Stereogum: "Arcade Fire’s Win Butler accused of sexual misconduct, shares statement" - not another one!

OK but let's look at this initial post of yours-

I really don't understand the new way women have found to infantilize themselves with 'the age gap'.
You are age of consent. You consent. You were not taken advantage of, get over it.

How is a woman "infantilizing" herself by reporting on an incident or pattern of incidents with an older man? Should she claim he was younger, or that she was older? As far as I can tell she's just telling her side of the story. You are the one who is deciding she is "infantilizing" herself.

Yes. "Age of consent" means ability to consent; it does not preclude or excuse being taken advantage of, manipulated, or assaulted.

"Get over" being sexually assaulted/manipulated. You sound like a c***.
Looks like you deleted that part. Bye.

OK but let's look at this initial post of yours-

I really don't understand the new way women have found to infantilize themselves with 'the age gap'.
You are age of consent. You consent. You were not taken advantage of, get over it.

How is a woman "infantilizing" herself by reporting on an incident or pattern of incidents with an older man? Should she claim he was younger, or that she was older? As far as I can tell she's just telling her side of the story. You are the one who is deciding she is "infantilizing" herself.

Yes. "Age of consent" means ability to consent; it does not preclude or excuse being taken advantage of, manipulated, or assaulted.

"Get over" being sexually assaulted/manipulated. You sound like a c***.
yes, but if someone says they were taken advantage of, manipulated, or assaulted, and submits for evidence the fact that there is an age gap, then are they not infantilizing themselves? like, it sounds like these women are saying he took advantage of them on the basis of him being older and more successful than they are, and that's ridiculous. they presumably still should have their mental faculties about them and should as grown adults be fully able to extricate themselves from a relationship in which they have no complicated investment if they feel like they are being taken advantage of.

yes, but if someone says they were taken advantage of, manipulated, or assaulted, and submits for evidence the fact that there is an age gap, then are they not infantilizing themselves? like, it sounds like these women are saying he took advantage of them on the basis of him being older and more successful than they are, and that's ridiculous. they presumably still should have their mental faculties about them and should as grown adults be fully able to extricate themselves from a relationship in which they have no complicated investment if they feel like they are being taken advantage of.
I don't absolutely disagree with you. I just think that with so much of this #metoo shit there is a lot of grey area.

I don't absolutely disagree with you. I just think that with so much of this #metoo shit there is a lot of grey area.
there really isnt though. i mean, it's really quite simple. it shouldnt take a retroactive deep think in order to work out if youre entitled to victim priviledge or not.

like, if you felt like a victim at the time, you should've ended it. it wouldve been a great opportunity to show yourself you have self respect and can act with empowerment.

but you didnt. instead you allowed yourself to stay in a situation where you felt cheap and used. could it be because you ARE cheap and are only good for being used?

and now you're mad at yourself and so are thinking up all sorts of ways in which to imagine he robbed you of your agency: by being older, more experienced, more powerful, more successful, more blinding, more sophisticated, etc.

like im sorry, but if you act in all those ways, you're an asshole.

unless these woman go to the copshop the next day then i have no sympathy for them,its always last week,last month,last year or decades ago its never the next day.get their consent on video,might be a bit of a passion killer but if not the only sex these men will be getting will be prison sex with a hairy arsed guy.
prison,three meals a day and as much sex as you want.

unless these woman go to the copshop the next day then i have no sympathy for them,its always last week,last month,last year or decades ago its never the next day.get their consent on video,might be a bit of a passion killer but if not the only sex these men will be getting will be prison sex with a hairy arsed guy.
prison,three meals a day and as much sex as you want.

For many women who are sexually manipulated or abused, the process by which they understand things and heal and get their agency back can take months, even years. There is also the issue of being afraid of feeling shamed, ridiculed, or blamed for their own assault.

I mean, look at the comments in this thread. If you were a woman and some guy took advantage of you, would you feel real comfortable telling your story?

Pretty sure Skylarker is on record on this website in the past 18 months saying the exact opposite of what he's saying in this thread.

