Why was the image for the Complete Box Set chosen?

A

Anonymous

I was asked this trivia question recently but didn`t know the answer. I believe that Johnny Marr has explained though so does anyone know?

Morrissey chose it... I've never heard why.

I was asked this trivia question recently but didn`t know the answer. I believe that Johnny Marr has explained though so does anyone know?

That picture is also on the back of The World Won't Listen. Morrissey saw something iconic in the photograph itself, plus the four girls are supposed to represent/resemble the four Smiths...although I don't see the resemble part.

The in-joke is that from left to right the girls represent Joyce, Rourke, Marr and Morrissey.

Marr got it straight away and asked Morrissey about it at the time - who apparently said nothing, just raised an eyebrow in confirmation...

The in-joke is that from left to right the girls represent Joyce, Rourke, Marr and Morrissey.

Marr got it straight away and asked Morrissey about it at the time - who apparently said nothing, just raised an eyebrow in confirmation...

Ah, I remember. Not sure I can really see the resemblance though... the third girl is a dead ringer for Johnny, but the rest?

Ah, I remember. Not sure I can really see the resemblance though... the third girl is a dead ringer for Johnny, but the rest?

Marr is the best and the fourth girl has a Morrissey-esque jawline. The other two are pushing it a little.

I do think Morrissey has used the lookalike picture idea in some other covers too.

Can any kind soul tell me where this image if from? I remember it was from a series of photographs but I can't for the life of me remember where

Can any kind soul tell me where this image if from? I remember it was from a series of photographs but I can't for the life of me remember where

According to wikipedia:
The CD sleeve for The World Won't Listen is based on the cassette version of the sleeve layout; the original album featured a larger picture of a 1950s fairground scene, of which this is a crop. The sleeve was designed by Morrissey, using a photo by Jürgen Vollmer from the book Rock 'N' Roll Times: The Style and Spirit of the Early Beatles and Their First Fans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_Won't_Listen

Nice pic and all that, but I can't help think that this was a missed opportunity, a new cover by Morrissey would have been so much better...I'd like to know how much 'involvement' in it he actually had.

The Smiths split when I was 18. 25 years ago man!!! I'm wondering whether Morrissey will ever get over the past and be involved with legacy releases, documentaries etc. Sad when you see the love and attention that is lavished on other bands and think about what might be....

It ['The World Won't Listen' cover] represents the band to me. On the front you've got four guys who look like, if not the band, then Smiths fans. On the back you've got the female side of it - individually they really look like the Smiths: Morrissey on the far right, me on the second right, Andy on the second left and Mike on the far left. To find a picture like that is really clever. We didn't discuss it, but I understood.
Johnny Marr

Back
Top Bottom