Would you ever buy a Morrissey single you didn't like?

Would you ever buy a Morrissey single you didn't like?

• Yes, i buy every single he releases

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • No i wouldn't - i'm not a true fan

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No, but only for financial reasons

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters
how old are you, 17? I have a wife, kid, daycare, house payment, and work at a job where the next payday isnt guaranteed. At one time I had all the singles through Southpaw, but by Maladjusted, my passion had waned and sold them all. Ringleader kind of renewed my interest, and I've rebought some things but I dont feel the need to get Alma Matters just to say "look at me I'm a real fan!" I typically buy the albums and copy the b sides from a friend later on. I'll pay for a couple concert tickets, buy some merch, whatever, but to say since I dont need all 3 versions of Paris, I'm not a true fan, that's ridiculous.

try living in the real world instead of your shell.

PS - his slump in the late 90s was EXACTLY because the quality of the music wasnt there. In 3 short years after the highs of Vauxhall, you get 2 worthless comps (World & Burglary), Southpaw, which had some intriguing moments and half filler, and then the completely blah Maladjusted, it was definitely the quality that caused his slump.

If you read my original post, i stated that financial reasons were an acceptable reason for none-purchase. Also Burglary was not an offical UK-release it was an import, i'm not including them.

Southpaw remains Morrisseys best ever solo album.

This debate seems to be going the way of the previous asking a similar question. My take then, as it is now, is that some people may be confusing a Moz fan with a Moz collector... now as a Moz collector i have bought every smiths and Moz record on the day it has been released, it started with the smiths of course where i would collect all the singles on 12" only, and the the albums of course.
Then during the solo years i started doing the same, all on 12". Then along came the Compact Disc, so all the albums were bought in that format, as eventually the singles were. I'll be totally honest and say that there were a lot of things in the 90's i wasn't keen on, however i bought them because i, by that time considered myself a collector even though my loyalty as a fan had waned slightly. Now since the release of Quarry i would say that i became a fan once again, possibly more so than before, and have continued to buy all the records. I bought the smiths boxset even though i had all the originals on 7" and 12" but i would never say someone was not a true fan if they decided not to get it.
Now i'm sure that there are bigger fans on here than me who may not have as many records as me, because they are not collectors, or circumstances mean they cannot buy everything.
Moz Fan.............. Moz Collector...... lets not confuse the two.

This debate seems to be going the way of the previous asking a similar question. My take then, as it is now, is that some people may be confusing a Moz fan with a Moz collector... now as a Moz collector i have bought every smiths and Moz record on the day it has been released, it started with the smiths of course where i would collect all the singles on 12" only, and the the albums of course.
Then during the solo years i started doing the same, all on 12". Then along came the Compact Disc, so all the albums were bought in that format, as eventually the singles were. I'll be totally honest and say that there were a lot of things in the 90's i wasn't keen on, however i bought them because i, by that time considered myself a collector even though my loyalty as a fan had waned slightly. Now since the release of Quarry i would say that i became a fan once again, possibly more so than before, and have continued to buy all the records. I bought the smiths boxset even though i had all the originals on 7" and 12" but i would never say someone was not a true fan if they decided not to get it.
Now i'm sure that there are bigger fans on here than me who may not have as many records as me, because they are not collectors, or circumstances mean they cannot buy everything.
Moz Fan.............. Moz Collector...... lets not confuse the two.

Very well said. I may be true and I may be false, but I am not a collector.

Maverick, you're not serious right? you're just really bored today and looking for reactions, right?

i just realized your name is Maverick. *John McCain and Sarah Palin flashbacks* ahhhhhhhh...

I agree with the previous statement that not buying The Smiths 7" boxset would be accaptable - that is just a case of "re-issue, re-package, repackage".

As for looking for reactions - yes i am, that is the whole point of this forum, isn't it?! But i'm not just posting stuff for the sake of controversy - i mean what i say. Unlike other posters on here, i haven't resorted to personal attacks.

And my username actually stems from my own personal nickname - i'm a semi-proffesional pool player & my nickname is Maverick, due to my audacity and unorthodox shot selection.

So, then, Maverick, what's your take on collector true fans vs. non-collector true fans, and are both equally deserving of front row seats? What difference does it make?

So, then, Maverick, what's your take on collector true fans vs. non-collector true fans, and are both equally deserving of front row seats? What difference does it make?

An interesting question - i think it's more important to want to buy the singles because you are a fan, rather than to keep a collection going. But then again, the 2 overlap, so at the end of the day, as long as you buy every single, that's ok.

Back
Top Bottom