What the heck??

Yes :D don't you?

I still want to hear Morrissey sing something off the Pretenders first or second records. They are hard to find downloading and the CD's are expensive for some reason, but it's easy to find their greatest hits.

this looks like a good deal if you have a record player.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
My issue with the Ronson/Merriweather "Stop Me" is just that there's no apparent humor in it - the original has Morrissey singing tongue-in-cheek and in character, while Merriweather just turns on the soul full blast.

I don't know their intentions; for all I know, both of them totally get the spirit of the original, and just thought it'd be neat to sing one of the more satirical Smiths songs as if it were "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" and see if it worked. To my ears it doesn't, though; it just sounds bathetic.

I last heard this song while trouserless in the fitting room of a large clothing store. There was no escape.

Yes but that was the point. I do not think that it was a cover in so much as a reworking in the fact that he takes "Keep Me Hanging On" at the end. That is why the soul is turned on.

On a side note...People who troll take note.... THIS is how you disagree with someone in a productive way. Instead of saying something along the lines of "It sucks because I say so", faroffplaces actually comes up with critical reasons why they do not like the track.

Yes but that was the point. I do not think that it was a cover in so much as a reworking in the fact that he takes "Keep Me Hanging On" at the end. That is why the soul is turned on.

On a side note...People who troll take note.... THIS is how you disagree with someone in a productive way. Instead of saying something along the lines of "It sucks because I say so", faroffplaces actually comes up with critical reasons why they do not like the track

Yes take notes

On a side note...People who troll take note.... THIS is how you disagree with someone in a productive way. Instead of saying something along the lines of "It sucks because I say so", faroffplaces actually comes up with critical reasons why they do not like the track.

Don't tell me how to be a troll. I know how to do my job, Buzzkilletta.

Daniel Merriweather makes me cringe. "Stop Me" should not be sung in any r&b like way, ever.

Cringe worthy alright....

Couple of points

Thought the Ronson cover of Stop Me (he doesnt use the full title) was excellent. I really like the echoy sound he created and the guys voice really works. I dont think they tried too hard to convey the meaning of the lyrics and thats fine - i think they were much more interested in the sound and i think they did a good job. Also the video was superb. Nothing to do with the song but superb!

Regarding cover versions - i think there have been a few. Has anyone heard the Walter Walter version of Ask? Or how about the Thrills version of Last night i dreamt somebody loved me. Or what about Placebo covering Bigmouth Strikes Again? I think there have been a few good ones and if nothing else they do have the bonus of spreading the Morrissey word to more people.

Finally - be nice to each other people.:)

It was interesting for me, that when the song (stop me) was played on the radio at work and people would sing along to it, not knowing who wrote it in the 1st place. I think it is still good that the song is constantly played, even if it isn't the original.

It was on the BBC3 program drop dead georgous

I suppose it be on programmes like that, you know for teenagers etc ( i wonder if it's been used on Hollyoaks?).

oh 'please', er well done on the 1000 posts.

Back
Top Bottom