The new football thread

It sounded like it was the end of the world on BT Sport. Some Burnley kids got in the way and had to be moved. I think they see it as serious cause fans spilled onto the pitch to confront players.

I’m sure it would have been frightening for little ones, but they were in no physical danger. The only little one who needed to be nervous was Sullivan.

The thing is this. West Ham United was founded in 1895. Many people may have owned it in that time but it didn’t ever belong to them.

If fans cannot vent their anger at the club’s mismanagement then what’s the point of the game? Personally I find the overreaction and emotion of some fans completely bizarre. A friend of mine is a Spurs fan. I refuse to watch Spurs matches with him. He screams at the television at the top of his voice. A corner kick at one end of the pitch is akin to a lottery win, at the other end a calamity to put alongside the Hiroshima bomb.

In some ways, however, I quite admire fans like him. If grounds were full of people like me every goal would be greeted with polite applause, but only if I was feeling particularly effusive.

I went to an Old Firm Game in August 2000. Celtic 6, Rangers 2. Forever enshrined in Celtic mythology as “The 6-2.” Succinct if not original.

It was pretty clear why they don’t allow both sets of fans to spend the entire day getting boozed up and then play at night. It was an extraordinary atmosphere, with chants of “f*** the Queen” from one end and “f*** the Pope” from the other. The hatred was visceral and real.

Not being a big drinker I left my Celtic supporting friend at the pub afterwards and went back to the hotel. After a couple of hours sleep I decided to do a bit of shopping before walking to meet him at a curry house a couple of miles away.

As I walked a couple of drunks started following me. “Hey, Jambo...” I walked on. “Hey Jambo!” I turned realising that Hibs and Hearts had also played that day and these must have been Hibs fans seeking revenge for their defeat to their bitter rivals Heart of Midlothian, or the Jam Tarts, as they are known. “Alright, lads?” I said in my very, very best southern English accent. A risk, but it was a risky situation anyway. “Hey,” they smiled realising I wasn’t local, “How are you?” “I’m well, you?” “Who’s your team?” “Southampton.” “Oh, we like them. Good for you. You have a good night.” and off they staggered. Only Portsmouth hate the Saints and you could search a long time to find a Portsmouth fan, let alone enough of them to duff you up.

Relieved at avoiding a potential kicking I walked on and ended up wandering along slightly aimlessly but in what I thought was the general direction of my destination. As I walked and darkness fell I noticed the shops pulling down their shutters and a hundred yards further on it became clear that wherever I was was battening down the hatches as if it were dusk in Transylvania.

My phone rang. It was my friend. “Where are you?” “I’m not entirely sure... Hold on. Let me find a street sign... ummm... Allison Street.” Stunned silence on the other end of the line. “Stay there. Don’t move. We’re coming to get you.”

In the ten minutes it took them to arrive I didn’t see another soul. At seven in the evening the locals were safely ensconced in their homes clutching their crosses and waiting nervously for the dawn.

Yeah, I think they need to realise the times have moved on and that early kick offs is not a must anymore. I remember that 6-2 game and I must have watched it on tv.

I missed the Edinburgh derby on Friday night during this weekend dubbed "rivalry weekend" by Sky showing 5 really big games more about hate than rivalry.

I’m sure it would have been frightening for little ones, but they were in no physical danger. The only little one who needed to be nervous was Sullivan.

The thing is this. West Ham United was founded in 1895. Many people may have owned it in that time but it didn’t ever belong to them.

If fans cannot vent their anger at the club’s mismanagement then what’s the point of the game? Personally I find the overreaction and emotion of some fans completely bizarre. A friend of mine is a Spurs fan. I refuse to watch Spurs matches with him. He screams at the television at the top of his voice. A corner kick at one end of the pitch is akin to a lottery win, at the other end a calamity to put alongside the Hiroshima bomb.

In some ways, however, I quite admire fans like him. If grounds were full of people like me every goal would be greeted with polite applause, but only if I was feeling particularly effusive.