@rifke

"but if someone says they were taken advantage of, manipulated, or assaulted, and submits for evidence the fact that there is an age gap, then are they not infantilizing themselves?"

There's a difference between submitting the age gap factor for evidence and submitting it for context. Does the age gap by itself mean he is guilty of wrongdoing? No. Does it factor in as a possible means by which to manipulate someone? Yes. At least potentially, and especially when you factor in the rest of the circumstances being reported here...not by one woman, not by two women, but by FOUR women.

"it sounds like these women are saying he took advantage of them on the basis of him being older and more successful than they are, and that's ridiculous."

No. It sounds like they are saying he took advantage of them on the basis of his assumed feeling of entitlement to carte blanche regarding his sexual impulses being accepted. None of them are bemoaning their own age or level of success. They are simply saying that an older man with significant fame and wealth pressured them to be more sexual that they were comfortable with, and he used his fame and wealth as a selling point.

"They presumably still should have their mental faculties about them and should as grown adults be fully able to extricate themselves from a relationship in which they have no complicated investment if they feel like they are being taken advantage of...it's really quite simple. it shouldnt take a retroactive deep think in order to work out if youre entitled to victim priviledge or not. like, if you felt like a victim at the time, you should've ended it. it wouldve been a great opportunity to show yourself you have self respect and can act with empowerment."

Victim priviledge
? What priviledge would that be, exactly? The privilege of having your allegations take seriously and looked into and your right as a human being to petition for justice?

And theoretically yes, it's true that adult victims of sexual abuse/manipulation should ideally be able to just nip it in the bud; stand up, brush themselves off, end the relationship, and walk right out the door. Unfortunately it's not always that easy. Many women are terrified of, or at the very least intimidated by, their absusers and/or the consequences of reporting the wrongdoing. It's not for you or me to say "too bad so sad." Their lack of agency/taking charge of the situation does not preclude or excuse the actions of their abusers.

"instead you allowed yourself to stay in a situation where you felt cheap and used. could it be because you ARE cheap and are only good for being used?"

Jesus. So, basically what you're saying is that female victims of sexual predators, female participants in relationships where there is a power imbalance, and female victims of sexual/emotional/mental manipulation are just inherently human detritus and therefore they get what they deserve.

That's like saying that if you buy a used car from a salesman with a shady reputation, you deserve to be in an automobile accident when the vehicle craps out on the highway, because the liability is solely on you for willingly buying the car. I mean hey, you knew the salesman was shady. Broke your collarbone? Oh well. Deal with it, sucker.

"and now you're mad at yourself and so are thinking up all sorts of ways in which to imagine he robbed you of your agency: by being older, more experienced, more powerful, more successful, more blinding, more sophisticated, etc...like im sorry, but if you act in all those ways, you're an asshole."

Conjecture. You don't get to decide what the abuse victim's state of mind is nor what her (and it IS almost always a her) motives are for bringing the incident to light. Sadly, yes, you do find instances where after a relationship ends, of the parties (sometimes both) becomes bitter embellishes and distorts and even lies about the nature of the relationship and the actions of the other person. That does not mean that the claims shouldn't be looked into.

Besides, a much more plausible reason for retroactive abuse allegations is that the victim could not summon the emotional wherewithal to tell her story in an expedient way, and that even if she could, she felt defeated and muzzled by what she (rightfully or not) assumed the reception to her claims would be. Perhaps she is jilted and angry, and her claims are false...OK, yes. That happens. But maybe she's telling the truth and wants to feel listened to and validated; many women in these situations end up feeling like absolute worthless dogshit by the time the relationship is done.

And maybe they want to speak up, too, to warn subsequent women about the guy in question...because generally, absusers repeat their behavior over and over from woman to woman.

For many women who are sexually manipulated or abused, the process by which they understand things and heal and get their agency back can take months, even years. There is also the issue of being afraid of feeling shamed, ridiculed, or blamed for their own assault.

I mean, look at the comments in this thread. If you were a woman and some guy took advantage of you, would you feel real comfortable telling your story?
only 1.8 percent of rapes ever end up in court which is a shockingly small number for something so bad,it is usually due to lack of evidence and ends up one persons word against the other,all im saying is the longer you leave it then the evidence diminishes.

