Other books Morrissey and Smiths fans might like

goinghome

you must not tamper with arrangements
With no reason to talk about the books I read, but still I do ... ”

What’s the reason for the Thomas Wolfe book on that list? Is Morrissey genuinely fond of it, or is it just because the title is paraphrased in Is It Really So Strange? That’s kind of a tenuous connection. But it would be nice if he’s an admirer. I’m currently reading Andrew Turnbull’s biography of Wolfe.

‘Wolfe, Thomas

• His novel "Look Homeward, Angel" contains the line "Over the stones rattle his bones, he's only a beggar that nobody owns!" which might have inspired Morrissey for the song "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle" although this line has previously appeared in James Joyce's "Ulysses" and even earlier in English poet Thomas Noel's "The Pauper's Funeral". The story of the latter book is of a young man who longs to escape his tumultuous family and his small town existence, a recurring theme in Morrissey's reading and inspiration.
  • The title of his book "You Can't Go Home Again" was written by Morrissey on a blackboard in a schoolroom in Fairmount Indiana (home of James Dean) in the video for his song "Suedehead".’
from PJLM.

With no reason to talk about the books I read, but still I do ... ”

What’s the reason for the Thomas Wolfe book on that list? Is Morrissey genuinely fond of it, or is it just because the title is paraphrased in Is It Really So Strange? That’s kind of a tenuous connection. But it would be nice if he’s an admirer. I’m currently reading Andrew Turnbull’s biography of Wolfe.

A Kiss Across The Ocean (2022); book by Richard T. Rodríguez on Latinos and '80s British rockers

"Richard T. Rodríguez, a professor of English and media and cultural studies at the University of California, Riverside...talked about his latest book, “A Kiss Across the Ocean: Transatlantic Intimacies of British Post-Punk and US Latinidad,” which Duke University Press published last September.

Partly a work of pop-culture history and partly a memoir of Rodríguez’s teenage experience as a Southern California Mexican American obsessed with British post-punk music, “A Kiss Across the Ocean” explores the bond that has long existed between Latinos and '80s British rockers.

The book takes its title from a 1984 Culture Club concert special," - https://www.expressnews.com/columni...cle/latinos-love-80s-british-pop-17845863.php

Morrissey gets a strangely dubious mention; "Rodríguez is interested in why Latinos gravitate to '80s British post-punk, but it’s to his credit that he rejects the simplistic, knee-jerk rationales that often accompany stories about former Smiths singer Morrissey’s dedicated Mexican American fan base, such as the idea that Morrissey’s melodramatic emotionality feels like home for Chicanos. "

The Art of Darkness: A History of Goth (2023) by John Robb

"The first ever complete overview of Goth culture will be released in 2023.

Finally, after a decade of work, countless interviews and immersing deep into the culture, John Robb's definitive book is a journey deep into The Art Of Darkness. The first in-depth book on Goth is a deepdive into the enduring culture and the social, historical and political backdrop that created the space for the art of darkness to thrive.

Every generation has got to deal with the blues - embrace the melancholy! Find a beauty in the darkness, a poetry in sex and death!

Whether it’s the Roman love of ghost stories, middle ages European macabre folk tales, Romantic poets or the original Gothic tribes sacking the eternal city, a walk on the dark side had always had its attractions. In the post-punk period Generation Xerox saw music, clothes and culture come together to create one of the most enduring pop cultures of them all that still resonates to this day.

Goth. It may have been a retrospective term for a scene that was already thriving but its back story goes back millennia. The book starts with the fall of Rome and ends with Instagram and Tik Tok influencers and takes diversions through Lord Byron, European folk tales, Indian Sadhus, Gothic architecture, Romantic poets, philosophers and idealists before coalescing through the dark end of etc the sixties youth-quake and then blooming like Baudelaire’s Les Fleurs Du Mal in the post-punk period.

In the late seventies, the Goth culture emerged around a clutch of bands who found a new form of beauty in the apocalyptic foreboding as a new youth tribe took glam rock from the catwalk to the cobbles and onto their own dance floors that were creating their own art of darkness.

With interviews with the likes of Andrew Eldritch, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, The Cult, The Banshees, The Damned, Einsturzende Neubauten, Danielle Dax, Johnny Marr, Trent Reznor, Adam Ant, Laibach, The Cure, Nick Cave and many others this is a deep dive and walk on the dark side and into the dark heartland of Goth.

