Reputations: do you want to keep the rating system?

Reputations - do you want to keep the rating system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kewpie

Subscriber
Since November 2011 Reputations rating system has been introduced.

Personally I don't like this feature because this is not the same as Slashdot's karma system.
As a forum moderator I do not give any ratings to other users because I have no opinion about other users' posts.

However, I'm aware that few minorities abuse the system.

From observations only handful users such as Uncleskinny, MORRIZSEY and Irregular Regular got the appropriate reputation ratings.

Also some users are fighting over this which shows it is not working.

Last edited:
Really shock to see two users are trying to sabotage this poll.

If you pay attention to site feedback forum, you know who they are.

Really shock to see two users are trying to sabotage this poll.

If you pay attention to site feedback forum, you know who they are.

Ahh, yes...because everything revolves around you.

How is anyone trying to sabotage the poll? As long as everyone is only posting here under one user name, I can't see how the system is corrupt. And how can you possibly know whose rep is accurate and whose isn't. I have given positive rep to Uncleskinny, MORRIZSEY, and even you, Kewpie, this very week. So my votes count, but my rep score means nothing?

Last edited:
How is anyone trying to sabotage the poll? As long as everyone is only posting here under one user name, I can't see how the system is corrupt. And how can you possibly know whose rep is accurate and whose isn't. I have given positive rep to Uncleskinny, MORRIZSEY, and even you, Kewpie, this very week. So my votes count, but my rep store means nothing?

Basically, she means if Skylarker, nothappynotsad, Iona Mink, you or I have given reputation to one another or anyone else, it doesn't count...you know, because she doesn't like us.

How is anyone trying to sabotage the poll? As long as everyone is only posting here under one user name, I can't see how the system is corrupt. And how can you possibly know whose rep is accurate and whose isn't. I have given positive rep to Uncleskinny, MORRIZSEY, and even you, Kewpie, this very week. So my votes count, but my rep store means nothing?

If you go to site feedback forum, you find two users started posting there after this thread was posted.

Some threads didn't have any reply more than a week which shows they posted them on purposely in order to bury this thread from forum index.

Basically, she means if Skylarker, nothappynotsad, Iona Mink, you or I have given reputation to one another or anyone else, it doesn't count...you know, because she doesn't like us.

You see, Viva Hate abuses the system. He often gives positive ratings to some users he likes.

Last edited:

This. Which is absolutely ridiculous. When I first started posting here I got the feeling she had taken offense to something I had said so I sent her a PM to apologize for whatever could have been deemed inappropriate. I told her I'd like to be on friendly terms and she never even bothered to reply.

If you go to site feedback forum, you find two users started posting there after this thread was posted.

Some threads didn't have any reply more than a week which shows they posted them on purposely in order to bury this thread from forum index.

You are starting to sound like CG.

You see, Viva Hate abuses the system. He often gives positive ratings to some users he likes.

Perhaps people he likes are likeable people who post witty, intelligent, and insightful posts, thus, deserving positive rep. Should he give those people negative rep and vote up the dull idiotic posts instead?

You are starting to sound like CG.

Perhaps people he likes are likeable people who post witty, intelligent, and insightful posts, thus, deserving positive rep. Should he give those people negative rep and vote up the dull idiotic posts instead?

You don't have to mention other user who is off-line right now.

Did you read my first post?
Clearly Viva Hate abuses this system so it's very unfair.

If moderators are able to detect rating system he would have been given an infraction for rating system abuse.

Last edited:

No...it would be totally ridiculous and unreasonable of me to give positive reputation to people who say things I like and agree with & give negative reputation to people who I don't like who say things I don't agree with.

You don't have to mention other user who is off-line in here.

Did you read my first post?
Clearly Viva Hate abuses this system so it's very unfair.

If moderators are able to detect rating system he would have been given an infraction for rating system abuse.

I read what you wrote and don't understand how he is violating the system. He is doing exactly what he is supposed to do with it. If you can't detect the rating system, how can you make the claim that he is abusing it?

You don't have to mention other user who is off-line in here.

Kinda like you don't have to mention user's personal information or talk about their IP address or about their previous usernames and what they did years ago...but you do anyway.

Did you read my first post? Clearly Viva Hate abuses this system so it's very unfair.

Explain to everyone exactly how one "abuses" a feature that is based solely on a user's subjective opinion of what they like and dislike...

But you can't Blanche, you can't detect the rating system...so you're pulling these statistics out of your rear.

I read what you wrote and don't understand how he is violating the system. He is doing exactly what he is supposed to do with it. If you can't detect the rating system, how can you make the claim that he is abusing it?

Defunct Slashdot karma was given by Slashdot mods (which I did not involve) for useful information / insightful / humours comments.

