Southpaw Gramma' reissue

As a big Southpaw fan, twas nice to read Moz' impassioned defence of the album in the reissue notes.

Almost makes me feel vindicated against the onslaught!

As a big Southpaw fan, twas nice to read Moz' impassioned defence of the album in the reissue notes.

I still think the album, in its original form, was pretty bad. The songs were all good, but listening to it as a whole the "epic" bookends made it, in my opinion, very dull for a lot of people.
Just like I think 'Years Of Refusal' is a collection of good songs, but put together as a bad album - it's very unexciting to listen to, despite all the songs being enjoyable in isolation.

Welcome to the forums :thumb: Nice username :)

The best line in the reissue notes is:

Would a fat, snivelling child brought me more joy?

Is there still time to exchange Southpaw Grammar for a fat, snivelling child?

:lbf:

Ta, Teachers was probably a bit of an indulgence, but Southpaw is a standout track.

The liner notes were fantastic, that album was Morrisseys 1995, no explanation needed.

Personal preference is a funny thing.... I actually like Teachers quite a bit and I even felt the album in original form played quite well from start to finish. I do like the idea of the different tracks being added/substituted but only as an addendum and not as a total replacement.

I still think the album, in its original form, was pretty bad. The songs were all good, but listening to it as a whole the "epic" bookends made it, in my opinion, very dull for a lot of people.
Just like I think 'Years Of Refusal' is a collection of good songs, but put together as a bad album - it's very unexciting to listen to, despite all the songs being enjoyable in isolation.

i agree it never used to be an easy listen , i always prefered maladjusted

I have a very vivid memory of listening to the original while I was driving one day and I found myself skipping the opening track (I had heard it before, but was hoping to see what all the fuss was about) then getting bored of the final track and it frankly just left me feeling the WHOLE album was crap even though all the songs inbetween were rather brilliant. Starting and ending with, to me, a disappointment made the whole album seem it never quite got going.

I agree with them. This album is the hardest to listen that was made by Morrissey, although I have never left to find out hight quality sound/melody in this album.

I firmly dig my heels in and stand by Southpaw Grammar. It's a bit like the unloved child of the family, Only I feel sorry enough for it to love it.

I love Teachers... always have. And I think the album from start to finish in it's original form plays like a story.

It doesn't really make much sense to me in it's new form. I wouldn't have opened with Boy Racer.

Brings home to me that sequencing is VERY important.

I love Teachers... always have. And I think the album from start to finish in it's original form plays like a story.

It doesn't really make much sense to me in it's new form. I wouldn't have opened with Boy Racer.

Brings home to me that sequencing is VERY important.

As someone above said, funny about personal taste, because I too realised how a shuffling around of song order made this a MUCH better album :p

Interesting that Moz alleges the album was buried simply because he wouldn't sign a new deal.

I love the original but I really adore the remaster. The new tracklisting plus the bonustracks - outstanding!

Tags
subpar grandma
Back
Top Bottom