New (old school) Belle & Sebastian song

BookishBoy

If (like me) you've found most of Belle & Sebastian's output over the last 7 or 8 years mostly unlistenable and devoid of any magic at all, you might want to know that while their new album (out today) continues that trend, it does contain one very old Murdoch composition ("When the Cynics Stare Back from the Wall") which is beautiful and well worth streaming / downloading.

Agreeing with BookishBoy. They were good for a while but haven't gotten it right lately.

The Boy with the Arab Strap was such a great album. (God, I'm old!)

If (like me) you've found most of Belle & Sebastian's output over the last 7 or 8 years mostly unlistenable and devoid of any magic at all, you might want to know that while their new album (out today) continues that trend, it does contain one very old Murdoch composition ("When the Cynics Stare Back from the Wall") which is beautiful and well worth streaming / downloading.
I mostly agree but I did really like the slower/quiet songs on Girls in Peacetime... Like..

I like some of the stuff from Write About Love and Girls in Peacetime...but when they decided to swap guitars, violins, trumpets for eletro beats the things begin to work each time less for me...I don't know what you see in me is 100% bleak

this is terrible.

a real dud. it sounds dated and digitized - as if the proclaimers were dragged into the studio w/murdoch on vocals and the band armed with nothing more than a macbook air, circa 2013.

just a far cry from "the state I am in" - a throwback masterpiece. i am very disappointed.

A Bit Of Previous (2022) is a fantastic album

I thought a lot of the songs on it had an annoying 70s soul/electronic tinge. More like that perennial nuisance Beck than Belle and Sebastian. But I did really like the songs Young and Stupid and Deathbed of My Dreams. Like this new one, those songs seemed a return to the "classic" era.

Negative Nancy's and *some* critics on the music beat either conveniently, or deliberately ignore the fact that Morrissey's songs are always, always thoughtfully and lovingly accompanied by instrumentation - as in there are real musicians, playing real instruments behind that VOICE.

This fact somewhat depresses me, and it's also why I am inclined toward listening to piano concertos in the winter time!

Can someone make a playlist or even just a list in general of their best songs since Storytelling? I kind of lost interest after that. But I love all that old stuff. The only somewhat recent song of their that I really adore is Suicide Girl.

Back
Top Bottom