Tour Etiquette

asmithchoxy

Repressed and Dressed
Folks, I am pleased to inform you that my first ever Morrissey concert (due to some unfortunate obstacles) will be in March.

As I've only ever been to shows with drunk patrons or sat in the back and I don't know many other Morrissey fans, what's the etiquette for Morrissey shows? Also, what's usually the schedule; support bands, Moz, autograph signing?

And do people usually attempt to attend sound checks? Are there after-parties? My show's in Atlanta on March 7th at the Variety.

I'm sure it's pathetic that I've never gotten excited (and therefore never had the chance to master the etiquette) for any icon shows. Sorry.

stay sober, stay energized, don't ever leave to pee, oh yea. and if it's general admission and you want to get up close, show up hours and hours in advance

Folks, I am pleased to inform you that my first ever Morrissey concert (due to some unfortunate obstacles) will be in March.

As I've only ever been to shows with drunk patrons or sat in the back and I don't know many other Morrissey fans, what's the etiquette for Morrissey shows? Also, what's usually the schedule; support bands, Moz, autograph signing?

And do people usually attempt to attend sound checks? Are there after-parties? My show's in Atlanta on March 7th at the Variety.

I'm sure it's pathetic that I've never gotten excited (and therefore never had the chance to master the etiquette) for any icon shows. Sorry.

Don't think the soundchecks are ever open to anyone.
Get to the front and prepare to be squashed to death- but it's so worth it! If you can hang on to the barrier you will be fine.
Support bands...endure them/enjoy them
Moz- 2 hours of joy
Autograph signing- not a chance.

you dont need to actually show up hours upon hours before the doors open to get close to the front just fyi.

if you do get there early enough you can possibly hear the sound check from a backstage door or something but as for going inside during that time...GOODLUCK! same with autographs. MAYBE the band will stop for one or two but moz, very slim chance unfort.

have fun! wave to me when im on stage.;)

Morrissey's audience tend to be very friendly, once approached. Don't be surprised to find yourself sharing your story of how you found him, when you became interested in him, etc. with the person standing next to you. I've met some really wonderful people at Morrissey shows, people I consider real friends.

The sound checks are closed, there is no backstage access, there is no official afterparty (that audience would be invited to). You can wait outside the back door to see him arrive or go back to the bus, but don't expect anything more than a quick wave. He just doesn't do those things. Occasionally, someone will get more than that, but it doesn't often happen.

However, for most shows, people will meet up before or after the show. Watch this thread for a roll call for the show you are going to, there is almost certain to be a gathering of some kind.

Another thing I've noticed about Morrissey shows is that they are very punctual. Support goes on within five minutes of start time, the intermission is pretty much exactly- I think it's twenty-five minutes. And I've never seen Morrissey start more than five minutes late. The whole thing is very professional.

asmithchoxy, I find this ettiquette works at any concert:

lighten up, dont let others get to you or ruin your enjoyment of the show. dont be bothered if you're not up against the stage. go with the flow. is the crowd all singing along loudly? then sing along too. is it a quiet song and everyone's listening raptly? then dont sing along loudly. if its a seated section, and no one's standing, then stand and clap between songs, but dont block someone's view. if its a seated section and everyone's standing, dont sit and get huffy because you cant see.

by just going with the flow, I've been able to let go any pet peeves and just enjoy the show on stage. if someone gets overly jumpy or cuts in front of me when there's no space left at all, I bring a sharpie, just hold it in front of me discreetly, and let their shirt get all marked up. I've only done this three times, but instead of getting angry, it makes it a lot more fun.

How long does the average gig last? Thinking of transport and suchlike...

How long does the average gig last? Thinking of transport and suchlike...

probably 90 minutes from moz hitting the stage to lights up. back in 91 & 93, both shows I saw were 75 minutes from the time he hit the stage to lights up. They were good shows, but I'd be pissed nowadays to pay $50 bucks for a 75 minute show.

I'm sure someone ran the numbers but on his last US tour, he was averaging about 21 - 22 songs a night, depending on how early in the tour you caught him.

