So yeah, I'm not allowed to go to the Royal Oak show

As for being called an awful lot of dirty names, well, I'm flattered.

You're 18 or older, right? This is incredible. Dr. Phil is a pompous windbag.

If she really believes that we're all trolling YOU for sex on this forum, why does she still let her precious little underage man-child still wank around here? :p

Sorry, it's just so absurd. But no one must feel that more keenly than you, eh, Warrie? Lo siento, man. How about if you take her to the show again?

How did she take it when Mozzer sang,

But when you're tied to your mother's apron
No one talks about castration.

?

I doubt she noticed that line, Mel. :p She was busy not enjoying the flashing lights and trying to see over the tall person in front of her. I don't think she has problems with you guys per se, its just that she watches TV programs that lead her to believe that no one online is who they say they are. It's paranoia at its finest, really.

She really is only concerned about the me-driving-on-I75 thing. And i'm 18, have been for several months. I'd love to take her to the show but:

a) there's no way that she'd do well in a GA setting
and
b) she herself is scared out of her wits about driving the same stretch of road (no joke).

I'm sorry too. :)

i sympathize with you warroom, really i do. in my case, i'm from the Detroit suburbs, i live & work in Detroit (yes, the city proper) and my mom was afraid to drive on the freeways & to go into the city...thus she severely restricted what/where i could and could not do/go, because of what SHE was afraid of. i have been in your shoes many times. i would say don't jeopardize your school funding, as that is your ticket OUT.

the City of Detroit has a fearsome reputation but the crime is nothing like as bad as some people say, particularly in a totally gentrified area like Royal Oak. no....i do not carry a gun ;)

what about hiring a car service? Granted, it would probably be 2 or 3 times the cost of the ticket, but I suppose you'd be safe.....

Well, as much as it sucks, I can understand your mom wanting you to be safe. I'd say that you should go anyways, but if you were to be involved in some horrific pile up I'd feel very guilty.

That really sucks are you sure there's no way she'll let you go. Could you go without her knowing it. Are you living in a dorm?? There has to be a way for you to attend.

i sympathize with you warroom, really i do. in my case, i'm from the Detroit suburbs, i live & work in Detroit (yes, the city proper) and my mom was afraid to drive on the freeways & to go into the city...thus she severely restricted what/where i could and could not do/go, because of what SHE was afraid of. i have been in your shoes many times. i would say don't jeopardize your school funding, as that is your ticket OUT.

the City of Detroit has a fearsome reputation but the crime is nothing like as bad as some people say, particularly in a totally gentrified area like Royal Oak. no....i do not carry a gun ;)

exactly...detroit has a high crime rate but if you take out s couple high crime neighborhoods, it'd no that bad...warroom will not be close to those neighborhoods.

i've been robbed twice...once in ann arbor (where warroom was allowed to go) and once in the NYC subway...never in detroit or any suburb close to it.

royal oak is not gentrified...it was always yuppie and expensive.. slight difference

exactly...detroit has a high crime rate but if you take out s couple high crime neighborhoods, it'd no that bad...warroom will not be close to those neighborhoods.

i've been robbed twice...once in ann arbor (where warroom was allowed to go) and once in the NYC subway...never in detroit or any suburb close to it.

I'm allowed to go to A2 cuz that's where our family is from. We've never had any bad experiences there.

Warrie, is there a football game or any other event in A2 that night? Something you would meet up with friends for? Friends who would swearz you were with them all night when you really kept driving another 45 minutes?

Listen to me, I'm some boys' mom, trying to talk another Mom's boy into disobeying her.