@Skylarker

There's a difference between submitting the age gap factor for evidence and submitting it for context. Does the age gap by itself mean he is guilty of wrongdoing? No. Does it factor in as a possible means by which to manipulate someone? Yes. At least potentially, and especially when you factor in the rest of the circumstances being reported here...not by one woman, not by two women, but by FOUR women.

well if you go that route then all sorts of things can be used to manipulate people. maybe win butler felt manipulated by the sexiness of these women. that too can be very powerful. that's why we have an age of consent, because there are all sorts of power dynamics out there, not just the obvious ones. and it's trusted that once you're of the age of consent that you will think to look at what you might be getting yourself into and if you dont, maybe sexual relationships are simply too complex for you and you should avoid them, or at least avoid having ones with famous rock stars (although i dont know.... that might be tricky...). 🤷‍♀️

No. It sounds like they are saying he took advantage of them on the basis of his assumed feeling of entitlement to carte blanche regarding his sexual impulses being accepted. None of them are bemoaning their own age or level of success. They are simply saying that an older man with significant fame and wealth pressured them to be more sexual that they were comfortable with, and he used his fame and wealth as a selling point.

yeah, and why did he assume himself to have carte blanche regarding his sexual impulses being accepted? because he did. because these women allowed it, because they accepted his sexual impulses, based on his selling point of fame and wealth. i mean, you're basically saying that these women were just so impressed with his selling point of fame and wealth that they accepted his sexual advances.

what im saying is, if you do that, you're not being taken advantage of. it's an exchange, is what im saying. he got to get his rocks off, and they got to think themselves mighty special for a lil while.

Victim priviledge? What priviledge would that be, exactly? The privilege of having your allegations take seriously and looked into and your right as a human being to petition for justice?

And theoretically yes, it's true that adult victims of sexual abuse/manipulation should ideally be able to just nip it in the bud; stand up, brush themselves off, end the relationship, and walk right out the door. Unfortunately it's not always that easy. Many women are terrified of, or at the very least intimidated by, their absusers and/or the consequences of reporting the wrongdoing. It's not for you or me to say "too bad so sad." Their lack of agency/taking charge of the situation does not preclude or excuse the actions of their abusers.

well, considering they probably didnt live in the same town as their "abuser", and probably wouldnt run into him at the local pub, im guessing it would've been pretty easy and not too terrifying to avoid him. a simple matter of not responing to his calls or 'sexts'. but thanks for the lesson in how women feel. also you know very well it's way cool to be a victim these days.

Jesus.

the lord's name is not for you to take in vain.

So, basically what you're saying is that female victims of sexual predators, female participants in relationships where there is a power imbalance, and female victims of sexual/emotional/mental manipulation are just inherently human detritus and therefore they get what they deserve.

That's like saying that if you buy a used car from a salesman with a shady reputation, you deserve to be in an automobile accident when the vehicle craps out on the highway, because the liability is solely on you for willingly buying the car. I mean hey, you knew the salesman was shady. Broke your collarbone? Oh well. Deal with it, sucker.

that's a poor analogy. a better analogy would be to say: that's like buying a used car that you know the majority of parts have been taken out of and put into another car, and that you should therefore know from the outset you're not gonna get much mileage out of, but it's shiny and you'll feel like a winner sitting in it. until years later that is, when you realized there was nothing lasting for you in it, just the thrill of having sat in it. at which point you'll say the salesman took advantage of you because he was older and had sold a lot of cars in his lifetime.

Conjecture. You don't get to decide what the abuse victim's state of mind is nor what her (and it IS almost always a her) motives are for bringing the incident to light. Sadly, yes, you do find instances where after a relationship ends, of the parties (sometimes both) becomes bitter embellishes and distorts and even lies about the nature of the relationship and the actions of the other person. That does not mean that the claims shouldn't be looked into.

in my mid twenties i was molested by my boss many times over. and i'll tell you what, i dont give a shit. i dont even tell the story, because it's not a story, it's a non-story. it had so little bearing and relevance on anything. these kinds of things when you're a grown adult (as opposed to a kid) are really not anywhere near as traumatic as you've been led to believe. the only way it would've been traumatic is if i had wanted or hoped for more from that person and had expectations that werent fulfilled. but i didnt. and so one day when i realized his friendship just wasnt worth it anymore, i stopped answering the phone. simple.