Defying the broken heartland of the post-industrial cities, the semi-forgotten satellite towns and the grim real politic of the Thatcher years this was a post-punk culture full of dark dance and a death disco. The music sound-tracked the style and a stygian obsidian soundtrack that coalesced from the many fragments of culture that had been flirted with in the post-war pop narrative. A darker culture that began to coalesce around the holy trinity of the Doors, the Velvets and the Stooges in the late sixties before flirting with glam rock and then being amplified by punk and exploding as Goth and then splintering into electronic dance music, industrial, phychobilly and new Goth and then through dystopian Hollywood blockbusters, modern literature and throughout the modern world.

Emerging from the shadows Goth is now everywhere and the Art Of Darkness is the only reaction to these dystopian times..." -

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/product/john-robb/the-art-of-darkness-a-history-of-goth-2 and

https://louderthanwar.com/john-robb-the-art-of-darkness-the-history-of-goth/

"[Andy] Spinoza’s new book Manchester Unspun: Pop, Property and Power in the Original Modern City documents this transformation and the subcultures that were made and unmade along the way. Amid the economic despair, Manchester gave rise to Joy Division, the Smiths, New Order, Happy Mondays, and more. A central figure in the Manchester scene was Factory Records owner Tony Wilson, a free-spirited quasi-Marxist and informal minister of culture whose nightclub the Haçienda became a symbol of the city, as well as an international destination in the late 1980s." -

https://jacobin.com/2023/04/manches...division-the-smiths-postindustrial-investment

and

https://manchesteruniversitypress.co.uk/9781526168450/manchester-unspun/

The Art of Darkness: A History of Goth (2023) by John Robb

"The first ever complete overview of Goth culture will be released in 2023.

Finally, after a decade of work, countless interviews and immersing deep into the culture, John Robb's definitive book is a journey deep into The Art Of Darkness. The first in-depth book on Goth is a deepdive into the enduring culture and the social, historical and political backdrop that created the space for the art of darkness to thrive.

Every generation has got to deal with the blues - embrace the melancholy! Find a beauty in the darkness, a poetry in sex and death!

Whether it’s the Roman love of ghost stories, middle ages European macabre folk tales, Romantic poets or the original Gothic tribes sacking the eternal city, a walk on the dark side had always had its attractions. In the post-punk period Generation Xerox saw music, clothes and culture come together to create one of the most enduring pop cultures of them all that still resonates to this day.

Goth. It may have been a retrospective term for a scene that was already thriving but its back story goes back millennia. The book starts with the fall of Rome and ends with Instagram and Tik Tok influencers and takes diversions through Lord Byron, European folk tales, Indian Sadhus, Gothic architecture, Romantic poets, philosophers and idealists before coalescing through the dark end of etc the sixties youth-quake and then blooming like Baudelaire’s Les Fleurs Du Mal in the post-punk period.

In the late seventies, the Goth culture emerged around a clutch of bands who found a new form of beauty in the apocalyptic foreboding as a new youth tribe took glam rock from the catwalk to the cobbles and onto their own dance floors that were creating their own art of darkness.

With interviews with the likes of Andrew Eldritch, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, The Cult, The Banshees, The Damned, Einsturzende Neubauten, Danielle Dax, Johnny Marr, Trent Reznor, Adam Ant, Laibach, The Cure, Nick Cave and many others this is a deep dive and walk on the dark side and into the dark heartland of Goth.

Defying the broken heartland of the post-industrial cities, the semi-forgotten satellite towns and the grim real politic of the Thatcher years this was a post-punk culture full of dark dance and a death disco. The music sound-tracked the style and a stygian obsidian soundtrack that coalesced from the many fragments of culture that had been flirted with in the post-war pop narrative. A darker culture that began to coalesce around the holy trinity of the Doors, the Velvets and the Stooges in the late sixties before flirting with glam rock and then being amplified by punk and exploding as Goth and then splintering into electronic dance music, industrial, phychobilly and new Goth and then through dystopian Hollywood blockbusters, modern literature and throughout the modern world.
I had been looking forward to reading that book for a long time, and finally, I managed to read it. It was up to my expectations, and I really liked it. I also chose it for my paper and wrote a book report on it. I faced some difficulties while writing, but thanks to https://edusson.com/write-my-book-report, I managed to finish writing my book report on time. So I can say I not only read the book but deeply analyzed it, and I can recommend it to others because it's for sure worth reading. It has more than 500 pages, which is a lot, but believe me, you won't even notice that the book is so long.
Emerging from the shadows Goth is now everywhere and the Art Of Darkness is the only reaction to these dystopian times..." -