Your mate sounds a lot like me although it changes from game to game. I have had games where I showed no emotion at all watching United. Against Liverpool I felt good when we scored but I didn't really cheer it or anything knowing full well we tend to mess up two goal leads which is very easy to do since the other side only needs to score one and it is game on again.

In other news Jamie Carragher will most likely get sacked by Sky after this incident after the game on Saturday:

With MeToo in mind and the fact he spat at a girl I cannot see him back at Sky and definitely not tomorrow night for the Monday Night Football studio. Someone like me should probably love that he made a fool of himself and risked it all for a silly argument with some fan on the road but I think it is a shame.

I remember when Gary Neville started at Sky and he looked like his suit was 5 times too big for him. He was a disaster in the studio so they found Jamie and the whole show got a huge lift. The banter between them but most of all the knowledge they have and the way they complement each other.

That dad who filmed that in his car while driving opens the side window where his daughter is sat to argue with Jamie Carragher is a disgrace. This is why men in the modern age are such weak people and they do whatever they want without thinking of other people.

Jamie Carragher absolutely hates Man United but I must say I love listening to him analysing the games and giving his view on them and showing the tactics behind it. Sky have far too many former Liverpool players on the payroll and sometimes the match day studio is crowded with them. On those days Carragher isn't half as good as he is in the Monday Night Football studio.

I took the train to London from Manchester with your set of fans in 1995 after United had beaten you 4-1. Train broke down near Euston so it really was a case of heave on to Euston as some old locomotive had to drag us the last bit.

Listened to upbeat Saints fans despite their defeat and arrived in the early morning to my hotel courtsey of a free cab compensation and had a shower and packed and travelled back home a few hours later after a great week of Moz and football.

Your mate sounds a lot like me although it changes from game to game. I have had games where I showed no emotion at all watching United. Against Liverpool I felt good when we scored but I didn't really cheer it or anything knowing full well we tend to mess up two goal leads which is very easy to do since the other side only needs to score one and it is game on again.

In other news Jamie Carragher will most likely get sacked by Sky after this incident after the game on Saturday:

With MeToo in mind and the fact he spat at a girl I cannot see him back at Sky and definitely not tomorrow night for the Monday Night Football studio. Someone like me should probably love that he made a fool of himself and risked it all for a silly argument with some fan on the road but I think it is a shame.

I remember when Gary Neville started at Sky and he looked like his suit was 5 times too big for him. He was a disaster in the studio so they found Jamie and the whole show got a huge lift. The banter between them but most of all the knowledge they have and the way they complement each other.

That dad who filmed that in his car while driving opens the side window where his daughter is sat to argue with Jamie Carragher is a disgrace. This is why men in the modern age are such weak people and they do whatever they want without thinking of other people.

Jamie Carragher absolutely hates Man United but I must say I love listening to him analysing the games and giving his view on them and showing the tactics behind it. Sky have far too many former Liverpool players on the payroll and sometimes the match day studio is crowded with them. On those days Carragher isn't half as good as he is in the Monday Night Football studio.

The entire video from "Spat-Gate":

I can’t stand Carragher. It’s the voice more than anything else. That version of the Liverpudlian accent is a relatively recent phenomenon and I hate it. Listen to interviews with any of the 60s Mersey bands, singers, actors and comedians and you simply won’t hear it.

I can’t stand Carragher. It’s the voice more than anything else. That version of the Liverpudlian accent is a relatively recent phenomenon and I hate it. Listen to interviews with any of the 60s Mersey bands, singers, actors and comedians and you simply won’t hear it.
Yeah, it's not exactly music to the ears is it?

I mean, I know that Jamie (typical scouse name innit?) would have been a criminal or hooligan or both had it not been for a pair of football boots getting in his way but he does know the game and have over the years in fact taught me a thing or two about football tactics and various details.

It was always gonna end with him or Gary Neville leaving the show cause the rivalry between them has been intense at times and they have had to quiet that down in that studio. Gonna be interesting to see what happens.

A man spitting at a female in 2018 being a white man and public figure is only gonna end one way.

Spurs sweating on news about Harry Kane and his injury today. Could decide their season and what is left of it.

images

It was a fourteen year old girl, apparently. He’s apologised so now we wait. If it’s still a story by Wednesday he’s probably finished.