However, I find vBulletin rating system is totally biased. Since it was introduced I decided not to give ratings to forum users.

Only you can check your own rating from clicking "settings" on top right.

Some honest users like you give your name when giving rating, but some bullies just adding negative points without giving their names / reasons.

Last edited:
Kinda like you don't have to mention user's personal information or talk about their IP address or about their previous usernames and what they did years ago...but you do anyway.

Explain to everyone exactly how one "abuses" a feature that is based solely on a user's subjective opinion of what they like and dislike...

But you can't Blanche, you can't detect the rating system...so you're pulling these statistics out of your rear.

Look. We all can bat back and forth with other users. Kewpie's English is not as good as that of you or I. In my opinion, I think you should cut her a bit of slack. She plays the role of administrator and hall monitor fantastically well. Personally speaking, I think she does a great job, you don't see 90% of what goes on, and what is lost in translation is just that - lost in translation. She, and I - we do our best. Why would we not? My overarching wish is to do the best for the site. And to be nice.

P.

Defunct Slashdot karma was given by Slashdot mods (which I did not involve) for useful information / insightful / humours comments.

However, I find vBulletin rating system is totally biased. Since it was introduced I decided not to give ratings to forum users.

Only you can check your own rating from clicking "settings" on top right.

Some honest users like you give your name when giving rating, but some bullies just adding negative points without giving their names / reasons.

That system had its faults as well. If you didn't tow the line, you were moderated down. Lot's of group think going on. And if your posts were moderated down, you lost moderating privileges. And people are free to hide their karma now. They don't have to participate.

I'm off to bed now, but before I go I want to say - Kewpie, has been the single best presence on this site for a long time. You may not see it, visibly, but she is there every day batting away the pointlessness behind the scenes. She is not a native English speaker, so please, take that into account. As I said in another post, she makes a bigger contribution here than 99.9% of other users. I, for one, value her input.

Please be nice.

P.

I'm off to bed now, but before I go I want to say - Kewpie, has been the single best presence on this site for a long time. You may not see it, visibly, but she is there every day batting away the pointlessness behind the scenes. She is not a native English speaker, so please, take that into account. As I said in another post, she makes a bigger contribution here than 99.9% of other users. I, for one, value her input.

Please be nice.

P.

I was not aware of these things. Thanks.

As I said in another post, she makes a bigger contribution here than 99.9% of other users.

99.9 percent, huh? Wow. That's not insulting or anything.

We should all just leave then and just let her post... I wonder how long the site would prosper?

On a serious note, I have no doubt that it's a migraine-inducing responsibility to be a moderator and I have no major specific qualms with any of the admin staff...at least none I hold a grudge over.

But being a mod and sorting through a lot of shit -which again, I appreciate and respect- does not entitle her to do and say some of the things she does. Her sense of justice is arbitrary at best. I'm sure you'll either argue with that or not respond at all, which is fine, but I can cite many examples and so could a lot of other people.

I think you're in the minority when you bestow upon her the effusive praise that you do. But you look after your own...like the police do. And, like police, oftentimes the codes of conduct are a little more lax than they are for the everyday people who pay their salaries and keep them employed. Unfortunately, many police officers abuse their authority and are worse than the criminals they are charged with stopping. That doesn't make the original post they swore to uphold invalid, and it doesn't make their job in theory less important, but it all becomes meaningless when they use their privileged position to persecute instead of protect.

Case in point:

This is a perfect example of why she is a poor moderator. No self-respecting moderator or authority figure of any kind would make an accusation like this without instigation, a specific example of said abuse, and a constructive agenda to work towards in making the accusation.

Also...

When I first started posting here I got the feeling she had taken offense to something I had said so I sent her a PM to apologize for whatever could have been deemed inappropriate. I told her I'd like to be on friendly terms and she never even bothered to reply.

I had a very similar experience. Very simply she is not interested in letting things go or seeing things differently. No one that obtuse should be allowed any kind of power because clearly it comes at the expense of objectiveness.

Also...

You don't have to mention user's personal information or talk about their IP address or about their previous usernames and what they did years ago...but you do anyway.

Excellent point. That is totally unethical behavior on her part. Yet she's still deemed ( by another mod, not by the people she governs who actually are the lifeblood of this site) to be more important that 99.9 percent of the users here. Amazing.

I really don't care if we keep the rep system or not. I've gotten used to it. It has a built in anti-abuse mechanism; you can only rate any given user once within a certain cycle, and you can only give out so much reputation to any number of people per 24 hours. I've had lovely comments and horrible ones. I still live and breathe. Life goes on; I don't see that the issue is that important.

Having said that, I think that Viva, NHNS, and Realitybites have said anything else I might say on the subject; so I'll just second their opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom