What's the meaning of Morrissey's Linder tattoos?

joe frady

Vile Refusenik
She painted them on for his Top Of The Pops performance of 'Pregnant For The Last Time' ~
kingfish.jpg

gratitudinous feelings toward The Comtesse DeSpair

Kingfisher? Fisher King? Jesus Saves? The fish motif also appears on the back cover of Linder's monograph art book from a few years back.

Any ideas?
(I'm lookin' at you CG.......)

I thought Jake drew that? :confused:

I guess it doesn't matter who drew it, I just remember that being discussed on the frink once. I found this apt description of the kingfisher bird on wiki that might describe Morrissey. Maybe it was a private conversation where he was describing feeling simultaneously like the hunter (the bird with the name) and the hunted (they eat fish,) I'm not sure.

Kingfishers are generally shy birds, but in spite of this they feature heavily in human culture, generally due to their bright plumage or in some species interesting behaviour. The sacred Kingfisher, along with other Pacific kingfishers, was venerated by the Polynesians, who believed it had control over the seas and waves. For the Dusun people of Borneo, the Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher is considered a bad omen, and warriors that see one on the way to battle should return home. Another Bornean tribe consider the Banded Kingfisher an omen bird, albeit generally a good omen. Halcyon, which gives its name to the family Halcyonidae, is a mythical bird similar to the kingfisher.

"Ovid and Hyginus both also make the metamorphosis the origin of the etymology for "halcyon days", the seven days in winter when storms never occur. They state that these were originally the seven days each year (either side of the shortest day of the year) during which Alcyone ([as a kingfisher]) laid her eggs and made her nest on the beach and during which her father Aeolus, god of the winds, restrained the winds and calmed the waves so she could do so in safety. The phrase has since become a term used to describe a peaceful time generally."

The etymology of kingfisher (Alcedo atthis) is obscure; the term comes from king's fisher, but why that name was applied is not known[6].

My interpretation is rather personal, not easy to describe or particularly insightful to anyone, but I'll tell you. In "Jesus Tiems" Jesus was quite the radical thinker, not a lot of people believed him and were persecuted as a result. So if two followers stumbled across each other in the desert and weren't sure if the other was a follower, the first guy would draw an arc in the sand with a stick. If the second guy was not a follower, he'd just think the guy was doodling in the sand. If he was, he'd make the same arc in the other direction completing the fish symbol you see on the back of cars, similar to Morrissey's fish. To me the crown is of importance because the same thing is done, the drawing in the sand, but with the advent of radio and the ability to play music on a whim, a crown, invisible, is added to that secret exchange of being in Club Jesus because if you ever listen to a song and get chills in your head, that's a crown...but it's an honor that you're part of something greater and secret if you will. So sharing that crown with someone, that feeling (you know it if you've felt it) is like a quiet calling card that Linder or Jake or whoever mindlessly doodled but that nonetheless is one of the more relevant doodles of our time.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHN8GhiK7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yYHN8GhiK7I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Watching the video it seems like there were about a thousand other things Morrissey would rather be doing that day than lip-synching in a studio.

4685011261_710239a677_b.jpg

Wasn't that a couple of years before Jake?

Maybe. Sometimes on the frink they like to sit around daydream about Morrissey and Jake activities for some reason, maybe I just rememebered one of those. Anyway, looking closer at the original photo, it looks like whoever did draw it put the fish on his chest too, like armor or something. I think the shirt is transparent and you can make out the fish underneath the button on right and just under his non-braceleted arm on the left.

I'm kinda digging the concept of a primarily feminine symbol being referred to as a KING. It really touches on a constant theme in Morrissey's work, the ambiguousness of male/female roles and a certain everpresent androgyneness.

The reason why it's important that I mention that it's drawn on his chest like armor is because of this dude. Or girl. The sex of the person is graphically ambiguous.

299px-charriot_carro_tarot_marsella.jpg

Anyway, on his armor is a sun and a moon, they protect him, or their principals protect him and he's able to steer his chariot without fear. Morrissey is like this charioteer with these tattoos. Clearly he's having a less-than-splendid time, but I could just be reading that emotion into the photo. But closed eyes and hands on face usually means "go away." It causes me to think at the time of this photo he was either really, really tired from "reading" whatever the hell Lady God was begging him to work for or he was just tired of being alone. I don't know. Anyway, thank God whoever has "finally decided." I think perhaps times are different for Morrissey these days.

What a fascinating thread. FOR YEARS, as a copycat, I went around drawing this very cool looking fish on my pee-chee folders, side school textbooks, bathroom stalls etc etc, never knowing what it stood for. just going by, that I liked the way it looked. Now almost 20yrs on, it all makes sense. THANK YOU soo much.

What a fascinating thread. FOR YEARS, as a copycat, I went around drawing this very cool looking fish on my pee-chee folders, side school textbooks, bathroom stalls etc etc, never knowing what it stood for. just going by, that I liked the way it looked. Now almost 20yrs on, it all makes sense. THANK YOU soo much.

I'll assume you're joking. :D

I am sated.
Thank you CG.
:)

She painted them on for his Top Of The Pops performance of 'Pregnant For The Last Time' ~
kingfish.jpg

gratitudinous feelings toward The Comtesse DeSpair

Kingfisher? Fisher King? Jesus Saves? The fish motif also appears on the back cover of Linder's monograph art book from a few years back.

Any ideas?
(I'm lookin' at you CG.......)

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This has cheered me up, hairy hands

Just don't forget me jacket potateh...

:rofl:

Well now, you see in your diagram the addition of the potato is symbollic for "pot" or Mary Juana, he being a culmination of the sacred Mary and John the Apostle all wrapped into one. You're seriously onto something Pregs. :p And I'm only sorta kidding! :D

Back
Top Bottom