Word In Your Ear / YouTube: Kevin Armstrong interview on working with Morrissey and being asked to join The Smiths (September 1, 2023)

New interview with former Morrissey guitarist Kevin Armstrong. Some references to working with Morrissey and being asked to join The Smiths at the 19:15 mark (there may be others, I haven't watched the whole thing yet).

Description:

Kevin Armstrong was the guitarist in the band David Bowie asked him to assemble for Live Aid and toured and recorded with him many times. Playing the guitar intro to Rebel Rebel in a stadium, he says, is “like lighting a match”. Start the Passenger with Iggy Pop and you’re greeted with “a great mass of love”. His memoir, Absolute Beginner, is “a window onto the high table of rock and roll” and full of insights into life in studios and on the road and the fathomless levels of diplomacy often required to collaborate. This entertaining pod expands upon …

… why he turned down the offer to join the Smiths.
… how Jim Osterberg transforms himself into Iggy Pop.
… the Sinead O’Connor’s tour manager’s trick to speed the band through security.
… the song Bowie dropped from the Live Aid set.
… why Michael Hutchence is “terrified of small crowds”.
… Bowie’s ex-Navy Seal minder and the old decoys-under-blankets ruse.
… why Morrissey is “thin-skinned”.
… and the eternal curse of “Imposter Syndrome”.

Order ‘Absolute Beginner’ here …
(book releases October 17, 2023)

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Word in your ear is great little podcast, started in lockdown from Mark Ellen and David Hepworths attics. They get top people on each episode, theyve had Lloyd Cole, Danny Baker, John Lydon, Andy Partridge, Billy Bragg, Bob Geldof etc and they talk about the first records they bought, first gigs etc. Always interesting stuff on there.

The segment where he speaks of Morrissey being thin-skinned about a poor NME review: I wouldn't consider that thin skinned. Maybe his two day disappearance was being introspective and studying himself as to what may have been wrong. But, what do I know...I don't know Morrissey.

mark ellen and david hepworth were two respected music journalits,first started reading and watching their interviews in the 80s,their interviews were straight down the middle with no bullplop.great to see them still doing it.

The segment where he speaks of Morrissey being thin-skinned about a poor NME review: I wouldn't consider that thin skinned. Maybe his two day disappearance was being introspective and studying himself as to what may have been wrong. But, what do I know...I don't know Morrissey.
Vanishing for two days to be introspective based on a review is, yes, thin-skinned.

What I'm not saying is it's a problem.

I think we dodged a bullet that Morrissey was ultimately unable to replace Johnny in the Smiths. We could easily have had a Suede-style situation where the band carried on, but I think it's highly likely that within a couple of years Andy and Mike would have been discarded, and the The Smiths would have turned into one of those '1 real member with a bunch of session musicians' fake bands.

I can easily believe Morrissey disappears to “lick his wounds” when faced with criticism.

Strange, but interesting, I find that even with the success as a solo artist with Viva Hate and his two highest charting singles, Morrissey was still looking to get The Smiths back together, even without Marr. That desire to get The Smiths back together, even if only in name, may have been partly fueled by the negative criticism that singles like Ouija Board received.
I think you might have the timeline slightly confused. My understanding is that Morrissey asked Armstrong to replace Marr after Strangeways in '87 - presumably around the same time they had that abortive session with Ivor Perry - then he says it worked out anyway as he ended up working with Morrissey as a solo artist a couple of years later.

That being said, it did seem throughout this period that Moz was holding out some kind of hope that his solo career was only temporary - it didn't seem to be until 'Kill Uncle' that he finally accepted that there was no chance of a reunion.

Kevin Armstrong should be recognized for his guitar work on "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" alone. It was the perfect link between Vini Reilly and Alain Whyte. No disrespect to Mark Nevin, but he never had a moment with a truly distinct guitar sound in his short stint with Morrissey.

