Vince Taylor's influence on Morrissey

King Leer

Leering since '97
I don't believe there's been a thread on this before, thought I believe Vince Taylor video footage has appeared in Morrissey's pre-concert selection, is that right?

Has Morrissey ever mentioned him in an interview? Surely he's part of Morrissey's quiff kingdom.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris is about Vince, who famously got a record deal there after a lack of love in the UK. In the video Morrissey might be referencing Taylor's Kohl-like eye makeup and slightly "swingin'" 60s shirt, neck-wear. I can't see the track as being autobiographical as Morrissey has no great bond with Paris/France, even the way he briefly did with Rome. Happy to hear other opinions.

Also, while Wikipedia mentions playwright Synge and Nancy Sinatra as influences on the title for "The Last of the Famous," could the "Playboys" come from Vince's old band?

I don't believe there's been a thread on this before, thought I believe Vince Taylor video footage has appeared in Morrissey's pre-concert selection, is that right?

Has Morrissey ever mentioned him in an interview? Surely he's part of Morrissey's quiff kingdom.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris is about Vince, who famously got a record deal there after a lack of love in the UK. In the video Morrissey might be referencing Taylor's Kohl-like eye makeup and slightly "swingin'" 60s shirt, neck-wear. I can't see the track as being autobiographical as Morrissey has no great bond with Paris/France, even the way he briefly did with Rome. Happy to hear other opinions.

Also, while Wikipedia mentions playwright Synge and Nancy Sinatra as influences on the title for "The Last of the Famous," could the "Playboys" come from Vince's old band?
i would disagree a lot of his favourite actors/actresses//singers and authors: andre gide, genet, bardot, hardy etc comes from there and dont forget oscar wilde! i also think of a few promo shots,,,
there are surely more french links to morrissey beside that..but my mind is blank right now..guillaume may help..concerning "momo" and france;)
edit mozioedia and www.p http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/influence.htm is g a good help for that all things french

Last edited:
Sorry, I wasn't referring to French artists that have influenced him (which are numerous), more his personal connection to the city/country, physically if you will. He's barely spent any time of his life there. The lyrics to I'm Throwing being about Morrissey himself just never seemed feasible to me the way that a song like Christian Dior did, for example. But yes, I'd like to hear from some French fans.

i would disagree a lot of his favourite actors/actresses//singers and authors: andre gide, genet, bardot, hardy etc comes from there and dont forget oscar wilde! i also think of a few promo shots,,,
there are surely more french links to morrissey beside that..but my mind is blank right now..guillaume may help..concerning "momo" and france;)

Sorry, I wasn't referring to French artists that have influenced him (which are numerous), more his personal connection to the city/country, physically if you will. He's barely spent any time of his life there. The lyrics to I'm Throwing being about Morrissey himself just never seemed feasible to me the way that a song like Christian Dior did, for example. But yes, I'd like to hear from some French fans.

ah i see.

may i note france beside the benelux states was one of the few european countries outside the Uk he tours on an constant basis...-even the smiths played there..

he also played there 2002 and 2004.i would had loved to had see him in germany at tese years (amazing setlist!!!)but he didnt play here at that time.ididnt go into the internet nor had a credit card a-so it would have been difficult to get a ticket for france back then

Last edited:
I assumed Morrissey liked Vince Taylor for his style rather than his music:

alainq.jpg

there was a really interesting article on Vince Taylor and his drummer in Mojo magazine several months ago..very sad story..the first time I saw that video in 2006 I swore it was an Elvis imitator.

damn. I wish I hadn't watched the You Tube clip, Uncleskinny! That just kicked up my desire for some Moz shows a few notches!

The waiting is the hardest part....

Yeah, saw/listened to all that today, which made me think of Moz connections.

Agree with other poster about style over content (Nice scan of Alain with Moz caption!) Morrissey wasn't focused on James Dean's acting either.

Vince Taylor was the inspiration for Ziggy Stardust - really. There was a programme about him on Radio 4 today, which you can hear again via the link. A bit more here. Then of course there's this...

...which Morrissey used in his pre-gig reels. He looks like a cross between Morrissey, Elvis and Alvin Stardust here. I think.

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been wondering about this too. Mr. Goddard didn't include an entry on Vince Taylor in Wikipedia much to my surprise. Did I read somewhere else about his influence on Morrissey? Possibly in Len Brown's book, although a quick flick through the index also reveals an absence of Vince Taylor's name.

Can anyone clear up did Vince write "Whole lotta shakin" before or after Jerry Lee Lewis's "Wholla lotta twistin"? The two songs are almost identical.

Jerry Lee Lewis released Whole Lotta Twistin' Goin' On in 1962

Vince Taylor released Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On in (I THINK) 1961

A caricaturist named Charles da Costa did a great one of V.Taylor (which appeared in a book of rock icon caricatures) which you can see here:
http://chadacosta44.blogspot.com/2009/09/vince-taylor.html

It's not far off our kid -- maybe we can all pitch in and have him do a Morrissey one.

And hand in glove, can you post a large version of your avatar here (or in frink, if that's more appropriate) -- never seen that picture!

241.jpg

324.jpg

I've been wondering about this too. Mr. Goddard didn't include an entry on Vince Taylor in Wikipedia much to my surprise. Did I read somewhere else about his influence on Morrissey? Possibly in Len Brown's book, although a quick flick through the index also reveals an absence of Vince Taylor's name.

Can anyone clear up did Vince write "Whole lotta shakin" before or after Jerry Lee Lewis's "Wholla lotta twistin"? The two songs are almost identical.

Vince is mentioned briefly in the Bowie section (cos of Ziggy influence) and a footnote about the twist song which it names as being titled "There's A Lot Of Twistin' Goin On" from 1961.

Jerry Lee wrote Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On before, 1957 says Wikipedia. It's one of the absolute classics of Sun Records.

Vince was mainly a rip off merchant except for the original Brand New Cadillac which The Clash covered: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWYDIj3jJOU&feature=related

Back
Top Bottom