https://www.roughtrade.com/gb/product/john-robb/the-art-of-darkness-a-history-of-goth-2 and

https://louderthanwar.com/john-robb-the-art-of-darkness-the-history-of-goth/
My friend read that book already, and he loved it. I also bought it some time ago, but I haven't started it yet, but after his review, I'm very interested.

LUNCH WITH THE WILD FRONTIERS
- A HISTORY OF BRITPOP AND EXCESS IN 13½ CHAPTERS
by PHILL SAVIDGE

The 2019 memoir about Britpop by someone who claimed to have influenced the birth of the movement, and met many artists linked to the genre and others active at the time, which might contain a few tidbits of interest:

"Phill Savidge is widely credited as being the main instigator of the Britpop music movement that swept the UK in the mid-1990s. Savidge was co-founder and head of legendary public relations company Savage & Best, the company that represented most of the artists associated with the scene, including Suede, Pulp, The Verve, Elastica, Kula Shaker, Spiritualized, Menswear, The Auteurs, and Black Box Recorder.

Savidge transitioned to female after the publication of her first book, Lunch With The Wild Frontiers, and is now known as Jane Savidge. In Lunch … she suggests that Britpop came about by accident because she refused to represent any American bands. She subsequently ended up with an extremely accessible, media-friendly roster that lived around the corner and included the most exciting press-worthy acts of the era.

Savidge’s unique experience at the epicentre of Britpop led to many intimate, not entirely self-congratulatory encounters with a who’s who of popular culture, including Brett Anderson, Damon Albarn, Roy Orbison, David Bowie, Joe Strummer, Lou Reed, Michael Barrymore, Richard Ashcroft, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Mick Jagger, George Lucas, Damien Hirst, and Dave Stewart, among others. But did she really Sellotape a cassette of Suede’s ‘Animal Nitrate’ single to a purple velvet cushion with a note that said ‘another great disappointment’ and then bike it to the NME? And could she and Jarvis Cocker really have fallen out simply because a journalist thought she was more glamorous than the Pulp front man?

If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to represent Hirst, Cocker, and The Verve in the same decade, and then wake up in bed with Keith Allen in the Ritz in Paris courtesy of Mohammed Al Fayed then you should read this book. Imagine David Sedaris with a hangover and an expense account and you’re halfway to appreciating the delinquent delights of Lunch With The Wild Frontiers." - http://jawbonepress.com/lunch-with-the-wild-frontiers/

And another book on the way, Adventures in Wonderland, by Paul Charles.

"Irishman Paul Charles is one of the leading music agents on the planet. Over the past 40 years, he has worked with some of the biggest names in music, at different times managing the careers of Van Morrison, Ray Davies of The Kinks, Gerry Rafferty, The Waterboys and Dexys Midnight Runners, and launching Tanita Tikaram – the teenage star whose debut album sold almost 5 million copies – into the world.

In addition, he has been agent and confidante along the way to The Kinks, Robert Plant, Tom Waits, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Don McLean, Lonnie Donegan, Rory Gallagher, Marianne Faithfull, John Prine, Carly Simon, Jackson Browne, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Christy Moore, Taj Mahal, Buzzcocks, The Undertones, Hothouse Flowers, The Blue Nile, Shakespears Sister, Ronnie Spector – and dozens more of modern music’s brightest stars.

In his role with the Asgard agency, he has also promoted shows featuring many of the leading artists in the world, including The Police, U2, Van Morrison, Dire Straits, Carole King, Meatloaf, David Gilmour, BB King, Emmylou Harris and John Lee Hooker.

Paul has also been involved since the early days with Glastonbury Festival, with his artists topping the bill on more than one occasion before he was invited by Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis to take on the daunting – and inspiring – task of booking the Acoustic Stage at the festival every year, a role he has carried out for the past 30 years.

