what smiths songs grew on you?

mike joyce

i was never really fond of i know its over and never had noone ever
but now i love both

what about everybody else?

after 5 years, how soon is now still hasn't grown on me.

Reel around the fountain, I saw the smiths perform that on TV and I just fell in love with it after that.

While I think that HSIN? is a decent song, I don't understand why it's so revered by critics.

Lyrically, it's not exactly weak but hardly does Morrissey's genius justice either.

Of course, the music is great but again, I don't think it's Marr's finest composition ever. For example, I'd say that lower-key songs like Paint A Vulgar Picture and Stop Me are far superior to HSIN? both musically and lyrically.

So, which Smiths tracks have grown on me over time? Well when I first bought my copy of Strangeways, I always skipped Paint A Vulgar Picture for some reason. Then, one day, I just decided to let it play. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks it's an epic track!?

As far as Moz-Solo is concerned, I have very recently discovered Break Up The Family and Hold On To Your Friends. Both those songs mean a lot to me at the moment.

I'd grown up with George Formby's version of 'Girlfriend in a Coma' so when I heard The Smiths' version it was quite hard to take.
However, it has finally grown on me after all these years, (although I sincerely hope poor old George isn't at this minute spinning in his grave at my comments.)

"Jeane" - hearing Sandie Shaw's version improved it markedly for me, and over time I've grown to love that version

"Miserable Lie" - well, the BBC version, anyway. I couldn't stand it for a long time, but now - I don't know why - I can't stop listening to it

"Barbarism Begins at Home" - I used to think it went on for far too long, but I've leared to appreciate it for what it is

"Shakespeare's Sister" - another song I couldn't stand for a long time, but I can see now how underrated it is

Well I Wonder.
Miserable Lie.
Unhappy Birthday.
You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby.
Suffer Little Children.

Jeane is one of my favourites actually, loved it from the moment I first heard it, and it's a testament to how good The Smiths' other work was that it never made an album, IMO.

Ones that still haven't grown on me are probably 'Girlfriend In A Coma', 'There Is A Light...', and 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'.

I certainly agree about Miserable Lie. Since I heard it live on the "Girl Afraid" bootleg, I can't get it out of my head.

I never did see the appeal of Meat is Murder. Sounds very boring and over-the-top, even for Moz.

Other growers would be I Don't Owe You Anything, Reel Around the Fountain, Work is a Four-Letter Word, and Death of a Disco Dancer.

Nice thread, mike. Glad to see that you haven't been banned! :)

Still ill. It never stood out to me before but it's in my top 3 smiths songs now! Plus You Just Haven't Earned It Yet Baby, Hand in Glove and These things take time.

How Soon Is Now?

Paint a vulgar Picture
Now I adore it.
And as soon as I re-form a band, we're doing an avant-garde cover along with a dramatic tableau-esque performance of it!!!!!
It should be great.
Dead stars and all
And menaces!!!
I can see it all!!!!!!!!

Listening to 'Rank' made me see how amazing 'Still Ill' is

Errrm...same for 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' but I don't think that's in the same league as 'Still Ill'

Errrrrrrrm...I'm sure there are more

Oh aye, I reckon The Smiths is my second-favourite album but it was only after seeing Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others (the play) that I noticed The Hand That Rocks The Cradle and now it's one of my favourites ever...

I grew to like Never Had No One Ever, but it's not one of my favorites. I agree with lilybett about Still Ill on Rank. I always liked the song, but it sounds amazing live. It's my fave on Rank.

Back
Top Bottom