I have a question too since I will also be seeing him for the first time as well. I'm thinking of bring a friend of mine with me, but she is fifteen years old and petite. It's a general admission show. Would it be safe to bring her with me? Since I read the above mention of squishing crowds, I'm a bit concerned about whether I should bring her or not. :p

if it's gen, show up a good 4 hours early if you want up front. if it's assigned seating, wait 'till the last minute so you can avoid his usually horrible opening act and those TERRIBLE intro videos. i'm praying he's moved on to something else this tour

stick to Boz's side of the stage (your left) where most of the action is

the crowd is usually squishy, but not overly violent until the encore and the shirt toss(es), but easy enough to ride out. also, don't go for the shirt unless you're ready to fight for it

not a chance on Moz-ographs, but there's a slim chance you can catch one of the lads. if you see some goober walking around with a bunch of towels wrapped around his head, that's Morrissey and he's got his cloak of invisibility on

and have fun :)

I have a question too since I will also be seeing him for the first time as well. I'm thinking of bring a friend of mine with me, but she is fifteen years old and petite. It's a general admission show. Would it be safe to bring her with me? Since I read the above mention of squishing crowds, I'm a bit concerned about whether I should bring her or not. :p

Just don't try to get way up front and you'll be OK. It's not like the entire crowd is one big mosh pit. There will be plenty of people standing in the back 2/3's of the room who will just be standing and grooving to the music.

As far as timing, I would guess in the range of 75 to 90 minutes. Unless he's started eating whatever Springsteen eats, I wouldn't expect him to start doing shows any longer than 90 minutes (but we can always hope.)

As others noted, his shows start and end on time.

Lastly, no one has really addressed the stage invasion issue for the original poster. Depending on the venue, fans will inevitably try to get on stage and hug Moz. In some clubs it's pretty easy and maybe 5 to 10 people will make it up during the course of the show. In other places the barrier and security are too much to surmount and no one will make it, but certainly some will try. (The last time he played Boston, I stood on the arm of a seat in the front row and had Moz's hand, and he was basically pulling me up, when the security guy grabbed me and pulled me back. So close!)

P.S. Staying sober? Bad idea, unless you are driving home.

As far as timing, I would guess in the range of 75 to 90 minutes. Unless he's started eating whatever Springsteen eats, I wouldn't expect him to start doing shows any longer than 90 minutes (but we can always hope.)

As others noted, his shows start and end on time.

Lastly, no one has really addressed the stage invasion issue for the original poster. Depending on the venue, fans will inevitably try to get on stage and hug Moz. In some clubs it's pretty easy and maybe 5 to 10 people will make it up during the course of the show. In other places the barrier and security are too much to surmount and no one will make it, but certainly some will try. (The last time he played Boston, I stood on the arm of a seat in the front row and had Moz's hand, and he was basically pulling me up, when the security guy grabbed me and pulled me back. So close!)

P.S. Staying sober? Bad idea, unless you are driving home.
why would staying sober be a bad idea? of course you should if you are driving but why cant you just go to a show and actually enjoy it sober? actually remember everything about it the next morning. and most importantly not spill beer on me!

stage invasion are possible in any venue. where there's a will there's a way..trust me!

I like to be close at gen admission shows but I bring my wife, and dont usually like to be fighting and get squished. always depends on the venue's setup (is it a wide place or narrow?), but usually obviously it'll be packed in the front and middle. I usually do just fine about 10 yards back to a side, usually the opposite side of where most people are coming in from. There its usually crowded, but not packed against someone, so you can get a beer and come back, my wife who's a little shorter wont have someone three inches in front of her, so she'll still be able to see. But esp bringing a 15 year old, dont try and get up by the stage if she's not so tall, there'll be room close enough up front without having to get squished, and you'll still be really close enough to tell what color his eyes are. I think too many people obsess about being as far up close as possible. Step back like ten feet and you'll still be close with less hassle.

Back
Top Bottom