Oh, and he is also a successful crime writer and a songwriter, whose work has ended up on albums by Kendrick Lamar (in his K.Dot guise), Talib Kweli and Norah Jones – as well as on the four original albums released by the Northern Irish band he started out with, Fruupp, and with whom he enjoyed the kind of mad adventures which only bands that fall just short of the big time have the very dubious pleasure of experiencing!

All of these extraordinary escapades, as well as his encounters with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Police, U2 and more, are brought together brilliantly in his marvellous new book Adventures In Wonderland. A riveting memoir, it is the story of a music-mad kid from Magherafelt in Co. Derry, Northern Ireland who went on to work, and become friends, with many of his rock and roll idols...

Packed with jaw-dropping stories, including the time when he was almost burned alive along with his precious record collection, and pen pictures of the kind of stars we all want to know more about, Adventures In Wonderland is also one of the most complete insights into the world – and the business – of music that you will ever encounter. It is a must-read for every music fan – and for students of how the world of rock ’n’ roll works alike."

A couple of books about Gene Pitney written by a friend of his - https://genepitneybook.com/

"Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway. Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Carole King and Gerry Goffin. Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil. Barry Mason and Les Reed. Dimitri Tiomkin and Ned Washington. Randy Newman. Al Kooper. An eclectic group of famed and acclaimed songwriters who all have one thing in common: in the 1960s they all wrote hit songs for Rock & Roll Hall of Fame member Gene Pitney.

“Something’s Gotten Hold of My Heart,” “That Girl Belongs To Yesterday,” “Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa,” “Town Without Pity,” “Just One Smile,” and “Backstage” are just a few of Pitney’s worldwide hits.

Gene Pitney was, without a doubt, the Frank Sinatra of his generation. Hit after hit after hit. Screaming female fans. Sold out concerts in the US and abroad, especially England, Ireland, Italy, and Australia. He did not just sing the songwriters’ songs; he interpreted them; he brought them to life. He actually gave them context and essence that the writers never imagined. Whether it was a searing lyric of lost love that Pitney delivered with crushing pain or the story of eternal love that he delivered with a warmhearted whisper, every
song received the extraordinarily unique Pitney treatment. When one of his hits blared out of a transistor radio in the 1960s, there was never any doubt who was singing.

How did the shy, clean-cut 24-year-old American singer rework, recast, and record an early Rolling Stones song in 1964 and give the Glimmer Twins, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, their first chart hit in both England and the USA? Why did Pitney NOT want to record “Only Love Can Break A Heart,” the Burt Bacharach-Hal David song that became his biggest hit in the USA, and how did recording it come about? How did a very wet-behind-the-ears Gene Pitney get his hands on a song that would be nominated for an Academy Award before his career was in full swing?

Dave McGrath was Gene Pitney’s friend, business partner, and confidante for over twenty years. Together they formed Gene Pitney Music & Merchandising in 1985, when Pitney decided to resurrect his career in the USA. McGrath did press, fan, and PR legwork for Pitney and, along with his wife, Guida Brown, designed and produced all of Pitney’s American tour merchandise. Pitney was Best Man at McGrath’s wedding in 1998; McGrath was a pallbearer at Pitney’s funeral in 2006." - from Amazon listing intro.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
William Davies' review in the London Review of Books, of A Fan’s Life: The Agony of Victory and the Thrill of Defeat by Paul Campos (2022):

"...Justice may not be what love looks like in public, but fandom might be. To be a fan is to renounce fairness or balance, and to open oneself up to joy, despair, triumphalism, indignation and absurdity. In sport, judges are (or are expected to be) dispassionate and disinterested. Critics, too, are expected to keep their feelings in check, at least until they have read the book, seen the film or stood in front of the painting they are assessing; only then might they be permitted to let their feelings enter in. Fans, on the other hand, make no pretence of balance or reason. They are drunk on irrationality and obstinacy, hurling themselves after the fortunes of their chosen team, band, TV show or celebrity. A fan may feel aggrieved at the unfairness of the world (as embodied in a referee, critic or prize panel), but the last thing they aspire to be is fair. A fan is someone with a dog in the fight...

