No more covers please Moz!

marred

My god I am so not interested in hearing Morrissey sing other people's songs and unfortunately they seem to be the flavor of the month with him at the moment. The songs he covers are in no way as good as his so why sing them? Fair enough sing them in the shower Moz but when it comes to releasing a single I get excited about hearing 2, possibly 3 or in the good old Bona days 4 new "Morrissey" songs! Let Mikey Farrel write another one for a B side because "At last I am born" is amazing. Human Being is an especially dull song and sooooo long!!! :mad:

I thought his cover of A song from under the floorboards was much better than the original.

The same with his cover of human being.

As long as he doesn't include any covers on albums then I'll be happy.

marred said:
The songs he covers are in no way as good as his so why sing them?

After performing Human Being in Rome he said 'I know I don't sing it very well, but I enjoy it' (not verbatim but you get the gist)

I love his taste in cover versions - it's always impeccable! "Human Being" is a brilliant song and so is "A Song From Under The Floorboards". Certainly both of these songs are better than anything on Ringleader (excepting "Life Is A Pigsty" - of course). And "No One Can Hold A Candle To You" was absolutely amazing. I hope he continues to dredge up brilliant but obscure songs to perform with regularity.

from who was the original "no one can hold a candle to you"?

It's a song of Raymonde, Morrissey's friend and one-time Smiths stage dancer James Maker's band.

I think he's actually getting better at it as the years go on. A Song From Under was excellent -- I didn't even reallly know the original (and still haven't heard it, anybody care to post it?)

well, i enjoy moz's covers. many of the songs he covers are originally great songs too. how could you not appreaciate his cover of Moon River? it's lovely in every way and A Song from Under.. was perfection. i don't mind his covers at all.

"Human Being" is in my top 3 from 2006... love it.

I like most of his covers, even stretching back to "Golden Lights". "Song From Under The Floorboards" is, I hate to say, my favorite track from the "Ringleader" era. I can understand preferring The Jam's version of "That's Entertainment", since Weller's sneering sarcasm is essential coloring for the words, but I can't help but like Morrissey's version, too (both the B-side and live rendition).

My favorite Morrissey cover is from The Smiths: "What's The World?" by James. I only wish it had been properly done as a Peel Session and not put out as a murky giveaway track. The James original is brilliant but hard to find.

can you upload the James-original?

thanks!

I think he's always been good at it - I loved "Skin Storm" and "East West" - but his quality has certainly never wavered. The one downside to his cover of "A Song From Under The Floorboard" is that it is so lyrically superior to anything Morrissey has done in a long time that it really puts a spotlight on his recent sub-par efforts. The opening line, "I am angry, I am ill, and I'm as ugly as sin" - also reminds us of the lyric for "Accept Yourself": "I am sick and I am dull and I am plain"... which is another reminder of how far Morrissey has fallen from his lofty early days.

One would think that singing songs like "A Song From Under The Floorboards," "Redondo Beach," and "Human Being" would inspire Mozzer to put a bit more effort into his lyrics again, and start tossing stuff like "I Just Want To See the Boy Happy" into the dustbin.

One would think...

Comtesse said:
I think he's always been good at it - I loved "Skin Storm" and "East West" - but his quality has certainly never wavered. The one downside to his cover of "A Song From Under The Floorboard" is that it is so lyrically superior to anything Morrissey has done in a long time that it really puts a spotlight on his recent sub-par efforts. The opening line, "I am angry, I am ill, and I'm as ugly as sin" - also reminds us of the lyric for "Accept Yourself": "I am sick and I am dull and I am plain"... which is another reminder of how far Morrissey has fallen from his lofty early days.

One would think that singing songs like "A Song From Under The Floorboards," "Redondo Beach," and "Human Being" would inspire Mozzer to put a bit more effort into his lyrics again, and start tossing stuff like "I Just Want To See the Boy Happy" into the dustbin.

One would think...

One thinks that was an excellent post!

I guess I just prefer to hear new Morrissey songs with new lyrics from his head and not someone elses.

marred said:
I guess I just prefer to hear new Morrissey songs with new lyrics from his head and not someone elses.

Even if the words coming from his head are "I see the world, it makes me puke"? I think I prefer someone else's in that case...

Back
Top Bottom