Besides, a much more plausible reason for retroactive abuse allegations is that the victim could not summon the emotional wherewithal to tell her story in an expedient way, and that even if she could, she felt defeated and muzzled by what she (rightfully or not) assumed the reception to her claims would be. Perhaps she is jilted and angry, and her claims are false...OK, yes. That happens. But maybe she's telling the truth and wants to feel listened to and validated; many women in these situations end up feeling like absolute worthless dogshit by the time the relationship is done.

yeah, right. or maybe they've simply convinced themselves in retrospect that they should feel more aggrieved than they did. because that's what being an empowered woman is all about these days, conjuring up righteous anger where it didnt previously exist. also being validated by others for your own personal truths is also super important.

interestingly, you know what would make ME feel like worthless dogshit? if i had given the best years of my life to someone with an odd-shaped cranium only to find out at middle aged that according to him all my "commodity" is gone. give my sympathies to your "life partner", by the way, because if there's one person i feel sorry for, it's HER.

And maybe they want to speak up, too, to warn subsequent women about the guy in question...because generally, absusers repeat their behavior over and over from woman to woman.

maybe they should talk to women about not being superficial and not committing adultery in the name of having sex with a rock star, instead. that sounds like a good thing to have a conversation about.

@Skylarker

well if you go that route then all sorts of things can be used to manipulate people. maybe win butler felt manipulated by the sexiness of these women. that too can be very powerful. that's why we have an age of consent, because there are all sorts of power dynamics out there, not just the obvious ones. and it's trusted that once you're of the age of consent that you will think to look at what you might be getting yourself into and if you dont, maybe sexual relationships are simply too complex for you and you should avoid them, or at least avoid having ones with famous rock stars (although i dont know.... that might be tricky...). 🤷‍♀️

yeah, and why did he assume himself to have carte blanche regarding his sexual impulses being accepted? because he did. because these women allowed it, because they accepted his sexual impulses, based on his selling point of fame and wealth. i mean, you're basically saying that these women were just so impressed with his selling point of fame and wealth that they accepted his sexual advances.

what im saying is, if you do that, you're not being taken advantage of. it's an exchange, is what im saying. he got to get his rocks off, and they got to think themselves mighty special for a lil while.

Victim priviledge? What priviledge would that be, exactly? The privilege of having your allegations take seriously and looked into and your right as a human being to petition for justice?

well, considering they probably didnt live in the same town as their "abuser", and probably wouldnt run into him at the local pub, im guessing it would've been pretty easy and not too terrifying to avoid him. a simple matter of not responing to his calls or 'sexts'. but thanks for the lesson in how women feel. also you know very well it's way cool to be a victim these days.

Jesus.

the lord's name is not for you to take in vain.

So, basically what you're saying is that female victims of sexual predators, female participants in relationships where there is a power imbalance, and female victims of sexual/emotional/mental manipulation are just inherently human detritus and therefore they get what they deserve.

that's a poor analogy. a better analogy would be to say: that's like buying a used car that you know the majority of parts have been taken out of and put into another car, and that you should therefore know from the outset you're not gonna get much mileage out of, but it's shiny and you'll feel like a winner sitting in it. until years later that is, when you realized there was nothing lasting for you in it, just the thrill of having sat in it. at which point you'll say the salesman took advantage of you because he was older and had sold a lot of cars in his lifetime.

in my mid twenties i was molested by my boss many times over. and i'll tell you what, i dont give a shit. i dont even tell the story, because it's not a story, it's a non-story. it had so little bearing and relevance on anything. these kinds of things when you're a grown adult (as opposed to a kid) are really not anywhere near as traumatic as you've been led to believe. the only way it would've been traumatic is if i had wanted or hoped for more from that person and had expectations that werent fulfilled. but i didnt. and so one day when i realized his friendship just wasnt worth it anymore, i stopped answering the phone. simple.