;;;But in Britain, as Hornby was certainly aware, impassioned fandom wasn’t something most ‘respectable’ middle-class men would have owned up to before the 1990s. (Campos notes that the term ‘anorak’ first emerged in Britain in the 1980s, as a derisory term for trainspotters.) The 1960s mods who inspired Blur were usually working-class, and were treated as a nuisance by middle-class society. The permission to express unreasoned devotion to a flag, a team or an icon was gained by flirting with working-class identity and pursuits, in a way that would have been hard to imagine only a decade earlier. The culture of the ‘masses’, long looked down on for their sentimentality and herd behaviour, was now seen as a mine of opportunities for fandom. Fan identities and rituals were no longer considered unsophisticated, but were instead overtly, reflexively and commercially valorised...

...the internet is the natural home for obsessive fandom. It’s what enables memes to be shared, great moments from the past to be endlessly replayed, rage to be voiced, and shared identities to be affirmed. Social media platforms are machines for announcing what you do and don’t love. The digital synopticon, in which everyone is constantly watching everyone else, breeds manic surges of euphoria and disappointment, as fans feed one another’s appetites for information. Once rumours circulate that the Wolverines are signing some star player, the message boards start filling up with the latest flight tracker data, as possible evidence that the player in question is en route to Michigan. But as Hornby, Loaded, Blair, Britpop and Euro 96 show, much of what Campos reports had permeated the zeitgeist before most of us had ever logged on in earnest. Fandom acquired a political and economic utility at a moment in history when passion became required of us both in the workplace and at the shopping mall, and when nations were reimagined as giant corporate brands in a race against one another.

What monsters were unleashed in the process? Nationalism, after all, is a form of fandom, which rebels against the constraints of liberal reason by expressing an unapologetic bias for one ‘side’ against every other. Outrageous conservative media outlets such as Fox News (founded in 1996) and Breitbart (2005) have nourished the sense that nobody is free from bias or prejudice, and that it is only the liberal elite who would ever pretend to be so in the first place. The internet isn’t just a space where fans debate with one another, but also where tribes build up a distorted and hateful picture of their enemies...

... But if the model of mass industrialised fandom developed against the backdrop of neoliberal capitalism is one in which the ‘rules of the game’ are beyond politics, and the only question is who or what to love and who or what to hate, then the escape route from this game-space can only lie in establishing different measures of justice altogether." - https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v45/n10/william-davies/a-dog-in-the-fight

My friend read that book already, and he loved it. I also bought it some time ago, but I haven't started it yet, but after his review, I'm very interested.
Seoda Shows & The Centre for the Study of Popular Music and Popular Culture, UL
proudly present An evening with John Robb
In conversation with Eoin Devereux about his best-selling book 'The Art Of Darkness: The History Of Goth'
The conversation will be followed by a book signing and a DJ set by John Robb
Fri June 2nd 2023 at Kasbah Club, Dolans, Limerick. Doors 8PM
Admission Free!

Author/Music Scribe/TV Presenter/Environmental Activist and Bass Player for perennial post-punk survivors The Membranes, John Robb is a man who cannot sit still. When he’s not touring with his band (they recently toured in Europe with The Stranglers, The Chameleons and Fields Of The Nephilim), he’s presenting, moderating or writing for his popular UK music site Louder Than War. John has previously written the best-selling books “Punk Rock : An Oral History” and “The North Will Rise Again : Manchester Music City 1976-1996”. His latest opus is the 550-page “The Art Of Darkness : The History of Goth”, an in-depth account that he feels presents the first major and comprehensive overview of Goth music and culture and its lasting legacy.

Starting with a night out in a Goth club, it then takes us on a deep-dive into the wider culture, exploring the social conditions that created ‘Goth’ in the post-punk period. It examines the fall of Rome, Lord Byron and the romantic poets, European folk tales, Gothic architecture and painters, the occult to modern-day Instagram influencers.

The book is built mainly around the 80s post-punk Goth period featuring interviews with Andrew Eldritch, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, The Cult, The Banshees, The Damned, Einstürzende Neubauten, Johnny Marr, Trent Reznor, Adam Ant, Laibach, The Cure, Nick Cave and many others. …it looks at the music, style and the political and social conditions that spawned the culture and the great music, fashions and attitudes - clubs that defined it, and is also a first-hand account of being there at some of the legendary gigs and clubs that made the scene happen... - https://www.dolans.ie/gigs-events-live-music-listings/2023/6/2/an-evening-with-john-robb

LUNCH WITH THE WILD FRONTIERS
- A HISTORY OF BRITPOP AND EXCESS IN 13½ CHAPTERS
by PHILL SAVIDGE

The 2019 memoir about Britpop by someone who claimed to have influenced the birth of the movement, and met many artists linked to the genre and others active at the time, which might contain a few tidbits of interest:

"Phill Savidge is widely credited as being the main instigator of the Britpop music movement that swept the UK in the mid-1990s. Savidge was co-founder and head of legendary public relations company Savage & Best, the company that represented most of the artists associated with the scene, including Suede, Pulp, The Verve, Elastica, Kula Shaker, Spiritualized, Menswear, The Auteurs, and Black Box Recorder.