It was a fourteen year old girl, apparently. He’s apologised so now we wait. If it’s still a story by Wednesday he’s probably finished.
He can't appear on the Monday Night Football tomorrow, can he?
His twitter is exploding.

Gary Neville stayed up all night in the studio to give his verdict on his performance covering every angle.

DYDgCcnWAAEeEwK.jpg

Stupid thing for Jamie to do.Lose his job?I don't think so.
But I have to say the whole baiting culture makes me sick.
I love the game and never say my allegiances on-line.
Not because I can't "take it"but because I find the whole thing distasteful.
There's no reason for it only to heighten tensions.It puts the game in a very bad light.
The media have a lot to answer for with the "attack"and "fury"nonsense.

The entire video from "Spat-Gate":

f***ing scum bag, should deffo get the sack. He’s always had that streak in him, but to to hurl a mouthful of spit into a little girls face is beyond vile, you could hear how upset she was, poor lass. As good a pundit he is, Sky need to sack the f***er.

Stupid thing for Jamie to do.Lose his job?I don't think so.
But I have to say the whole baiting culture makes me sick.
I love the game and never say my allegiances on-line.
Not because I can't "take it"but because I find the whole thing distasteful.
There's no reason for it only to heighten tensions.It puts the game in a very bad light.
The media have a lot to answer for with the "attack"and "fury"nonsense.

If it was a car full of blokes he might have had an excuse, but a kid? He’s been called into Sky for a chat. Perhaps he’ll be lucky and get a week off unpaid, but his fate essentially lies in the hands of Manchester United fans on Twitter, so unless Sky grow some balls and decide to back him he might have an empty diary quite soon.

Carragher has been suspended by Sky, and it seems many of those he has criticised down the years are getting their own back, Joey Barton amongst them.

The Guardian reported earlier Sky Sports pay Carragher in excess of a million quid a year. He on Sky News at the moment trying to save his skin.

Perhaps the West Ham incident isn’t quite as bad after all.

“Greek Super League suspended after the Chairman of Pan-Thessalonian Athletic Club of Constantinopolitans takes gun on the field to remonstrate with the referee after controversial disallowed goal against the Athletic Union of Constantinople.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43369490

Carragher has been suspended by Sky, and it seems many of those he has criticised down the years are getting their own back, Joey Barton amongst them.

The Guardian reported earlier Sky Sports pay Carragher in excess of a million quid a year. He on Sky News at the moment trying to save his skin.

Suspended eh? Should’ve been sacked. Sky just waiting for it to die down then he’ll back in the fold. Is it any less despicable than what Richard Keys, Andy gray, Eric bristow were sacked for? I remember Sky even came down hard on female presenter Charlie Webster for appearing in a Lads mag. They’ve just lost their bottle here. Same when Kirsty Gallagher got done for drink driving, if that was anyone else she’d have got the boot. Though, out of all then instances, what Carragher done is by far the worst.

As expected it became big news although perhaps a lot bigger than I first thought this Carragher spit incident. That face on Sky News was new to me and she really tore into him and proved to be very good at it.

Cannot miss Monday Night Football tonight even though it clashes a bit with The Paddy Crerand Show on MUTV. I am gonna watch MNF on a acestream link in glorious HD but anyone here who wants to see it as well can do so on this flash stream from 20:00 UK time free and legal for all:

http://www.crichd.org/sky-sports-premier-league-live-stream

Not sure if they will make some statement and who will replace him tonight.

Perhaps the West Ham incident isn’t quite as bad after all.

“Greek Super League suspended after the Chairman of Pan-Thessalonian Athletic Club of Constantinopolitans takes gun on the field to remonstrate with the referee after controversial disallowed goal against the Athletic Union of Constantinople.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43369490
That was shocking and they just had a major incident a few weeks ago when a manager was struck by something and the game was postponed. I dunno if this was that game played at a later date or not.

The MNF studio starts at 19:00 UK time and not what I stated previously.

Back
Top Bottom