yeah, right. or maybe they've simply convinced themselves in retrospect that they should feel more aggrieved than they did. because that's what being an empowered woman is all about these days, conjuring up righteous anger where it didnt previously exist. also being validated by others for your own personal truths is also super important.

interestingly, you know what would make ME feel like worthless dogshit? if i had given the best years of my life to someone with an odd-shaped cranium only to find out at middle aged that according to him all my "commodity" is gone. give my sympathies to your "life partner", by the way, because if there's one person i feel sorry for, it's HER.

maybe they should talk to women about not being superficial and not committing adultery in the name of having sex with a rock star, instead. that sounds like a good thing to have a conversation about.
You're a bitter, sad, pudgy little dilettante who can't attract men. So you hate women who can attract men. And when something goes wrong for them, when they are abused or are taken advantage of or whatever, you actually feel happy. Because you're a f***ing miserable little troll and that's how f***ed you are.

You take the man's side, because although you hate men for ignoring you, your jealousy of women who can get laid makes you hate women more. Much more. Even a cursory reading of the drivel you call a rebuttal confirms that.

You're not capable of having this conversation. You aren't objective enough, and frankly you aren't intelligent enough. So from now on when I see you post here, shoehorning yourself into discussions and conversations that are over your head, I'm gonna go ahead and go back to doing what I've been doing, which is to just pass you by.

You know. Just like guys do to you in real life.

😀

You're a bitter, sad, pudgy little dilettante who can't attract men. So you hate women who can attract men. And when something goes wrong for them, when they are abused or are taken advantage of or whatever, you actually feel happy. Because you're a f***ing miserable little troll and that's how f***ed you are.

You take the man's side, because although you hate men for ignoring you, your jealousy of women who can get laid makes you hate women more. Much more. Even a cursory reading of the drivel you call a rebuttal confirms that.

You're not capable of having this conversation. You aren't objective enough, and frankly you aren't intelligent enough. So from now on when I see you post here, shoehorning yourself into discussions and conversations that are over your head, I'm gonna go ahead and go back to doing what I've been doing, which is to just pass you by when

You know. Just like guys do to you in real life.

😀
U mad bro?! :lol:

Honey bunny, look what he said to me!!!!!!! Are you as aghast as I am, honey bunny?!?!

@Skylarker I'm at work so you'll have to kindly wait for me to get home in order to thwomp you good with some links from my anon friend. I'm the meantime I keep laughing to myself about how mad you turned ON A DIME, and the gender specific attack you made on my person. Like I'll be helping a customer and I'll suddenly crack up thinking about. My only question is: when you get enraged do you turn all red like a ferengi? 😃

Rifke is at work. She’s chomping at the bit to get home and write to skylarker, who has said he’ll be ignoring her. I wonder if he’ll soften to her ‘links’ that supposedly will exonerate her and prove that she isn’t a misogynistic sourpuss. She definitely is misogynistic, but what can you expect, from someone who worships people who murder and rape for fun? She’s a sicko, and that is a fact. Richard Ramirez hated people, mainly women, but children too, but rifke ignores the fact that he hurt children too, as if it’s okay and cool even, to hate just women. Rifke is a real misanthrope, but her preferred victims seem to be females. She really can’t stand herself, so points her finger of blame towards others, to shake off the hatred. Like a dog shaking out water from its fur, she shakes her self hatred, and it lands splattered onto other women. She walks out of the mess, like a feline, arrogant and condescending. Others, take the heat from her self hatred. Would-be, self hatred, if she’d recognized it for what it was, and not turned it inside out.

I'm not misogynistic, and thst is proven by my sisterly defense of Skylarker's unfortunate life partner. No woman deserves that fate. If I could convince her to get away from him and help her start a new life I would.

Also shut your mouth about rich. You know nothing about him.

Rifke just replied to me. She said I know nothing about Richard Ramirez. She didn’t correct me on anything specific about him though, so, I guess I’m right about him…I just googled, and he did kill children, and began by killing animals, but to rifke, he’s just a fuzzy bear.

Back
Top Bottom