Savidge transitioned to female after the publication of her first book, Lunch With The Wild Frontiers, and is now known as Jane Savidge. In Lunch … she suggests that Britpop came about by accident because she refused to represent any American bands. She subsequently ended up with an extremely accessible, media-friendly roster that lived around the corner and included the most exciting press-worthy acts of the era.

Savidge’s unique experience at the epicentre of Britpop led to many intimate, not entirely self-congratulatory encounters with a who’s who of popular culture, including Brett Anderson, Damon Albarn, Roy Orbison, David Bowie, Joe Strummer, Lou Reed, Michael Barrymore, Richard Ashcroft, Andrew Lloyd Webber, Mick Jagger, George Lucas, Damien Hirst, and Dave Stewart, among others. But did she really Sellotape a cassette of Suede’s ‘Animal Nitrate’ single to a purple velvet cushion with a note that said ‘another great disappointment’ and then bike it to the NME? And could she and Jarvis Cocker really have fallen out simply because a journalist thought she was more glamorous than the Pulp front man?

If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to represent Hirst, Cocker, and The Verve in the same decade, and then wake up in bed with Keith Allen in the Ritz in Paris courtesy of Mohammed Al Fayed then you should read this book. Imagine David Sedaris with a hangover and an expense account and you’re halfway to appreciating the delinquent delights of Lunch With The Wild Frontiers." - http://jawbonepress.com/lunch-with-the-wild-frontiers/

And another book on the way, Adventures in Wonderland, by Paul Charles.

"Irishman Paul Charles is one of the leading music agents on the planet. Over the past 40 years, he has worked with some of the biggest names in music, at different times managing the careers of Van Morrison, Ray Davies of The Kinks, Gerry Rafferty, The Waterboys and Dexys Midnight Runners, and launching Tanita Tikaram – the teenage star whose debut album sold almost 5 million copies – into the world.

In addition, he has been agent and confidante along the way to The Kinks, Robert Plant, Tom Waits, Crosby, Stills and Nash, Don McLean, Lonnie Donegan, Rory Gallagher, Marianne Faithfull, John Prine, Carly Simon, Jackson Browne, Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, Christy Moore, Taj Mahal, Buzzcocks, The Undertones, Hothouse Flowers, The Blue Nile, Shakespears Sister, Ronnie Spector – and dozens more of modern music’s brightest stars.

In his role with the Asgard agency, he has also promoted shows featuring many of the leading artists in the world, including The Police, U2, Van Morrison, Dire Straits, Carole King, Meatloaf, David Gilmour, BB King, Emmylou Harris and John Lee Hooker.

Paul has also been involved since the early days with Glastonbury Festival, with his artists topping the bill on more than one occasion before he was invited by Glastonbury founder Michael Eavis to take on the daunting – and inspiring – task of booking the Acoustic Stage at the festival every year, a role he has carried out for the past 30 years.

Oh, and he is also a successful crime writer and a songwriter, whose work has ended up on albums by Kendrick Lamar (in his K.Dot guise), Talib Kweli and Norah Jones – as well as on the four original albums released by the Northern Irish band he started out with, Fruupp, and with whom he enjoyed the kind of mad adventures which only bands that fall just short of the big time have the very dubious pleasure of experiencing!

All of these extraordinary escapades, as well as his encounters with The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Police, U2 and more, are brought together brilliantly in his marvellous new book Adventures In Wonderland. A riveting memoir, it is the story of a music-mad kid from Magherafelt in Co. Derry, Northern Ireland who went on to work, and become friends, with many of his rock and roll idols...

