moz had is day

Whilst he will never reach the heights of the smiths, he is still one of the greatest artists releasing material today. Whether that says more about other artists I don't know

how many people feel he's had is day now

I'm 46 and still play football... I know I'm nowhere near as good as I was when I was 26 (and I was crap then:lbf:) but I still love playing each week, twice a week..... so should i give in because i've had my day?
Bollocks.....I'll keep playing and enjoying myself until I physically cannot play any longer..... and if Morrissey says the same about his career..... then that's fine by me:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

Whilst he will never reach the heights of the smiths, he is still one of the greatest artists releasing material today. Whether that says more about other artists I don't know

What he said. :thumb:

I definitely do not think Morrissey has had his day, and won't do for a long time probably- he still speaks to so many people, and has a lot more to give musically and lyrically imo.

I don't mind how long he goes on for, as long as he's still enjoying what he does, being himself and saying what he thinks, and writing great songs (which he still does in my opinion). That's all that I care about really. :)

hmmm

How many people feel this thread is pointless?

I don't think it's pointless.

However, it's frustrating that lostsoul2 hasn't explained the reasons that he finds Morrissey's latest album isn't good enough etc.

having just read that "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" was played over the weekend as opposed to one of the dozens of neglected classics.... well, maybe he has lost touch a bit. :D

Last edited:
Many artists arguably had their 'day' in only a very short period a long time ago, this doesn't necessarily mean their later output is of any less worth or significance and it doesn't have to be any less enjoyable for the listener. I don't really know what you mean by his 'day', Morrissey's career is what he makes of it. Only he can judge when his day is over. Also what do you actually want to happen, for him to give up because he'll never write another 'There is a light' again'? This surely defeats the point of being a musician. I'm not going to write him off while he's still making music I enjoy and giving knock out performances like he is at the minute.

Many artists arguably had their 'day' in only a very short period a long time ago, this doesn't necessarily mean their later output is of any less worth or significance and it doesn't have to be any less enjoyable for the listener. I don't really know what you mean by his 'day', Morrissey's career is what he makes of it. Only he can judge when his day is over. Also what do you actually want to happen, for him to give up because he'll never write another 'There is a light' again'? This surely defeats the point of being a musician. I'm not going to write him off while he's still making music I enjoy and giving knock out performances like he is at the minute.

I agree. He still makes good songs and good albums. Morrissey's career is more regular than Bowie's. The latest album as well as YATQ and even ROTT are very good works. Maybe he had bad times at 90''s, but now he's a day... with a big sun shining on his horizon.You may not like the Moz's solo career, and it'll be your mind... but you'd say what you don't like of.

I think I'm only hangin' out.

I agree. He still makes good songs and good albums. Morrissey's career is more regular than Bowie's. The latest album as well as YATQ and even ROTT are very good works. Maybe he had bad times at 90''s, but now he's a day... with a big sun shining on his horizon.You may not like the Moz's solo career, and it'll be your mind... but you'd say what you don't like of.

bowie sucks now.

Thing is though Morrissey still appeals to the right audience, it wouldnt be right if he appealed to all the chart listners, playing sell out tours at the arena's, packed full of people who went to see kanye west last week and little girls who were going to see gorls aloud the week after, would it now?

so no Moz hasn't had his day at all, he is still relevant to the right people and i think he and record companies know this

having just read that "I Just Want to See the Boy Happy" was played over the weekend as opposed to one of the dozens of neglected classics.... well, maybe he has lost touch a bit. :D

This is part of what's frustrating me these days. I've just watched the Eurockeennes set from a few years back, and it staggers me that some of those songs were ever deemed good enough to get recorded, let along cherry-picked to play as part of a live set. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy, At Last I Am Born, The Youngest Was The Most Loved, I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now... none of these would make it into my top 100 Morrissey songs.

I'm a bit lukewarm on him now, and part of it is because his albums haven't been good in recent years, and his setlist choices have been iffy at best. Fine when you're on tour with an album to sell, but some of the songs that end up back in his set after a long spell out absolutely baffles me. This was a festival set as well, don't forget, where not everyone in attendance is a hardcore fan. He's simply not really aware of the need to tailor his set in that kind of arena.

He still shows flashes of the old genius, but they're getting fewer and further between for me. I know it has its fans here, but YOR has seriously left me cold.

Surely you mean 'moz ad is day?'

This is part of what's frustrating me these days. I've just watched the Eurockeennes set from a few years back, and it staggers me that some of those songs were ever deemed good enough to get recorded, let along cherry-picked to play as part of a live set. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy, At Last I Am Born, The Youngest Was The Most Loved, I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now... none of these would make it into my top 100 Morrissey songs.

I'm a bit lukewarm on him now, and part of it is because his albums haven't been good in recent years, and his setlist choices have been iffy at best. Fine when you're on tour with an album to sell, but some of the songs that end up back in his set after a long spell out absolutely baffles me. This was a festival set as well, don't forget, where not everyone in attendance is a hardcore fan. He's simply not really aware of the need to tailor his set in that kind of arena.

He still shows flashes of the old genius, but they're getting fewer and further between for me. I know it has its fans here, but YOR has seriously left me cold.

I think Morrissey is only too aware of the commercial "need to tailor his set", but chooses not to. He's Morrissey.

Commercially, he's in decline. Creatively, the rich seam he has been mining yields less and less (but it still yields the occasional gem, by thunder). But, he's more Morrissey now than he ever was.

God bless 'im. :)

I haven't a scooby doo if Moz 'as 'ad 'is day, or whatevah. Am I bovvered ?
Alls I do know is I've been without my i-pod for a few months now and my headphones have been shot. Last night I fixed everything and today found myself fully wired for sound for the first time in a long time, and to test my levels I randomly picked the collection of 8 b-sides from the 'Ringleader of the Tormentors' singles. Every song sounded like the first time again. It was like fallin' in love with Moz all over again, the voice ~ incapable of falsity, the words, that rich 'RotT' sound. Really stunningly good tracks. I re-iterate that 'Christian Dior' is one of the truest, finest works Morrissey has ever created.
Has he had his day? Dunno. But he's made mine. :thumb:

Thing is though Morrissey still appeals to the right audience, it wouldnt be right if he appealed to all the chart listners, playing sell out tours at the arena's, packed full of people who went to see kanye west last week and little girls who were going to see gorls aloud the week after, would it now?

so no Moz hasn't had his day at all, he is still relevant to the right people and i think he and record companies know this

This attitude f***ing sickens me.

So you think that you are one of the "right people" because you don't go to see Kanye West or Girls Aloud? You think that "little girls" couldn't possibly ever be truly inspired by hearing Morrissey's music? How about little boys, would they get Morrissey? Or are you sexist as well as ignorant? Did you discover Morrissey's music at the correct age?

Some people like different stuff to you and discover art in different ways ok? If everyone in the world liked the same shit it'd be dull - much less to drive you, nothing to react against and no minds to change.
I myself have been a Morrissey fan for many many years now. I also feel that Kanye West has made some great records as well and, if it wasn't for the fact that I was out of town I would've gone to see his show in London on Saturday. I am a music fan and can appreciate great music made by people who believe in what they do. I went to see Blur recently and the crowd was made up of a real cross section - people around my age (late 20s) who were in their teens when Blur first hit, youngsters that can't have been more than 10 when their last album came out and old school music fans who know that great music pretty much always wins out over genres and barriers.

If it's so great that Morrissey doesn't appeal to these people then maybe you should tell him, that way perhaps he'd stop throwing hissy fits when his records don't hit the top of the charts.

Pop music is a product. You are passionate about a product.

Back
Top Bottom