Kevin Armstrong should be recognized for his guitar work on "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" alone. It was the perfect link between Vini Reilly and Alain Whyte. No disrespect to Mark Nevin, but he never had a moment with a truly distinct guitar sound in his short stint with Morrissey.
Also his playing on November Spawned A Monster was amazing too, and Piccadilly Palare while we're at it.

Wait, hold on. Morrissey is thin skinned? Oh say it ain't so! And there's me thinking he was a bull in a china shop who relished the spark of conflict. Well blow me down...

Also his playing on November Spawned A Monster was amazing too, and Piccadilly Palare while we're at it.

Good fecking shout. I think his songs with M were brilliant. I don't get why M hasn't resurrected November, I hope one of his minions reads this and tells him to play it, I think the girls and Jesse and Matt could rock the shit out of that song, its a shame he didn't do it when Alain came back, it's a much better song than fecking Paris. You never know, maybe he will in Australia, It is the 40 year tour. I'll be at the New York gigs, can't fecking wait, come on M, get the feck in there.
I can't believe that anyone would even doubt what Kevin is saying is true. There are so many stories about M being thin-skinned and you can tell he is like that, when he is being interviewed or when you read his autobiography. I think he is a better these days, but not much better. The reason he was able to write such good lyrics and sing in the way he did, is because he was so sensitive and open. He has hardened up, which is good for his day to day songs but not brilliant for the songs

Good fecking shout. I think his songs with M were brilliant. I don't get why M hasn't resurrected November, I hope one of his minions reads this and tells him to play it, I think the girls and Jesse and Matt could rock the shit out of that song, its a shame he didn't do it when Alain came back, it's a much better song than fecking Paris. You never know, maybe he will in Australia, It is the 40 year tour. I'll be at the New York gigs, can't fecking wait, come on M, get the feck in there.
I can't believe that anyone would even doubt what Kevin is saying is true. There are so many stories about M being thin-skinned and you can tell he is like that, when he is being interviewed or when you read his autobiography. I think he is a better these days, but not much better. The reason he was able to write such good lyrics and sing in the way he did, is because he was so sensitive and open. He has hardened up, which is good for his day to day songs but not brilliant for the songs
Being thin skinned is nothing to be ashamed of, not that that you were suggesting it it is. As far as November goes it was the song he was singing when I first stretched out my hand in October 2002 and got a hearty grip back in reply as he sang "It's the closest you will get to love". That's how I remember it anyway. It would be fitting to play it again twenty one years later. I remember the posters for the Australian tour with the pic from the compilation The Best Of Morrissey with October Spawned A Monster scrawled at the top.

I think you might have the timeline slightly confused. My understanding is that Morrissey asked Armstrong to replace Marr after Strangeways in '87 - presumably around the same time they had that abortive session with Ivor Perry - then he says it worked out anyway as he ended up working with Morrissey as a solo artist a couple of years later.

That being said, it did seem throughout this period that Moz was holding out some kind of hope that his solo career was only temporary - it didn't seem to be until 'Kill Uncle' that he finally accepted that there was no chance of a reunion.

Thanks for that correction. Forgot that his name entered the picture that early.

Another discussion in light of his book:
Classic Album Review YT (September 8, 2023).

Kevin Armstrong: Working With Bowie Why Was Fired by Paul McCartney Playing at Live Aid

Sinéad, lots of Bowie, Tin Machine & brief bit on Morrissey (~16:30-18:00min).
FWD.

always thought paul mc cartney lacked in the humour department,sacking someone for mentioning the rutles,so much for being a saint.

Word in your ear is great little podcast, started in lockdown from Mark Ellen and David Hepworths attics. They get top people on each episode, theyve had Lloyd Cole, Danny Baker, John Lydon, Andy Partridge, Billy Bragg, Bob Geldof etc and they talk about the first records they bought, first gigs etc. Always interesting stuff on there.
It started in 2007 actually but they upped the output during covid

Back
Top Bottom