What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

41AInGgk6eL__SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reading falling man my second to last Delillo book and also one of my favorites. Finished libra and decided to skip underworld since I don't have large blocks of time to just sit and read anymore and that book is fairly long. One more to go and I'll need another author. Think I'll read something new if not a new author

Reading point of omega. It's the last of my delillo collection and it's short so I need a new book and soon

At the moment, I am reading De Profundis once again and other various letters and poems by Wilde.

Anyone have a jay mcinerney novel recommendation that's not bright lights big city

Went for brightness falls as a hardcover was only fifteen. Also got a hardcover volume of the rules of attraction and the informer. The first two are supposed to be first editions while the informers cost a penny. Now I only need a hardcover of psycho and my hardcover Ellis collection will be complete

I'm reading The Monkey's Mask by Dorothy Porter. I'm stunned.

Here's a poem:

I'm female

I'm not tough,
droll or stoical.

I droop
after wine, sex
or intense conversation.

The streets coil around me
when they empty
I'm female
I get scared.

Finished inherent vice and will start brightness falls today. Hoping for things as I've never read this book before

I'm reading The Life and Times of Lesley Gore by Trevor Tolliver, but to be frank, it is a drudgery to get through. I like Lesley Gore's music, but for a book to be written by someone who never lived in that time period (no insight), it doesn't add anything I don't already know, and for the author to write in such a dry, I-just-finished-college-lit-class-way, as well as the fact I find it stilted, it is a let down currently, and there I was expecting a good written biography about one of my favorite singers who recently passed. Little did I know...

About a hundred pages into brightness fall and it's pretty good to my relief. After some reader reviews I was a bit worried and honestly the open is a bit overly saccharine but it got much better once the discord set in. The reviews of his books all kinda seemed a bit off though even the ones for bright lights big city. They all said "great send up of eighties culture, satire about eighties excess" but not one I read mentioned how good and emotionally wrenching his description of a man having a nervous breakdown over his grief of a lost loved one. It's like they all focused on the surface and missed the point

Welcome to the world

True enough but I expected at least to read one review from a group or reader reviews that would at least mention the death of his mother as being the route cause of his distress as it changes what people think the book is about when it finally drops at the end. It wasn't about drug addiction or financial or cultural insecurity of the times it wasn't about model wives walking or sexual fantasy it was about something very basic and timeless. All those other topics were just ways he coped and things he used to hide in Denial about the death of his mother. Sure I understand that a lot of people just focus on the surface but I didn't think it would be so universal. So many of them, all of them, just seemed like they were regurgitating press they had read about the book. In the end I thought it was a very personal kind of story which made it different from say his most compared contemporary Ellis who I think writes much more about society and focuses more on social commentary by writing extreme unrealistic characters to emphasize his points. Bright lights in contrast was a much more realistic grounded story that hits home in an almost sentimental way. Anyway, I just found it weird that almost all the reviews i read about it failed to mention the biggest point in the story, the universal timeless human tragedy that puts the rest of it in frame

Reading point of omega. It's the last of my delillo collection and it's short so I need a new book and soon
Don Winslow's 'The Power of The Dog' and it's sequel 'The Cartel' are great fiction books about the 'war on drugs' and focuses on a DEA agent's obsession with bringing down the leader of a cartel. Very well written and an absolute page turner that you won't put down.

Thanks for the recommendation and I'll look into them. I ordered Delillos Mao 2 to keep that trend going and just got two mcinerney novels to tide over me over for now. I'm also thinking of re reading James Washington square. He's a fav of mine. Always nice to be told of new novels though

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom