Morrissey Central "YOU KNOW I COULDN’T LAST" (July 26, 2023)

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey in every news outlet…. !
In fact, he is everywhere :eek:. He has his 5 minutes of glory. Again . Too bad it's not because of the music he creates.
Although I have a critical approach to this statement, somewhere in the deepest recesses of my heart I believe that he had good intentions.

the general public can see through celebrities and their gushing praise when someone bites the dust,i said when andy died that all these people who barely knew him would be posting on their social media feeds about how wonderful he was,social media no thanks.

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back. The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today! Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded. Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own. As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done. Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online shitposts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
After reading this article, I agree with what Morrisey has said here. Yes, now may not be the right time for Morrisey to speak out, but when is there ever a right time, he is just letting everyone know his thoughts and is speaking the truth too. Sometimes, you just have to say what you feel regardless.
I was shocked myself to hear of Sinead's passing yesterday evening and saddened too. I enjoy her music and will continue to always. I was lucky enough to see her sing live a long time ago in a town I live nearby.
So on that note, thank you Sinead for all the fantastic songs, you will live on in all our memories. R.I.P. :sunflower:🕯️

Accurate, true and called for words by Morrissey. The Guardian have picked up on the story and by way called it an impassioned ‘screed’ - which actually just proves the very point Morrissey has made.

We have lost yet another national treasure here in Éire and another of our global superstars. She will be gravely missed, dear Sinéad. 💚

Attachments

• e8901174-6466-4784-96d3-c82ea92247fc.jpeg
    e8901174-6466-4784-96d3-c82ea92247fc.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 0
Whoever said that Morrissey will have a central post planned for his own departure I think you’re right.
I can see that being how we all find out, him speaking to us from beyond the grave to inform us that he is gone with all his usual wit.

What a way that would be to go.

Whoever said that Morrissey will have a central post planned for his own departure I think you’re right.
I can see that being how we all find out, him speaking to us from beyond the grave to inform us that he is gone with all his usual wit.

What a way that would be to go.

He's already written the official obit for us: it was "You Were Good In Your Time", on "Years Of Refusal". Apparently addressed to a Brel-like figure, but that's what he's imagined himself to be for most of the past 20 years.

You said more in one day
Than most people say
In a lifetime, it was our time
And we thank you

MORRISSEY
26 July, 2023.

full

Related thread:

Media items:
Absolutely true!! I would also add that the music industry tries always to put aside singers of certain age, like if music is just an art for the young. Difficult to swallow, but Morrissey is right.

Morrissey refers to ... himself in the second sentence. It speaks for itself . It is an ocean of frustration and hypocrisy. Two examples: if he hates the music industry so much, why does he still want to be a part of it so badly. 'Cause he wants to be, doesn't he? second one : what did he do or even say to draw attention to Sinead's life situation before her death ? Maybe he did, enlighten me please .
I don't think Morrissey's support for her would have saved her life, but it's always something when you're supported by a legend and an Icon (Fiona's favorite words) as Morrissey is . I don't catch it. Not this time . Sorry .
It's money. It's always money.

A wonderful singer dies, and somehow Morrissey makes it about himself.

This is a very good interview with Sinéad O'Connor. She really verbalises why the music industry has little, or nothing, to do with art. Indeed, the industry does everything to crush the art out of the artist.
Her rendition of Irish Ways and Irish Laws, from about 16'25'' in, is spine tingling.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom