What's Everyone Reading At The Moment?

yyyyyyyyyi.jpg

I finished this last night.

MagickAleisterCrowley_0.preview.JPG

Don't read it, it's no good at all. Can't believe I actually finished it.

This photo: :p

CA112E1.JPG

I love Notes from the Underground! One of my favourite novels and Dostoevskys best together with The Brothers Karamazov. I'm going to see a stage adaptation of the former next month which I'm really looking forward to.

At the moment I'm reading Die Blendung by Elias Canetti. One of the strangest novels I've ever read.

I tried reading the Brothers Karamazov, I thought it was a bit boring :o but I will read more from this man. I really want to read the Idiot.

while I have found this library to be severelyn lacking in several of my fave authors :( there is a surprising number of Paul Auster books :eek:
one of which I just check out:
oracle-night.jpg

A collection of Icelandic ghost stories. As hardcore as it gets :eek: Highly recommended to anyone into folklore, supernatural, or both.

Sounds very interesting. Is it in English?

I tried reading the Brothers Karamazov, I thought it was a bit boring :o but I will read more from this man. I really want to read the Idiot.

Boring? :eek: I find that Dostoevsky is one of the writers that can write a novel on 1000 sides without ever boring you. I have never been bored reading a book by him. I think you should try it again. Maybe you just wasn't in the mood? And you should definitely read The Idiot, one of his very best. And you should also try, if you find the time, some of his early stuff, e.g. White Nights or The Memoirs of a Dreamer. It is a beautiful and melancholic novel. Bresson has also made a film, Four Nights In Paris, based on this book that is equally beautiful. I think, though, that it is hard to find. I had the luck to see it in a cinema four years ago.

Boring? :eek: I find that Dostoevsky is one of the writers that can write a novel on 1000 sides without ever boring you. I have never been bored reading a book by him. I think you should try it again. Maybe you just wasn't in the mood? And you should definitely read The Idiot, one of his very best. And you should also try, if you find the time, some of his early stuff, e.g. White Nights or The Memoirs of a Dreamer. It is a beautiful and melancholic novel. Bresson has also made a film, Four Nights In Paris, based on this book that is equally beautiful. I think, though, that it is hard to find. I had the luck to see it in a cinema four years ago.

I read it in a book for school. Unfortunately reveals how young I am :o. Of course I will revisit Dostoevsky's works and Russian literature in general. Tolstoy and Anton Chekhov. I thank you for your recommendations and patience because you could have just scoffed at me for finding "Brothers" boring.

Paul Auster is kind of a downer, so I started reading another book at the same time:
stupidest-angel.jpg

Christoper Moore has become one of my fave authors :) also, I shall note here that I always think of the lovely poster known as "bysshe" :blushing:
whenever I read one of his books, since she is the one who first turned me onto him :thumb: I hope she is doing well :guitar:

I read it in a book for school. Unfortunately reveals how young I am :o. Of course I will revisit Dostoevsky's works and Russian literature in general. Tolstoy and Anton Chekhov.

Literature just doesn't get better than the one written by the russians, especially the realist literature of the 19th century (and Doctor Zhivago in the 20th, one of the best russian novels that I've read). And the longer the novel is, the better. I love just immersing me in a novel on 1000-1500 pages (a Brother Karamazov or a War and Peace). Tolstoy is almost equal to Dostoevsky, by Chekov I've so far only read a collection of short-stories and I can't say that I was that impressed.

And to clarify something that I don't think was very obvious: White Nights and The Memoirs of a Dreamer is the same novel, it has two different titles, at least in swedish.

But what did you think of Notes from the Underground? At least it couldn't have been boring, considering it is quite short.

I thank you for your recommendations and patience because you could have just scoffed at me for finding "Brothers" boring.

And thank you for not scoffing at my bad english. "I find that Dostoevsky is one of the writers that can write a novel on 1000 sides without ever boring you." Of course I meant to write "a novel on 1000 pages" and not "sides". My only excuse is that the swedish word for "page" is very similar to the english word that I used. But nonetheless, a grave mistake. :o

And thank you for not scoffing at my bad english. "I find that Dostoevsky is one of the writers that can write a novel on 1000 sides without ever boring you." Of course I meant to write "a novel on 1000 pages" and not "sides". My only excuse is that the swedish word for "page" is very similar to the english word that I used. But nonetheless, a grave mistake. :o

Your English isn't bad at all especially since you expressed that you learned it as a second language. I was born in America, not to put down America as a whole, but we sure as hell don't know the first thing about the English language. On "Notes from the Underground" I think I have to read it again, but I identify with the pessimistic arrogance of the speaker and the speaker's insularity is a reminder of my own angst ridden hardships in middle school. It's a revisit to the wretched journal entries I wrote. But anyways a brilliant novella.

feeling the need for more short stories to read so I am gonna check out some R. A. Lafferty when my time on this "box-O-death" runs out :rolleyes:
so yeah, uhh, anybody else really like short stories?
if so, by who?

if so, by who?

I recommend the short story collection The Games of the Night by the swedish author Stig Dagerman. You can read one of his short stories, To kill a child, at http://hem.passagen.se/iblis/dagerman.html. It is really short, it doesn't take more than five minutes to read it. It is also probably his most well-known short story.

feeling the need for more short stories to read so I am gonna check out some R. A. Lafferty when my time on this "box-O-death" runs out :rolleyes:
if so, by who?
By Karl Hans Strobl and Daphne du Maurier.

I read it, I thought it was good, too bad it was not longer though :straightface:

Yes, it is but I still think it's magnificent. And the short-stories in Games of the Night are at least longer. :)

To Kill A Child was actually written in the early 1950s to promote traffic safety in Sweden. There are stories about how people who listened to the story on the radio while driving their cars actually stopped their cars at the side of the road and walked home, afraid of themselves killing a child. The power of literature. :)

Tags
books wit no pitchers but not much more just fuck off literary ponces long live books more to life than books nerds n squares obscurer and obscurer shakespeare is smart
Back
Top Bottom