionally used certain styles or dramatic devices, and that Hopps is pointing towards why they work, not why they were written. I disagree with Hopps' analysis about 50% of the time.

For example - At one point he is discussing personification of inanimate objects, and uses "I've got a cold coming on, he grabs and devours, he kicks me in the showers" as an example. Hopps says that the cold is personified as something that grabs and devours. He completely misses the point that it is most likely the gym teacher from the previous line that grabs and devours, and that the cold is an attempt to avoid the teacher and not an agent.

Another case in point where Hopps attempts to glorify every line - Hopps heaps praise on "Roy's Keen" for, I believe, being in a camp style. He bemoans the abuse that has been heaped upon the song and finds ways to glorify it. Morrissey himself booted the track off of Maladjusted, suggesting that the song never was as perfect as Hopps promotes.

The prose of the book is quite dense and is written for someone in the field of literary analysis. I am not in the field and had a terribly difficult time sifting through the jargon. I had to do quite a few google searches to figure out just what he was talking about. I did learn some things about literature and pop culture as a result.

I feel the best aspect of the book is that it forces you to look closely at Morrissey's lyrics and sing the songs in your head as you read. He provides interesting, if not necessarily accurate, interpretations of both the words, the music and the vocalization of Morrissey's songs.

Tags
have mercy worm i <3 boobies morrissey books words
Back
Top Bottom