Tony wilson dies!

lottie

Love Me Outside!
just heard on news 24,
is he the giy i think he is? the slagging off Moz guy?

just heard on news 24,
is he the giy i think he is? the slagging off Moz guy?

OMG i always thought that he was a bit of a twat but i actually liked him , he always made me laugh and cringe at the same time.
This is sad.
RIP Anthony H Wilson.

I don't like him very much, but have to admit that his enomous contributions to bring many musical talents.
RIP.

There was an Interview with Steve Morris, Richard Madeley (British tv presenter) Peter Saville & paul Morley. On Newsnight last night. The talk was how they with their working relationships and friendships hated him and Loved him in equal measures but all knew how he was important to british music and the music from Manchester over the past 30 years. Even Morris acknowledged that joy division probably won't have made it without Factory records.

I remember seeing him once at a manchester music festival (Cities in the Park: a memorial Martin Hannett) walking around smiling and talking to people because it was a huge celebration of bands from the city he loved so much.

sorry, being a non Ukér i don't understand that code, can anyone shed
a light, or explain please

thanks in advance

cp; step on - the happy mondays

FAC or later on FACT is the code and then number/code used on factory records releases.
so for example: Happy Mondays Pills, thrills and bellyaches comes under FACT 320
New Order, Technique FACT 275

I was very shocked when I found out last night, when my friend told me at about 3.30am last night. I couldn't believe it, I mean I knew he was ill but I didn't think he was actually going to die in the immediate future. I mean obviously I didn't know the blocke, but it's very sad. We got the DJ to play The Happy Mondays in tribute, me and my friend were annoyed that the people we were telling didn't even know who he was! I had to explain to a girl what the Hacienda was, kids eh?

I'm watching 24hr PP tonight, in his honour :(

FAC 452 will be Tony's funeral, no doubt.

Holy shit! I was just kidding, but in fact, his coffin was given the catalog number FAC 501!

23 August 2007
FAC 501
Colin Sharp, author of 'Who Killed Martin Hannett?' and regular contributor on the Cerysmatic Factory Message Board, writes about Tony Wilson's funeral:

It was a very well organised event that felt as though Tony himself had made the arrangements right down to the post modern, transparent plastic invites with a Fac-like number on them.

Those invited congregated at the Midland Hotel and it was clear from that point onwards that Tony’s two worlds - the day job at Granada and the passionate hobby that was Factory Records - were well represented. There were plenty of ageing Punk Rockers, post-punk conceptualists, younger artistes and many Media types, as well as family and friends.

At 1.30 everyone drifted to the Hidden Gem in the heart of Manchester. The press and public were kept back as the invited processed into the lovely old church. This was going to be a catholic requiem mass.

And indeed it was. Tony had returned to his childhood religion, which perhaps he had never really left ('once a catholic...') and at points it did seem somewhat incongruous, especially when the priest was trying to persuade us that Catholicism was the only true religion!

The eulogies were given by an Irish friend who spoke of Tony's childhood holidays in Ireland and his surrogate family; praise from Manchester City Council for Tony’s huge contribution to the cultural life of Greater Manchester; a moving, witty and sincere testament to Tony’s friendship from Richard Madeley and finally a laconic, dry, urbane and charming tribute from one of the few remaining partners of Factory Records - Peter Saville.

For me the most moving moment was when Tony’s coffin was carried off by the pall bearers who included Alan Erasmus and Tony's son Oliver, and Joy Division's epic, Hannett-produced meisterwerk - 'Atmosphere' - played with those prescient, poignant lyrics -

"Don't walk away…in Silence".

And the rest is Silence.

Many thanks to Colin for sharing his thoughts with us.

--

Tony Wilson was buried in Southern Cemetery - to the left as Rob is to the right (correct in religio-football terms). The coffin was numbered. FAC 501. The last catalogue number. So it goes.

--

The wake was held at One Central Street in Manchester City Centre. Jon DaSilva DJ'd with Arthur Baker.

Someone remembered that Hooky pointed at Wilson at Rob Gretton's memorial 'And You Forgotten' and said "Who's next? You! Nah, we all know it's f***ing Tony Wilson don't we!?", thus everyone avoided Hooky's gaze. Hooky pointed out that the invite-only memorial was "pretty boring" compared to Rob's free-for-all. Others bemoaned the use of 'Atmosphere' when Wilson had wanted 'Ceremony'.

I just watched 24 Hour Party People so this is fresh on my mind. Its time to pull out my New Order records.

Back
Top Bottom