My best fair advice is to wait, secretly get a ticket, and be a really good boy. Then ask your mom later. She'll cave. We always do.

i may have missed it somewhere, but warrie, do you have your own car? and when you go out does your mom keep close tabs on you, like call you every hour on the hour? if not, and you have your own transportation, cant you just be like "hey, im going to see a friend, i'll be back in a few hours." cuz thats not really a lie, cuz Morrissey is your friend. :D

royal oak is not gentrified...it was always yuppie and expensive.. slight difference

i see what you mean, it was never burned out or anything. But when i was in high school it was not fashionable or expensive at all, very sleepy, like Ferndale was 10 years ago. no expensive lofts or grody chain restaurants.....i was in high school 15 years ago though. :)

i have never experienced any sort of crime in Detroit. not even a harsh word here in "Murder City"...when i lived in Lansing briefly, i had been there 6 months when somebody broke into my car, took my stereo, my bag phone (those were the days eh?) and my MIX TAPES :eek: still haven't been able to recreate all of them. and some of the people in Lansing acted like they were afraid of me when they found out where i was from...not that i dissuaded them;)

I know this might not sound like the most fun thing in the world for an eighteen year old, but is your mom fun? My mother is hellish when we're at home, but if I get her away she's a blast.

Maybe...ask her to go to the concert with you? At a Morrissey concert, there are no 'oh my God, he's with XXX' moments...it's all very congenial and chill. Unless you're at the front with the drunk guy rushing the stage; then you have people like me throwing them down and stepping on them :)

Just an idea...

I know this might not sound like the most fun thing in the world for an eighteen year old, but is your mom fun? My mother is hellish when we're at home, but if I get her away she's a blast.

Maybe...ask her to go to the concert with you? At a Morrissey concert, there are no 'oh my God, he's with XXX' moments...it's all very congenial and chill. Unless you're at the front with the drunk guy rushing the stage; then you have people like me throwing them down and stepping on them :)

Just an idea...

She is. I actually took her to the Ann Arbor show on the last tour, and she had a blast! The problem is, she herself is not safe driving on I75 for whatever reason, i think she assumes that all of that auto plant traffic is still and won't listen to reason.

I'd definitely be buying a GA ticket, and with her being 5'2, I don't think that their be much point in her going with me anyway. ;)

Warrie, is there a football game or any other event in A2 that night? Something you would meet up with friends for? Friends who would swearz you were with them all night when you really kept driving another 45 minutes?

Listen to me, I'm some boys' mom, trying to talk another Mom's boy into disobeying her.

My best fair advice is to wait, secretly get a ticket, and be a really good boy. Then ask your mom later. She'll cave. We always do.

Therein lies the other problem. I am a sports writer for my local paper. The concert is on Friday nite. All high-school football games are played on Friday nite, and my job with the paper is too almost exclusively cover friday night football. Mom would become suspicious if there was no article by Mason Lowry on Saturday morning. :o

Warrie, could you come to Merrillville on Saturday? Not sure where in OH you live, but it's very easy to find on 80/94 at 65. What if I had an extra ticket? A really good one?

Oh, darn... I just did some Googling and realized that would be a long drive for you... but the offer's open.

No, but really...when my parents said I couldn't go all the way to Milwaukee to see him in 92, I just kind of, ran away for a bit. In fact, I "ran away" a few times.

sharron, you are awesome; what a cool story. :) A true fan, you are.

I LOVE stories like that. they make me believe, however briefly :D

Last edited:
Therein lies the other problem. I am a sports writer for my local paper. The concert is on Friday nite. All high-school football games are played on Friday nite, and my job with the paper is too almost exclusively cover friday night football. Mom would become suspicious if there was no article by Mason Lowry on Saturday morning. :o

you are a writer for a newspaper...think how ridiculous you would sound if you told your readers, "my mommy doesn't allow me to drive up to Detroit." i mean really... i've seen mama-boys before...my dad is one...your life is going to suck. be an adult and go.

sharron, you are awesome; what a cool story. :) A true fan, you are.

I LOVE stories like that. they make me believe, however briefly :D

Yeah, I mean why not? She's 18. They can't like call the cops really. She could just leave a note. And if they do call the cops, it helps and buys you time if you are out of state.;)

Back
Top Bottom