Packed with jaw-dropping stories, including the time when he was almost burned alive along with his precious record collection, and pen pictures of the kind of stars we all want to know more about, Adventures In Wonderland is also one of the most complete insights into the world – and the business – of music that you will ever encounter. It is a must-read for every music fan – and for students of how the world of rock ’n’ roll works alike."
By pre-ordering a hardback copy of the book here, you can exclusively own a part of rock ‘n’ roll history

• Your hardback copy of the book will be signed by the author, Paul Charles (author of Adventures in Wonderland)

• You will receive a lucky-dip five one-off original 10x8 photographs of artists featured in the book, capturing a special moment when these were vital currency in promoting artists and their work

• Also, with each pre-order of the hardback copy from hotpress.com, you will be entered into a competition to win TWO tickets to the legendary Glastonbury Festival 2023.

- https://shop.hotpress.com/products/adventures-in-wonderland-hardback-edition

Last edited:
London Mayor Sadiq Khan has written a new book called Breathe. Has he mentioned Morrissey in it? I don't know. They have some thorny history. Someone who's read it might let us know. Here are parts of a review:

"Having won the election, the book then describes various initiatives and how they got started, how they were opposed and how opposition was overcome. Each chapter is named for an obstacle – fatalism, apathy, cynicism, etc – and uses a London based example to explore broader points. The chapter titled ‘hostility’ starts with angry residents grumbling about low traffic neighbourhoods, and encourages politicians to hold their nerve in the face of a vocal minority with the press on their side. Do the polling, understand the support that’s there, and push through. ‘Cost’ begins with a van driver who takes Khan to task over having to replace his diesel van, and then investigates Green New Deal approaches that include social justice and don’t place the financial burden on the poorest.

One of the nice things about Breathe is that it’s more entertaining than I expected. It’s full of behind the scenes anecdotes from a life in politics, written with a self-deprecating sense of humour...

...Khan is passionate about air quality, and the book really brought home to me the outrage of it. When we breathe polluted air, “we are being harmed by the very thing that keeps us alive: breathing.” Nothing is more important than breath, and so air pollution is a cruel betrayal." -- https://earthbound.report/2023/05/29/book-review-breathe-by-sadiq-khan/

I picked up The Truth About Love by Josephine Hart the other day. It's a literary-style novel centred around a tragic death; often poetic like Elizabeth Smart (At Grand Central Station...)

Hart also wrote Damage, on which the passionate 1992 film starring Juliette Binoche is based. Another book of hers is called Oblivion, where I'd thought she now lives. But then I checked her biography, and she was a real celebrity in her time -
https://www.herstory.ie/news/2016/5/22/josephine-hart-novelist-poetry-evangelist-theatre-producer

There's a new book out about Oscar Wilde, called Oscar Wilde on Trial: The Criminal Proceedings from Arrest to Imprisonment, by Joseph Bristow, published by Yale University Press, which is dissected in this extended review, worth a read in itself - https://drb.ie/articles/hounding-oscar/

Lisa Maria Presley has already written a song about it. it's called dirty laundry
There's a new book out about Oscar Wilde, called Oscar Wilde on Trial: The Criminal Proceedings from Arrest to Imprisonment, by Joseph Bristow, published by Yale University Press, which is dissected in this extended review, worth a read in itself - https://drb.ie/articles/hounding-oscar/
I was bored here recently and sat down to watch Stephen Fry's lecture on Oscar Wilde. I was very impressed by this lecture. I think you need to have a great talent to talk enthusiastically for 40 minutes about Oscar Wilde and not say a single thought about the work of Oscar Wilde. A modern idea of Oscar Wilde: he was bullied for having a gay history with that guy and that's why he became such a great writer.

:fire:Everyday is like Sunday...

Mozzerians may find plenty to digest in modern Scandinavian books mentioned here -
https://thebookerprizes.com/the-booker-library/features/vigdis-hjorth-interview-is-mother-dead

I'm on Hjorth's A House In Norway and like the pared-down style a lot.

A philosopher-novelist called Lars Iyer has a new book out that's set in Manchester, called My Weil, and he has obliged The Quietus with a playlist and some pretty unique comments about the city and its artists and inhabitants. Because Morrissey features in said rundown, I'm posting as a separate item in the forum - https://www.morrissey-solo.com/thre...-playlist-for-the-quietus-2-sept-2023.151418/

The Quietus article is at https://thequietus.com/articles/33361-lars-iyer-my-weil-playlist

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom