Would you have wanted The Smiths to continue?

Would you?

• Total voters
The Smiths were magic, the chemistry was correct. There were three outstanding parts, music, voice, lyrics. Morrissey solo, while very good, is outstanding only with voice & lyrics, the music is good - but has never been great.
At some point most artists become a charicature of themselves.

Well let's look at it this way, two bands around at the time of the Smiths and still around now:

U2 & REM.

So the question is, would you rather have the Smiths as they are, four fine albums, many many classic singles & the chance to hear the band working with other people afterwards?

Or would you like a band that turned into a band like THEM (said with as much disdain as capitals allow)?

Tex said:
The Smiths were magic, the chemistry was correct. There were three outstanding parts, music, voice, lyrics. Morrissey solo, while very good, is outstanding only with voice & lyrics, the music is good - but has never been great.
At some point most artists become a charicature of themselves.

You are so right about the musical aspect of Morrissey. It is lacking the intensity and coherence of The Smiths. At times it feels like poetry being read to a music track--not that that isn't great. Hell, Bob Dylan became an icon with that same method.

Sore Lips said:
You are so right about the musical aspect of Morrissey. It is lacking the intensity and coherence of The Smiths. At times it feels like poetry being read to a music track--not that that isn't great. Hell, Bob Dylan became an icon with that same method.

But listening to Bob Dylan is tantamout to watching paint dry which makes it very unfair comparison to make.

I voted yes but I'd never want to see them re-form.

As much as I love Moz as a solo artist I can't understand anyone preferring him to the Smiths. I can only imagine it would be out of a divine loyalty to the Mozfather to reject all of his previous incarnations in favour of what he is now.

The Smiths to me were the most perfect band that ever existed. Moz is almost perfect but most of his albums have a bit of "filler". The only filler The Smiths ever produced were thost bloody cover versions.

Sore Lips said:

It would have been tough to keep them together. Im sure it would have produced some great stuff, but I think its near impossible for a band to produce a high level for 20 years or more.....Im not sure its really been done. God status yes, but then again they already have that.
Mozzer will always keep me coming back for more, because there are always gems on every album, but the music is often flat.

On a side note, it seems most of the Solo fans are the newer fans, or fans that were too young or not into the Smiths when they were together.

Back
Top Bottom