The official ART thread

Andy Warhol's outtakes from 'Birth of Venus' (Botticelli)

venus.jpg

I really love how Warhol gives a whole new 'modern' dimension to works as these. The one above (left) is my favourite.

This is one of the threads where I lurked before I lost my mind and started posting here like a maniac. It should come back.

Wyeth_Baleen.jpg

Baleen, watercolor, 1982

My current favorite painter, Andrew Wyeth (American, b. 1917) is best known for Christina's World, which a lot of people seem to like. It's not a particular favorite of mine.

His other, bleaker, more subtly colored watercolors (like this one) and temperas are evocative of New England winters and life on the land. They don't reproduce well, but when you stand in front of one of the originals and look at the brush work it will assuredly rock your world. I want to live inside of them...

I'm a huge fan of Bill Brauer and Jack Vettriano, among others, so here is a sampling of Jack. The great thing about him is that he's completely self-taught. He said that he paints the world he'd like to be in. :) Not all of his paintings are of dancers, but they are sort of in that style, very 30s and 40s. Love him!
I also paint, but I only have my Depeche Mode art online. Check out the album if you like. Perhaps in the future I will add my other paintings.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluedressdevotedtomode/sets/72157594158514144/

Jack's stuff:

GameOn.jpg

13210~Dance-Me-to-the-End-of-Love-Posters.jpg

PF_915952~Waltzers-Posters.jpg

Last edited:
^I have seen these somewhere! I really like the style and color. The second one is great. The first is also intersting :D

Thanks Sir Alec. Jack seems to have 3 favourite topics: men and women in situations as you see in the first pic - sexual power play and such; dancing and general refined amusement; and wealthy people tending to their interests/lounging around and elegantly killing time. Scroll down to the bottom of this page to see more of his pictures:
http://www.portlandgallery.com/index.php?page=jackvettriano_prints
The silly thing is, the man doesn't even have his own website.

Reminds me of the pictures (and music) in the Pulp's Albums, most of all This Is Hardcore. Very classy.

shalott1.jpg

JW Waterhouse, 1916. "I am half sick of shadows," said the Lady of Shalott.

Can't you imagine her sitting in front of a computer instead of a loom?
Yes. Then I would hasten to tell her (in a private message, of course) of the get-away boat bobbing 'neath the willow's bough, and that I will be the one in the tan fedora hat singing "Tirra Lirra" (accent snarled with hayseed) beside the river, somewhere below the towers of Camelot. ;)

I really liked the painting Codreanu posted from 'Evelyn de Morgan'. Not only because she has the same first name but she paints really nice

angel_of_death-2large.jpg

Either those my mum paints or by a Norwegian painter called Elling Reitan.. I'll try to post a picture later:p

I was impressed recently with the 'decorative' art of Jack Casadamont -- these pieces recall, for me, some of the more enigmatic, half-obliterated, frescoes excavated at Pompeii & Herculaneum, only minus the numinousity, the metaphysical.

Carta Archéologia : mémoire track 11 D
105ayg6.jpg

Carta Archéologia : mémoire 22D
105cvl3.jpg

Carta Archéologia : track 10 D
105bru5.jpg

Tags
art no moz pix omg colorz wutizdat
Back
Top Bottom