Striptease with a difference has crept into my top 10

I think he was writing silly, witty songs during this period to impress the sparks brothers so he could get them on board for a collaboration. When he didn't he went serious again (your arsenal)

I think he was writing silly, witty songs during this period to impress the sparks brothers so he could get them on board for a collaboration. When he didn't he went serious again (your arsenal)
I've never heard this before... do you have any references to support it?

I've always loved this song. Sure, it's on the silly side, but it's catchy as hell, and could easily have been a hit single at the time in my opinion (it's more commercial than something like Piccadilly Palare). I still find it amazing that despite all the various demo scraps that have been released as B-Sides/Extra Tracks over the years, this song STILL has never had an official release. Baffling.

‘went serious’? you mean like ‘You’re the one for me fatty’ ?

Name a better pop song with the word 'shufty' in it. :tiphat:

I've never heard this before... do you have any references to support it?
I don't. Just a feeling. He went from having 1 to 2 silly songs on every Smiths album, to 1 to 2 on Viva, to a bunch during the Bona Drag sessions and Kill Uncle, then back to 1 to 2 after.

Such A Little Thing
Ouija Board
Lucky Lisp
Disappointed
Get Off The Stage
Striptease
Mute Witness
King Leer
Pregnant For The Last Time

I don't. Just a feeling. He went from having 1 to 2 silly songs on every Smiths album, to 1 to 2 on Viva, to a bunch during the Bona Drag sessions and Kill Uncle, then back to 1 to 2 after.

Such A Little Thing
Ouija Board
Lucky Lisp
Disappointed
Get Off The Stage
Striptease
Mute Witness
King Leer
Pregnant For The Last Time
It's an interesting theory... I see it maybe just as a case of him being younger and more playful then. Since he doesn't create the music and the process starts with the music, I've always wondered how much it informs the lyrics he writes. I'd hoped he would talk more about his lyric writing process in Autobiography, but he didn't.

I personnaly think it is a brilliant song , full of wit, something that is sadly missed in his recent lyrics. It shows what a great lyricist he was, tackling subjects you would have never expected to be the theme of a pop song, and "Striptease .." is exctly this, a brillant pop song, full of fun and wit. Imagine he would have released this as a single and performing it at TOTP.....
I never understood whyit was shelved especially considering that there was even a remix created for it.

never heard it as an A-side.

‘… The lyrics take a darker turn when Morrissey sings about cutting the Queen and having a six that is "chewed." This imagery conveys a sense of mutilation and destruction, suggesting that the protagonist is willing to sacrifice elements of their identity, symbolized by the Queen, in pursuit of self-expression. The mention of being "stuck on shoes" implies a feeling of being trapped or confined by the expectations of others. In this context, the game becomes a manifestation of the protagonist's internal struggle against conforming to societal norms and finding their own path to self-fulfillment.”

🙃

Back
Top Bottom